1200 calories and not loseing much??

Options
hi, i recently joined up, have about 10kg to lose. I have been eating 1200 calories a day and i will do a 30-40min walk X5 a week. Now its only my first week and i have stuck to this, weight myself today and lost about 700grams so not even 1 kg, Why do you think this is? im bit guttered

Replies

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Not much? You're losing 100g a day! If you kept that pace, you'd reach your goal in only 100 days. :flowerforyou:
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep, thats a really good loss for one week! Be excited! Just keep doing what you're doing and the rest will be off before you know it.
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options
    Do not give up, slow and steady wins the race, look at the bright side you LOST weight :-)

Some weeks it will be less some weeks a bit more , also if the cardio / weight training is more intense you will loose more, try mixing light jogging with your walking
  • jayfindlater
    jayfindlater Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok thanks :) just people say you loose alot at the start so expected a bit more then that lol
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Little steps before big steps. You have no room for reduction in calories because you are starting out at the bare minimum. Think about how long it took you to gain that much weight.

Try this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and subtract 200-500 from your TDEE and keep adjusting as you lose weight. Everything starts and finishes with proper nutrition.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to go by lbs. That's just my opinion, cuz lbs are smaller. Anyways 700g is like 1.5lbs or so this site I just used says. Thats a great loss!!
    How much do u weigh? U could prob eat more. Ur body might require more.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi,

You’re not going to believe this but my average is 850calories a day and i also have trouble loosing weight. I’m on the Dukan diet that’s why the calories are so low.
    I started a few weeks ago and immediately hit a plateau, for at least tree days I didn’t go down 1g but didn’t give up easily and gradually but slowly I’m loosing. It really depends on your metabolism, it changes over the years so don’t worry about not loosing as much as you though you should. Just stick to it, continue doing what you are doing and eventually things will pick up.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    What is the Dukan diet? Just curious.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Two or three things spring to mind, how accurate are the scales you are using, did you weigh at the same time, on the same day of the week, on the same scales, on the same surface, all of which will dictate how accurate you are weighing. If all of those factors are the same or pretty close, then the second thing is portion control. (I let myself down so often on this myself so I know of what I speak)

Take breakfast cereal according to my packet, 40g is a serving. In the bowl 40g is not enough to cover the bottom of my breakfast bowl, I have, according to my cereal pack, twice as much as they recommend. Same for a portion of salmon 75g which is about the same size as a credit card, and 15mm thick. Portion control comes from experience till you get it, use scales to weigh your food, if you want to “accurately” control your calories. Having said that 700g is over a pound weight and is really good to drop after just one week. Well done for that.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi,

The Dukan diet is based on a diet created by a French doctor ( Dr Pierre Dukan ) it is now very popular in the US but has been around for a while here in France.
    It basically a high protein diet using natural foods (meat, poultry etc etc) and you alternate with Protein + vegetables. There's a lot of very good information on the web about it and it’s very efficient but it’s a long term commitment. Some a against it naturally and others defend it but, just like any diet, you need to be well informed before you start it.
  • woody1983uk
    Options
    1200 Calories seems really low, i would suggest calculating your TDEE and subtracting 500 calories per day.

If you go too low you will hit a plateau very early and you wont be able to drop further. Your body will also enter starvation mode and you will stop losing weight. 1lb per week is the optimal weight loss amount.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Do not give up, slow and steady wins the race, look at the bright side you LOST weight :-)

Some weeks it will be less some weeks a bit more , also if the cardio / weight training is more intense you will loose more, try mixing light jogging with your walking
    same happened with me gud advice above
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are making great progress!

You should be proud that you are doing what you are doing and you are off the mark. Expect the worst when it comes to weigh in then anything lost is a bonus. You should be able to tell from your clothes once you are a few weeks in that MFP does work and you have the support here.

I've come back (after a year I've had things changing and put weight on blah blah) I think this site is really good (not to mention free). I thought by paying weightwatchers it would give me the oomph to work it, but I just found it confusing point counting and the site I don't think matched the enthusiasm of MFP.

Good luck anyway and keep on keeping on... feel free to add me if you want motivation :)
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't go by what other people say... we are all different! Just keep yourself mentally positive and the rest will follow :drinker:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    ok thanks :) just people say you loose alot at the start so expected a bit more then that lol

That depends how much you have to lose as an overall proportion of your total weight. Someone weighing 250lb can easily lose 10lb in their first week, however if you are not very overweight and don't have huge amounts to lose, the weigh loss will be in smaller increments.
  • argyllnikki
    Options
    Ive stuck to this religiously and am nearly at my target weight but its taking me weeks to even lose a lb now which is really disheartening and making me make silly decisions with my eating and exercise. It just seems the more I exercise the more I weigh the next day. How do I kick start the weight loss again to hit my target? I've only got 8lbs to go!
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ive stuck to this religiously and am nearly at my target weight but its taking me weeks to even lose a lb now which is really disheartening and making me make silly decisions with my eating and exercise. It just seems the more I exercise the more I weigh the next day. How do I kick start the weight loss again to hit my target? I've only got 8lbs to go!

Show your diary, otherwise noone can tell you!
  • argyllnikki
    Options
    Show your diary, otherwise noone can tell you!
    [/quote]

Not sure how to do that...:-) .. never mind i've changed the settings to public. Not sure how to show it to you though!