Hi, My name is Melissa and I am addicted to sugar.

Options
I truly think there can be an addiction to sugar.
It always hits me towards the end of the day, mostly when I am at work.
I get antsy and fidgety, maybe a little moody.
And then I cave in a buy me go to bag of peanut M&M's. Not the small bag.
But the bag that is meant for sharing. But of course I don't share.
As soon as I put the first M&M in my mouth I can actually feel a sense of relief come over me.
Just like when I used to smoke.

If I can quit smoking surely I can quit sugar.

I need ideas of what I can put in my pocket when I am work. I was thinking about a couple of jolly ranchers.
Sweet and they last long. Or would that not be helpful at all.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Definitely sugar is addictive.

To curb the cravings, I find the best way is to detox off for a week. Seriously... if I restrict to no sugar other than from fruit for one week, my cravings subside, my moods stabilize and I'm able to make much better choices.

Failing a complete detox, just make sure you eat a good protein source every time you eat... so don't eat anything unless you're getting something high in protein with it (like at least 10+g). If you aim for protein, fat and carbs (high fiber when possible) at every meal and snack, your body may not crave as much.

Sugar spikes cause sugar crashes cause sugar cravings cause sugar spikes cause sugar crashes... etc.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes July 2011 after smoking for 26 years and literally watching my mother die of cancer. That was an addiction.
    I've had friends die from heroin overdoses and friends destroy their lives over meth. That's an addiction.
    Sugar is yummy. That's not the same thing.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over my sugar goal.. but i don't want to stop eating sugar! I like sugar :P
  • blackschecter
    Options
    Book called Fat Flush Plan helped me cleanse without starving or having cravings too bad. I have also heard that eating a tbs of peanut butter helps when cravings hit..

But I agree that detox is best. Get it out of your system for awhile
  • michellekicks
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes July 2011 after smoking for 26 years and literally watching my mother die of cancer. That was an addiction.
    I've had friends die from heroin overdoses and friends destroy their lives over meth. That's an addiction.

Actually, research is finding it is addictive in the same way that drugs and alcohol are addictive... and completely toxic in the same way. And I do understand the severity of drug addiction.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-skinny-on-obesity-with-robert-lustig-concludes-all-episodes-now-available-on-uctv-primes-youtube-channel-2012-05-31
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

I also think sugar is very addictive. For me the best strategy seems to be cutting back by eliminating one sugary thing at a time and substituting it with a healthier option. Do you drink soda? I gave that up first and it seemed to help a lot. Also try bringing fruit snacks to have throughout the day, or even begin by cutting back the amount you give yourself. Like instead of buying a large sharing size bag of peanut m&ms, have you considered buying one of those large bags with little pre-portioned snack sized baggies of the same candy in there? Then bring 2 or 3 of them to work... and cut down the portion as you go. I'm sure it would save you calories and money too! Once you're down to one a day, the sugar cravings will be way more manageable - to the point that you could switch the candy out for fruit.

Also, have you tried trail mix? Having protein helps stave off my sugar cravings. Trail mix has nuts, which are filling, and dried fruit, which can be quite sweet. Perhaps you could pre-portion trail mix as an alternative?

I hope this helps. You are not alone in dealing with sugar addiction... it can be quite powerful.
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and substitute it for sugar. I sometimes have 1 level tsp. of sugar in the morning with my steel cut oatmeal. No soda, no refined stuff (usually). I went to a party last night and I didn't like the cake- it was amazing. But I went mostly cold turkey. I have a frozen yogurt on occasion, but I get the bigger high from fruit now, or even exercising.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    try chewing gum. i find if i dont have it at all, i dont crave it, just be strong and dont buy it, dont bring money to work if need be. you can do it! mints help also. have an apple to fend off the sugar cravings in the afternoon if gum doesnt cut it.
  • aguenther1990
    Options

Sugar is every bit as terrible for you as smoking or any other drug. It's quite addictive and because of this causes obesity. I've gotten headaches, shakiness, cold sweats, etc from quitting sugar. And it's oh so easy to start eating it again. I found that drinking diet soda make me want sugar more so I want to quit that too. What really helps though is fruit. Every time I feel like I really want to eat chocolate or ice cream I just eat an orange. I know that it has quite a bit of sugar in it but it's not refined sugar and it keeps me from bingeing on ice cream.
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options

Actually, research is finding it is addictive in the same way that drugs and alcohol are addictive... and completely toxic in the same way. And I do understand the severity of drug addiction.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-skinny-on-obesity-with-robert-lustig-concludes-all-episodes-now-available-on-uctv-primes-youtube-channel-2012-05-31

Ummmm actually it is an addiction....... it may not be alcohol or drugs but it is deadly too to people that have eating disorders like Bulimia Nervosa (aka Binge Eating or Food Addiction)
    Google Eating Disorders and Food Addiction.
    People are actually addicted to sugar, wheat and flour. I know cuz I'm one of them.....
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

Seriously? You're using a Lustig reference as evidence? :laugh:
  • michellekicks
    Options

He has certainly gained the attention of some mainstream media outlets... I originally heard of that video on 60 minutes, which is fairly reputable as far as I can trust any media anyway.

But a number of additional studies are mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

I can show you people I know who use cocaine recreationally and are not addicted in the slightest and go on to say, "See? It's not addictive at all! It's just fun." But tell that to the person who has lost their family and their home because of their addiction. Same with gambling. Same with alcohol. Same with any other addictive substance or behavior.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    He has certainly gained the attention of some mainstream media outlets... I originally heard of that video on 60 minutes, which is fairly reputable as far as I can trust any media anyway.

Oh my... You have much to learn my young apprentice.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I agree with the detox idea. Give your body a break from the refined sugars for a week or so and you won't crave it as much. I did it last week. For 7 days I had no fruit, no grains, no bread, no sugar period. My carbs came from my veggies. This week I tried to eat 2 whole wheat waffles and the syrup made my stomach hurt. It was so sweet, I just didn't want it.
  • leashy513
    leashy513 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sugar free gum really helps me get the sweet taste without the calories.

Packets of emergen-c give me a good boost instead of going to caffeinated drinks like coffee or soda.

Blackberries are in season and 1 serving of blackberries is pretty much a cup, they are very low fat and relatively low in carbs and sugar. Plus since it is a simple sugar so your body breaks it down pretty easy. Other berries could work too, blueberries, strawberries.

Finally, the things that have become my "go to" snack items are GoGo Squeez (http://www.gogosqueez.com/) pouches for the sweet taste and carrot sticks for the crunch. You can get go go squeez packets at walmart and qvc.

There is also always fat free or sugar free chocolate pudding if you just want the chocolate! Or no pudge microwavable brownies with fat free yogurt, they are delicious!

Hope these help!
  • craigking
    craigking Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Mellisa, how about this for a motivational thought when reaching for that carb loaded snack....

Large Spikes in Insulin Can Cause Muscle Loss!

So insulin turns OFF the fat burning switch and turns ON the fat storage switch. This is bad enough, but it can also cause you to lose lean muscle. Here is how…when insulin brings down the blood sugar levels often times it "over-corrects" by causing low blood sugar. The body normally combats low blood sugar by releasing energy from stored fat, but the high level of insulin will not allow this to happen. The only source of energy in this circumstance is protein. Your body will break down muscle protein when faced with this dilemma. It is a bad situation…gaining fat while at the same time losing lean muscle. Not a good deal at all!

Muscle tissue burns 7 times more calories than fat tissue and pound for pound is about half the physical size. This bit of info really focused me and stopped me reaching for the biscuits!!!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I use to be a massive sugar-addict. It is possible to get thorugh it.

I think the best way to get over it is to go cold-turkey. i did the Clean & Lean diet for a month and had no sugar- even no ketchup or fruit, no sugar in drinks, no diet soda, no honey etc. or anything sweet. It was hard at first but them it became easy. I find i crave a sweet taste after a meal so I usually use something bitter to take the craving away- a strong cup of decaff coffee, suck a walnut, brush my teeth or use mouth wash- it really helps (I keep these things in work as well as at home). I also carry snacks around with me- I like whole almonds (1 portion = 5 almonds, for me) 1/2 cooked cubed chicken breast, ham slices (1 thickish slice cut up), crudite (no dressing , no dips) or cooked cubed pork loin with black pepper and herbs)

I find it hard to eat sweet things now as they give me headaches and I find they taste too sweet. I have incorporated the odd bit of fruit into my diet and the occasional few raisins to add to my nuts (I've never had sugar in my drinks or drank soda so i don't miss that) I find that i crave protien now when I'm a bit munchy- but if i let myself get ravenous I do start eyeing up all sorts of carbs- chocolate, pastries, porrige etc. (and occsionally I give in and eat more than i actually needed to kill the hunger :(. I always end up regretting it and feeling bloated and sick- but it will happen again so i don't beat myself up over it)
  • Darkwolf864
    Darkwolf864 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Food is one of the worst addictions, it can be one of the hardest things to overcome; you can quit smoking - you don't need it to live, and the same goes for other serious drugs. But you can't quit food you will never be able to avoid it that's why it is so difficult.

So of course you can be addicted to sugar i don't understand why there needs to be any negativity about this issue - everyone is different and therefore have different vulnerabilities. Something that has really helped me is to look into deficiency's such as vitamins they have an incredible impact and role in your diet and desire for different types of food. Also keeps your sugar levels, level throughout the day helps immensely, when you eat something high in sugar you levels rapidly rise and then isulin is released to combat it and they crash causing you to need more sugar. If you eat food tht releases sugar slowly iit should substantially reduce cravings.

Eating disorders, particularly anorexia has the highest mortality rate of all mental health illnesses - I just wanted to highlight the seriousness of food as an addiction because many people don't relalise.

For everyone fighting addicitons I truly believe in you to overcome them, imagine yourself without it and how it will transform your life. Love and good-luck xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

But a number of additional studies are mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

I can show you people I know who use cocaine recreationally and are not addicted in the slightest and go on to say, "See? It's not addictive at all! It's just fun." But tell that to the person who has lost their family and their home because of their addiction. Same with gambling. Same with alcohol. Same with any other addictive substance or behavior.
    I can't post links because I'm on a work computer and most sites are blocked. But google "Lustig Debunked"
  • onceagainigo
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

Me too! Cake and chocolate, Diet coke or Pepsi max are the worst. I get cravings too, and I just have to have it.

On occasion i even feel a bit panicky if there is none in the house. But then I have to have none in the house, as otherwise I will go on a binge!