I have a problem

Options

Replies

• kneasles
    kneasles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was in an abusive relationship where food was a privilege and I couldn't store food in the fridge because my then husband would eat it all - everything, including my share. It's taken me years to convince myself that no one is going to take my food away from me and that I don't have to eat it all right now in order to feel like I got mine.

My trouble now is that I have a roommate who like you, has anxiety about food waste. I can't make a meal where we both get our fill and then food gets stored in the fridge as leftovers. What could easily be 1-2 portions extra gets eaten within a few hours of us haven eaten the meal the first time. It drives me crazy... right back into that negative way of thinking and it's causing me to overeat too. :(

Maybe freeze the leftovers?
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    just see it this way... eating it is wasting your health right? you are better of throwing it away....and then next time you will remind yourself to coock smaller portions when looking at your bin!

i like this ^^
  • Butterflybe
    Options
    and if you're feeling a bit guilty do a little extra exercise today as your penance!
    NO. Food should not be associated with guilt. You should not look at exercise as "penance". Don't punish yourself for eating. Terrible, terrible idea.

I agree with Elisabeth, one should feel guilty about eating and then try and compencate it with exercose
  • Stacebob85
    Stacebob85 Posts: 95
    Options
    Extra food will always go to 'waste'; either wasted in the bin or wasted in your body when you don't want/need it. Therefore, if it's a food you don't feel you can consume as part of a balanced meal before it goes bad, or you don't want to/can't freeze it for some reason, bin it. It'll only go to waste in your body too, and will probably make you feel bad for eating it anyway.
  • skinyZ
    Options
    Extra food will always go to 'waste'; either wasted in the bin or wasted in your body when you don't want/need it. Therefore, if it's a food you don't feel you can consume as part of a balanced meal before it goes bad, or you don't want to/can't freeze it for some reason, bin it. It'll only go to waste in your body too, and will probably make you feel bad for eating it anyway.

very true, i will defo do the freezing thing from now on
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have issues with wasting food too. I am working on my mindset. All the time I tell myself that I would rather have the extra food go to waste than have the extra calories go to my waist. I still struggle, but sometimes saying that to myself helps.
  • K1mmer
    K1mmer Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Exactly this. Well said.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    it is a thought, but if you live out in the country and do your own gardening.... you could start a compost bin, then your not wasting it, but instead preparing for a future meal with it

i live on the 5 th floor of a flat in the city :laugh:

Do some investigation - many cities have community gardens around where there is public composting and anyone can take stuff for composting. Yes, you might have to travel a little to get there (and keep the food in the fridge or freezer), but if you could build that into even a once-a-week trip you'd be helping yourself, the community, and if you can walk to the community area you'll get some extra exercise as well.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    throw all the food you must not eat OUT!! My Mom had this problem too & it caused her a lifetime of weight issues & diabetes! Throw it out, you will be happy you did.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't WASTE food on your WAIST!! Freeze it for later, or make a plate and walk it over to a neighbor, friend, stranger you'd like to meet :smile:
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump, raised the same way. Drives me crazy to see people waste food
  • skinyZ
    Options
    it is a thought, but if you live out in the country and do your own gardening.... you could start a compost bin, then your not wasting it, but instead preparing for a future meal with it

i live on the 5 th floor of a flat in the city :laugh:

Do some investigation - many cities have community gardens around where there is public composting and anyone can take stuff for composting. Yes, you might have to travel a little to get there (and keep the food in the fridge or freezer), but if you could build that into even a once-a-week trip you'd be helping yourself, the community, and if you can walk to the community area you'll get some extra exercise as well.

that is a really good idea but i gotta be honest i'm not gonna do that, im far too lazy
    but great advice for anyone else who is not as lazy as me
  • skinyZ
    Options
    Don't WASTE food on your WAIST!! Freeze it for later, or make a plate and walk it over to a neighbor, friend, stranger you'd like to meet :smile:

hehe! this could be excellent if i had a hott neighbor, nice way to break the ice...sorry my mind is thinking like a rom com :laugh:
    people are not nice where i live, i dunno, maybe its a London thing, if i offered a stranger food i dont think i'd get a good response, i can hear the people now "weirdo :grumble: "
  • skinyZ
    Options
    i do take food to family though
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was in an abusive relationship where food was a privilege and I couldn't store food in the fridge because my then husband would eat it all - everything, including my share. It's taken me years to convince myself that no one is going to take my food away from me and that I don't have to eat it all right now in order to feel like I got mine.

My trouble now is that I have a roommate who like you, has anxiety about food waste. I can't make a meal where we both get our fill and then food gets stored in the fridge as leftovers. What could easily be 1-2 portions extra gets eaten within a few hours of us haven eaten the meal the first time. It drives me crazy... right back into that negative way of thinking and it's causing me to overeat too. :(
    Another thought: When you serve the food, immediately portion it on the plates and the rest in storage containers that go immediately into the fridge or freezer (freezer is better!). Then you have your portion (and only your portion), and you have lunch or dinner for another day.
    Sounds like you and the roomie need to have an open an honest discussion about the food and how it will be divvied up. Good luck!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same mindset, but I live in the country so my solution is...goats. They eat anything. I can give all my leftovers and scraps to them and nothing gets wasted. :bigsmile:
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1) cut it in half and freeze it. Eat it later with more veggies and you won't be getting so much at one time.
    2) don't buy or cook anything that you are not prepared to finish and enjoy without guilt.
    3) this saying has helped me every since I heard it. "it is better going IN the waste rather than ON your waist. The kids will be hungry in other countries whether you eat it or not. That being said I freeze and try to use everything I make. But if it's on my plate and I am full then I am not going to eat it any way. Good luck with your journey!!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i find portion size maters i have a smaller plate so it feels your eating more.i live on my own so cook enough for say 3 days and use portion size storage containers.
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    i find portion size maters i have a smaller plate so it feels your eating more.i live on my own so cook enough for say 3 days and use portion size storage containers.
    With larger plates, larger cookware the portions have grown over the years. Get smaller plates smaller cookware and break large food items into smaller portions and nothing goes to waste... I know easier said then done but ehh
  • skinyZ
    Options
    yea i get that whole smaller plate thing but once i was at my mums, dishing out my dinner on my smaller plate feeling all good about myself then my mum said "i wish you would just use a normal plate, one of these days your food is going to fall off the plate"
    i didn't get what she meant until i looked at my plate and realized i was still piling it up! i transferred it to a bigger plate and saw that it was still a big portion just more compact, lmao! so that didnt work :ohwell:

it was a really funny moment though, she was genuinely looking at me like im insane and i was genuinely thinking i was doing really well, i have a hard time judging portion size!