Eating to much Fruit

Options
Hi
I have fruit for breakfast and also snack on fruit in the afternoon probably eating a total of about 6 portions of fruit in the day.
Is this to much and can it prohibit my weight loss? If so anyone got any good alternative snacks? I also take vegetables, seeds and nuts and snacks regularly.

Replies

• rach06ao
    rach06ao Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am interested to see the answers to your question, as I have the same problem.
    Everyday MFP says I have had way too much grams of sugar, and I know its from fruit.
  • saffiyaali
    Options
    yes. Fruits contain a lot of sugar. Try cutting our fruit intake in half and see how that affects your weight loss. You can sub with protein or veg.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you going over on your calories? Do you need (or want) to restrict your carb intake?

If the answer is no to both of the above then there's no such thing as too much fruit. Canada's food guide recommends 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables daily for adults so it sounds good to me.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I eat 2 portions of fruit with my breakfast (blueberries and strawberries), then an apple before lunch (I've noticed I then eat less for lunch) and then perhaps another piece in the afternoon/evening. My sugar level is always so high and it really annoys me because there is no way I will stop eating fruit altogether. I tried hiding my sugar intake on MFP but then I do want to track how much sugar I eat in general.

Annoying!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, I think the benefit of fruit in terms of nutrition, vitamins and fibre, always outweigh any perceived costs from fruit sugar.

I no longer take sugar in tea or coffee. I don't ever add sugar to cereals. I don't drink sweet carbonated drinks...

For me, I think fruit is perfectly fine.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Nope, sounds good to me. In the UK they recommend at least 5 a day. The only way it would hinder your weight loss if you were going over your calorie allowance.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I eat 2 portions of fruit with my breakfast (blueberries and strawberries), then an apple before lunch (I've noticed I then eat less for lunch) and then perhaps another piece in the afternoon/evening. My sugar level is always so high and it really annoys me because there is no way I will stop eating fruit altogether. I tried hiding my sugar intake on MFP but then I do want to track how much sugar I eat in general.

Annoying!
    So why don't you just change your goal for sugar if it annoys you so much?
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    The Fit For Life diet (look it up) calls for eating ONLY fruit or veg from wake till midday. You can pretty much eat as much fruit or veg as you like till midday. The point I'm making is that eating 6 portions in a day is not excessive. Don't be too concerned about the sugar content either.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad, regardless of going over calories or not. So if you ate fruit all day and nothing else, you'd be perfect?

A lot of natural sugar in fruit which is much better than refined sugar but in excess, what you don't burn off is metabolised and stored. Cut the fruit back or limit it to a single banana and apple as these are amongst the worst.

Then eat more protein and the fat will start to disappear.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    fruit is fine, i don't stay within the mfp limit either.
    but if you want to cut down on it try eating tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, celery, belpeppers, radishes and so on instead.
    living in ireland, most of the fruits here don't taste that great, so i need to force myself to eat them.
    and try avoiding fruits that are xtra sweet or too ripe, like grapes, mangoes, bananas, pineapple etc
    stick to apples, pears, strawberry, blueberry, melon and that kind of stuff.
  • Chellie74
    Chellie74 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was told that 40 grams of sugar is MAX, you should be having a day. Not over. Bananas and Watermelon are high in sugar - so becareful! :)
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    delikium is that you in your pic?
  • RhianSteph
    RhianSteph Posts: 26
    Options
    I disagree with most of these posts. i actually think you can eat too much fruit, believe me when i say I was a fruit-aholic at one point. I was eating good in every way but eating soooo much fruit (excessively mind) around 8 in a day and only managed to loose 0.5 lbs in a week. I cut down and managed to loose 3 the next....
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking my sugar 'cause I eat a lot of fruit and it was always high. I love fruit and the balance of the nutirents/vitamins/fibre out weights (to me) the higher sugar content.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    i eat alot of fruit daily...look at my diary...its never affected my weight loss and im not that over weight plus its better than snacking on crap...i make sure im strict with meals though..i prob have 5 or 6 portions a day..
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Mmmm the usual advice is that you can't eat too much fruit, but I have to say I'm not at all sure about this! I've found the claories quite hard to accommodate and these days I get very good vegetable intake instead, which I feel is healthier and works better for me. Also two of my friends who were great fruit eaters aren't any more as they've lost most of their dental enamel.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about the sugar content in fruit, then eat fruit with a lower glycemic index, and increase the amount of vegetables.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    you may want to try and exchange some fruit for veges for variety of nutrients and to reduce sugar a bit but i can't see any problem
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything is bad!
    I have heard in a podcast of Jillian Micheals that we should think about fruits like a treat
    So obviously not more than 2-3 serving per day since they have loads of sugar and extra sugar means extra glucose n then will lead into storing the energy and storing it as FATS
    so beware of you eat too many of bananas or watermelons or mangoes (some of the fruits with very high sugar content)
    Try having more of berries, apples, Oranges etc.
    but again do not eat it more than 2-3 serving. .. I eat fruits everyday and I love berries...
    but I eat only 2 servings one in the afternoon and one in the evening and sometimes max three. ...
  • woody1983uk
    Options
    Eating fruit is good for your micronutrients but too much fruit may force you to exceed your calorie total for the day. In terms of body composition then a carb is a carb is a carb. If you arent eating a lot of bread. pasta, potatoes, sugar etc then you should be ok but if your diet is made up largely of carbs then you may need to cut back slightly.

In order to make a better judgement we would need to look at your diet as a whole rather than looking at one small element of it