So hungry

Timothy2000
Timothy2000 Posts: 108
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
The past couple of days I have been feeling really hungry and perhaps maybe its because I ran out of insulin. I don't know I am afraid I will start snacking.

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Out of insulin?

Dude, I'm not a diabetic or a doc so I don't know much about much - but if you're insulin dependent and don't have your med I think snacking is not your biggest problem right now.

What's the deal? Do you have what you need? Do you have a way to get it? What's going on?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    The past couple of days I have been feeling really hungry and perhaps maybe its because I ran out of insulin. I don't know I am afraid I will start snacking.

Might want to fix that insulin thing before anything else.
  • Ran out a couple of days ago and waiting for them to come in the mail.
  • Shouldn't you be working or something instead of playing around online lol.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Wow, does your doc know you go days without insulin? :ohwell:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    :noway: Are you continuing to test your blood sugar so you know things aren't getting out of control? I hope it gets to you soon.
  • yes my blood sugar this morning was 150
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    If you are waiting for your insulin, perhaps you should start snacking. I'm sure you know the right things to eat if your diabetic, but if you're not already doing it, why don't you try some complex carbs and some protein every 2-3 hours just to ensure your blood sugar stays level. Might want to go easy on the fruit until you get your insulin. You can back off some of the calories from your regular meals so you can have more snacks in between....Just a thought.
  • CrystalT
    Isn't that a bit high? I'm not diabetic or a doctor, but my dad is diabetic so I know just a little. I thought you wanted to be under 100 for a fasting test. I'm worried for you. Do you have any idea when you should be getting it? Other than feeling hungry, are you feeling okay?
  • CrystalT
    If you are waiting for your insulin, perhaps you should start snacking. I'm sure you know the right things to eat if your diabetic, but if you're not already doing it, why don't you try some complex carbs and some protein every 2-3 hours just to ensure your blood sugar stays level. Might want to go easy on the fruit until you get your insulin. You can back off some of the calories from your regular meals so you can have more snacks in between....Just a thought.

I'm not so sure about the complex carbs. Complex or not, all carbs eventually turn into sugar. My dad actually counts his carbs along with his sugar. If he eats too many, he'll have a spike in his blood sugar.
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Goodness! Blood sugar of 150 is REALLY high. I believe fasting blood sugar is supposed to be between 80 - 100.

I'm hypoglecemic (opposite of diabetic) and my reading this morning was 63 and I felt like crap with it that low. I can only imagine what you felt like with 150. I would be buzzing!

Take care of yourself!:smile:
  • My husband is a type 2 diabetic, not insulin dependent, but we do deal with the occasional rollercoaster, even when following a strict diet. His doctor and the current research from the ADA indicates that it's not so much how high you are, but keeping the swings as small as possible. So 150 is crazy high for those of us who are not diabetic, but if mbh were to come to me with that as a number I wouldn't panic until he told me what the number before that was. It's the wide swings that cause the physical damage to eyes and heart and circulation and brain.

Good:
    135 morning, fasting
    150 2 hrs after lunch
    145 before bed

That's only a swing of about 15 pts.

Bad:
    135 morning, fasting
    180 2 hrs after lunch
    220 before bed

I'm not going to do the math on that one, it's just scary regardless - and sometimes it's not diet, but stress that can cause that kind of reaction. Insulin dependence is more fragile, so the rules might be different, but it does make sense to me that keeping things as stable as possible is more desirable than bringing things down abruptly.

Timothy2000, if you were mine, I'd be looking at making the diet we're eating as "simple" as possible. Unbreaded meats, as little bread or flour related foods as possible, steamed green vegetables, and lots of water. Hang in there and talk to your doctor about working out your drug plan to accommodate the days between the end of one delivery and the arrival of the next. My mother-in-law has been playing that roulette, and it's incredibly hard on her.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Going to repeat what everyone else has said. Insulin is the number one priority but really keep a close eye on your sugar levels. you can manage for alittle bit through tiny meals or snack every 2-3 hours. I am hypoglycemic and my levels vary from 40's (low) to 80's (high).

I guess the higher levels are due to the diabeties?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Timothy, I'm hoping to hear your insulin arrives in the mail today. :flowerforyou:

My best friend is Type I diabetic. Even with her pump, she has crashed twice this month. I'm not sure why her's isn't in check and I'm worried sick. The first crash, her boyfriend had to break down the door to get to her, followed shortly by EMS. The second crash, this morning, resulted her coming back to consciousness with her boyfriend mushing glucose tabs in her mouth.
  • CrystalT
    Timothy, I'm hoping to hear your insulin arrives in the mail today. :flowerforyou:

My best friend is Type I diabetic. Even with her pump, she has crashed twice this month. I'm not sure why her's isn't in check and I'm worried sick. The first crash, her boyfriend had to break down the door to get to her, followed shortly by EMS. The second crash, this morning, resulted her coming back to consciousness with her boyfriend mushing glucose tabs in her mouth.

Wow Phoenix!! Love the new pic!! You look fantastic!!
  • I am Type II as well- Solandra's advice was good advice. Good Luck. Have you priced insulin at a local pharmacy (Walmart too)? Your doc may be able to write a scrip for a vial- I think it is about $100.-
  • Phoenix_Rising

Wow Phoenix!! Love the new pic!! You look fantastic!!

:blushing: Thanks Crystal. Two years into it and only 15lbs left to goal! :blushing:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Check with your doctor. My diabetic doctor give me samples of insulin. Let him know you are out.
    Calie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Check with your doctor. My diabetic doctor give me samples of insulin. Let him know you are out.
    Calie

Great suggestion, Calie :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.