Too much Protein?

Options
I am going over my protein a lot almost every day but staying in my calories. What does this do for weight loss? Is going over protein going to slow things down?

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Actually, I find the opposite. MFP's protein recommendations are way too low, and carbs are too high for most people who don't exercise a whole lot. You'll be fine going over these too-low recommendations.
  • MomofThree514
    Options
    Actually, I find the opposite. MFP's protein recommendations are way too low, and carbs are too high for most people who don't exercise a whole lot. You'll be fine going over these too-low recommendations.

Okay thanks!
  • kneasles
    kneasles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you know your % body fat (I get mine from a scale), you can estimate how much protein you should have. I've heard varying numbers(.8 to 1), but mostly it's 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass (LBM).

(100%-body fat%)/100 X weight= grams of daily protein

You can change the percent protein in your 'goals' section to fit the approximate grams needed. Adjust as your weight and body fat change. I just started about a month ago and it's working out for me so far. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i upped my protein and cycle my carbs from day to day. eating around 180 grams of protein - alternate 90 grams of carbs one day and 300 the next - since i started my weight started to drop again. i also upped my calories - 2000 on easy days and 2800 on workout days. not starving and losing weight - win/win!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you're going over on protein but still coming in under your daily calorie allowance, then it means you are trading up some fat and carb calories for protein. Almost every personal trainer in the world would applaud you for that. Most doctors would too - unless they found a condition such as a kidney disorder that contraindicated high protein.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm in the wrong thread
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just asked my trainer the exact same thing - she said you can never have too much protein. She did want to make sure I had a good carbohydrate with that protein though - like whole wheat, etc.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    barring any medical condition (that you most likely don't have or you would have mentioned it) higher protein is an excellent thing when losing weight.
    A higher protein diet will help preserve lean muscle mass as you lower your body weight.... in other words, when dieting you're losing fat and muscle.. but with more protein (and hopefully you're doing some strength/resistance training too) you lose less muscle... meaning more of your loss is fat. AND you're going to look better when you shed that fat... and your BMR will be higher as you have a more muscle mass (aka a lower body fat %)

in other words.. high protein is a REALLY good thing for someone trying to lose fat.
  • MomofThree514
    Options
    If you know your % body fat (I get mine from a scale), you can estimate how much protein you should have. I've heard varying numbers(.8 to 1), but mostly it's 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass (LBM).

(100%-body fat%)/100 X weight= grams of daily protein

You can change the percent protein in your 'goals' section to fit the approximate grams needed. Adjust as your weight and body fat change. I just started about a month ago and it's working out for me so far. Hope this helps.:smile:

That would be approximately 111 grams and I am eating less than that but I think MFP only gave me 47.
  • MomofThree514
    Options
    THANKS for all the helpful information!!
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love protein:blushing:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just asked my trainer the exact same thing - she said you can never have too much protein. She did want to make sure I had a good carbohydrate with that protein though - like whole wheat, etc.

First sentence: agree, within reason.

Second sentence, part one: agree.

Second sentence, part two: *facepalm*
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm in the wrong thread

Ha! Wrong thread, right state of mind. :bigsmile:
  • kneasles
    kneasles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What do you have your carb/protein/fat % set to in your goals section? I started out with 40/40/20 but then realistically changed it to 40/30/30. Eventually I'd like to go lower on the carb & fat (If I can get away from microwave popcorn)
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I am going over my protein a lot almost every day but staying in my calories. What does this do for weight loss? Is going over protein going to slow things down?

Won't hinder anything as stated on countless threads in this forum.
  • woody1983uk
    Options

There are millions of people trying to achieve this everyday, so well done! It wont stop you in the slightest, if anything it will be beneficial, the MFP suggestions are usually too low but if you are trading carbs for protein then keep doing this.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There is no harm at all if you eat more protein..
    I struggle a lot to let my protein intake more than 100grams per day (being a vegetarian) and I eat only 1200-1400 calories per day)
    Well done for that!
    and there is no harm from Protein thats a myth that gals should not eat protein as they can build up man-like muscles its all rubbish..
    the more protein the better it is.
    Carbs can make u full only for 1-2 hours and give you energy for couple of hours
    but Protein makes u feel fuller for longer and keep you energized up to 4-5 hours.