Cheat day

Options
I had my first cheat day after about a month of diligently counting calories and working out. We had a family dinner party and I splurged on bbq- shredded pork, beans, cheesy corn, extra bread and I followed it all up with deep dish cookie cake! On one hand it was lovely to not have to think about what I was shoving into my mouth but now that it is all over and done with I just feel fat, bloated, uncomfortable and guilty- like it wasn't even worth it at all! Have you guys had the same experience or did I just do it wrong and over-cheat? :) I'm thinking that maybe next time I should pre-eat a large spinach salad so I can't over eat quite so much... Any other tips/advice?

Replies

• iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    Don't feel bad about your cheat day. Now that you have consumed what you have been craving and you hate the after affect. You wont do it again. Just have fun with your dieting and try not to make "cheating" a habit and you will be okay. Just remember, BURN most of the calories off the next day (:
  • caswell806
    caswell806 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have had one of those days myself. And like yourself I felt extremely guilty afterwards. Not only that I literally felt sick to my stomach afterwards. That was the only reminder I needed to keep me on the right path. So don't worry about your cheat day, just remember how it made you feel and just try not to let it happen again. Good luck in your journey!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about your cheat day. Now that you have consumed what you have been craving and you hate the after affect. You wont do it again. Just have fun with your dieting and try not to make "cheating" a habit and you will be okay. Just remember, BURN most of the calories off the next day (:

EXACTLY. that was well put. I tried the same thing, and i got real sick for two days. its amaizing how your body adjust to clean and healthy eating, and the very thing you once craved or could put away like hungry hippo- you dont ever want to see again, kind of like the tequila effect. You just learned that your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Just like I did. :) consider it a lesson learned.:embarassed:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Ditto on feeling terrible after giving into my cravings. In fact, I am reading posts on MFP to keep from eating this late night...LOL...it seems to be working...cause my craving for something sweet is passing. I am a great cheerleader...and love making friends with those who enjoy returning the cheers :):) Feel free to add me if you need and will give back the support! Good luck in your journey!!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am giving my mother a birthday party at the end of the month so I know I will cheat. I'm looking forward to it but scared at the same time, because now it doesn't take much to make my stomach hurt.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Just don't take cheat days weekly, some people on here do that and expect to still lose weight. I take mine on the major holidays (christmas, easter, thanksgiving) and on my birthday.
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    With your cheat days still eat small portions of those things you want to eat, that way you want go to bad :-) but the fact that you didn't enjoy it and feel this way now is your body changing and staying less is more.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I'm like that with McDonalds. Sometimes I just really crave their fries. I usually hold out about a month to two months, treat myself with them, and then realize how horrible I feel afterward and not want them for another month or so. Don't feel bad about your cheat day! :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is an art and a science to using "cheat days" effectively. The science tells us that weekly cheat days can accompany weight loss without any problems, but you need to make up for it with a little extra calorie deficit the rest of the week. The MFP iphone app has a great graph function that shows your calories for the week. Aim to keep that at your target, and "cheating" is not a hindrance to your weight loss.

The art of cheat days lies in finding the best method of "cheating" for you. Many people who use cheat days regularly find that their "cheats" become less and less extreme as time goes on. It is about finding the magic line that gives you the best overall experience.

For me, I find that most of my weekly cheat days are fairly minor, and I will only go over my normal daily calories by maybe 500-1500 (which might look huge to a small woman, but is not huge at all for a big guy). Maybe once a month, my cheat days could be more appropriately labeled as "binge days", and I enjoy a day of reckless gastric hedonism. Those days were more common when I started using cheat days, but I had the same gross feelings afterwards that the OP mentions.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Just don't take cheat days weekly, some people on here do that and expect to still lose weight. I take mine on the major holidays (christmas, easter, thanksgiving) and on my birthday.

I cheat one day a week and it hasn't affected me at all some times I think it helps. I gain either 1/2 a pound to 1 pound when I cheat but it comes right back off. All I know is it is working for me
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    im same as above...if u do it weekly its just no point
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    p.s - i mean go absolutely nuts not just a cheat meal...i mean 100's of cals..
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    don't worry about it. It's good to cheat once in awhile. I always do during special occasions and I don't let myself feel bad about it. i just get back on track once it's over.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Having a cheat day today as my fiance has weekend leave & it's his birthday but plan to make up for it by working out more in the week & making sure my calorie deficit for the week is on track (as suggested by somebody else in this post), it really does work!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I dont call it a cheat day...i call it a rest day...rest from counting calories (while still logging them), a rest from working out (although I usually still at least walk my dogs for a good 20/30 mins), and just a day to enjoy whatever I am doing or whomever I am with. Friday's are usually it for me because the hubby and I go out to dinner...it's frustrating to go out to restaurants and look up calories and realize...CRAP I dont want to mess up my day because I know how I will feel tomorrow.
    It's all mental and until you are so deep into the journey where you cant look back..those days are a good thing, just realize that your eyes are usually bigger than your stomach. :wink:
  • OnTheReg
    OnTheReg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day last night with pizza. I'm new only been doing this a week. I normally ate pretty healthy but at work I'd end up eating to many chips or snacks foods. When I would eat something that I consider now to be cheating I'd take fiber, it really helps digest that food and not get that real sick feeling after. The salad is a good idea so you don't go to crazy and help digest that food. I wouldn't worry about cheating though if it's not that often, I'm going to try and keep it to special occations or everyother week.
  • Hayley7611
    Hayley7611 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a cheat day weekly and lost 65 lbs in 6 months! Didn't affect me at all. I just never ate anything greasy, or loaded with carbs. Good luck :)
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a cheat day. I believe in the 3 meals for DreamShadows (the stuff I love). 18 meals of other food method.
  • Jamdej312
    Jamdej312 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!! Even though I was feeling pretty horrible last night it left me more motivated today- I'm at about a 300 cal deficit and plan to be in the same place all weekend to kinda make up for last night! I aim to eat clean at least 90% of the time and MFP pal has definitely helped with that! One calorie laden meal won't ruin all my progress and it was a good reminder to myself- the old me looooved to pig out like that with reckless abandon and wouldn;t think twice about it. The new and improved me has treated my body well and 'bad' food leaves me feeling bad- mentally and physically. I'm now able to see the silver lining of the splurge!