Hello.

Options
Hello everyone.

I'm David and I am 41 years old. Weigh 20 stone at the moment and have just signed up for a trek up Mount Snowdon in August so now is the time for me to shift this armour.

Hope to hear from other people and learn tips on how to lose weight. I just joined a gym which I am going to this afternoon so hopefully that will help too.

It's just hard when you don't have support which is why I believe these forums are great.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

David

Replies

• Ladronzz
    Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck brother...Number one tip is know your calories your supposed to eat with the Macronutrients for weightloss and hit those everyday. Of course work out as well. But persistance is the key! BTW what is a "stone" equal too in pounds?
  • scareydave
    scareydave Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks mate! 20 stones is 280 pounds so I have a lot to shake off.

I am taking Omega 3 and Fibre supplements for cardiovascular and keeping a decrease on my appetite. I don't want to hit the weights too much as I want to lose mass rather than accumulate it.

At the moment I have pains in my lower back and ankles when I walk too fast for over 10 minutes but then throughout the day this eases off so I think it is a circulatory thing. Hoping the new regime will sort things out.

Thanks for the support brother! Means a lot!

David
  • Ladronzz
    Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ahh ok thanks i always wondered what a "stone" was but too lazy to google it lol... I can understand you just want to slim up first before doing heavy weights im sure. Well feel free to add me or what not im all about wanting people to succeed if i can help with support that is the least i can do for a fellow human being :) What kind of program are you going to be doing if i can ask?
  • scareydave
    Options
    At the moment I am doing mainly cardio to get my weight off and up my circulatory system. I'm hopinh the diet and supplements will help with this too. At the moment I am only managing about 45 minutes on an exercise bike combine with about twenty minutes of weights to tone afterwards. I am hoping to get on the rowing machine and hit that for about fifteen minutes if I can. Because of the stomach it's hard on the rower as it causes my lung space to decrease because of my stomach pushing up into them.

I know it's gonna be tough but this place looks like the right place to be when doing it. Thanks again and I have added you my friend.
  • CLSostarich
    Options
    Good luck Dave and good for you taking the steps to get healthier! One day at a time and you'll get there :) Just remember not to beat yourself up if you stumble, just get right back going again the next day. Cheers!
  • scareydave
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I think the main thing for me will be gettng the inspiration to go to the gym after work as I work very long hours but it's amazing what a bit of encouragement can do! This place seems amazing.

Cheers!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Welcome!!! This is a great site. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm on here daily.
  • scareydave
    Options
    Welcome!!! This is a great site. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm on here daily.

Thanks a lot. I never knew it was such an active site? I remember joining back in 2010 just to use the calculator. I did not realise it was full of people doing the same thing.

Thanks for the welcome and friendship!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options

Thanks a lot. I never knew it was such an active site? I remember joining back in 2010 just to use the calculator. I did not realise it was full of people doing the same thing.

So glad to have you as a friend on here. My doctor was actually the one who refered me to this site and I'm so glad that he did. Everyone that I have met is so nice and supportive.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Request sent :)
  • scareydave
    Options

So glad to have you as a friend on here. My doctor was actually the one who refered me to this site and I'm so glad that he did. Everyone that I have met is so nice and supportive.

It makes sense to join something like this. You can talk to people who are in the same boat as you and also make friends along the way. You cannot beat a bit of encouragement from a friend. When you go to a gym it is very solitary as you are focused on what you are doing and nothing else around you. Thats why this place is great because you can come home, tap in what you've done and then praise others who have done the same as well as receive encouragement.

Cheers!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi pal,

Were about the same age and I used to weight about the same as you do i think, feel free to friend request me.

Welcome

A diet is a change of life not a life sentence, don't punish yourself.

PEACE
  • Becka_D89
    Becka_D89 Posts: 60
    Options
    hey, welcome to MFP :) feel free to add me if you want :) I'm here daily :)
  • scareydave
    Options
    Request sent :)

And gladly accepted. Thank you! :)
  • KellieLouise84
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and good luck with everything... feel free to add me!!
  • johnsd8
    johnsd8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave,

Good for you for joining! My Fitness Pal is so great to help keep you on track.

I just have a few simple rules to staying trim, I make sure excercise is part of my daily routine (I cycle 7miles each way too and from work), I don't cheat on Calorie recording I just use it has a healthy way to work out when I am snacking on the wrong things and pad out my diet so I don't feel hungry at those times, and I also eat all of my high Carb foods during the day, after 4pm I generally cut out carborific foods and stick with Veggies, Salad, cheese, and meat. Oh and I guzzle water...

I also don't drink Alchohol but that's just because it makes me act like a complete Moron! But it does help reduce that hard to shift fat around the stomach area

I did a Trek up Snowdon a few years ago, best thing about it is the cold pint of Guinness that awaits you at the top (my pre-teetotal days)

Anyhoo... Welcome and good luck!

Debs x
  • scareydave
    Options
    Hi Dave,

Good for you for joining! My Fitness Pal is so great to help keep you on track.

I just have a few simple rules to staying trim, I make sure excercise is part of my daily routine (I cycle 7miles each way too and from work), I don't cheat on Calorie recording I just use it has a healthy way to work out when I am snacking on the wrong things and pad out my diet so I don't feel hungry at those times, and I also eat all of my high Carb foods during the day, after 4pm I generally cut out carborific foods and stick with Veggies, Salad, cheese, and meat. Oh and I guzzle water...

I also don't drink Alchohol but that's just because it makes me act like a complete Moron! But it does help reduce that hard to shift fat around the stomach area

I did a Trek up Snowdon a few years ago, best thing about it is the cold pint of Guinness that awaits you at the top (my pre-teetotal days)

Anyhoo... Welcome and good luck!

Debs x

Some great advice there Debs, thanks a lot! I have cut out alcohol a lot over the last week and am guzzling water like you said. I start my gym today at 4pm so I am hoping to add some additions to my exercise wall today.

Snowdon is something my friend asked me to do and I am now going to do it in memory of my nephew and niece. Plus I think it will be a great start to my healthier lifestyle. Straight in at the deep end so to speak lol.

Take care

David