Have people been treated differently, after weight loss??

Options
As i have noticed, that a lot of people that never even knew i was in the room, have know decided that im worth talking to. Where this makes me a little happier, as i have new friends. It made me think, "why didnt they speak to me when i was bigger, and are they my true friends if so??". I would like to hear about if this is the same for other people??

Replies

• Ladronzz
    Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think if you weren't "good enough" to be thier friends before then forget them. They are not worth your time now..I personally treat everyone equal age, weight, race, gender etc... Anyone who acts like they are better then someone else is worth less then 0 to me. Just my opinion..
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    umm well i havent lost enough for peopel to notice a difference yet because im so big but I have noticed that being fat people do treat me differently as in worse. I injured my knee riding my bike and drs were like its cos ur fat.. i cant get pregnant im told its cos im fat, had an accident at work hurt my shoulder yer i think they thought that was cos i was fat too. Im fed up with being told im fat and i know im fat. yerp shop people and any people all treat differently since fat. I used to be skinny and was treated more like a person back then instead of a piece of meat like i am now.
  • scareydave
    scareydave Posts: 19
    Options
    Size, stature, race, religion, physicality are all individual traits of what is a human being. However, they should not be used against you as this is complete stupidity. If you were dying in the street and a doctor passing by came and administered aid, would you tell him/her to stop because they were overweight or black or wore a crucifix? Of course not. It's people like that who you don't need in your life. Stupid and selfish.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. I lost 40lbs with weight watchers years ago and found people treated me a lot better when I was slim. People working in shops were more polite and helpful, people (men mostly) on public transport were more likely to give up a seat. Silly little things like that. Then I got put on meds for my epilepsy, gained 90lbs following the same diet I'd lost 40lbs on and went back to being treated like crap by a lot of people. Including some of those who were all buddy buddy when I was a reasonable weight.

It's wrong and it's stupid but it definitely does happen.
  • jlboyla
    jlboyla Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree with you on this. I used to have a lot more friends until I gained this weight. I look at it as weeding out the fake people that dont deserve to be in my life. I have lost weight before (and gained it back obviously) experienced the same treatment. These are the shallow people that are stuck on image and those are the ones that will turn there back on a dime and look the other way if you ever need help or true support. My opinion anyway.
  • operavagabond
    operavagabond Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a change too - but I think it has more to do with my confidence and how I project myself. When I was fatter, I was so filled with self-loathing, that I'm sure people around me picked-up on that. Now that I'm truly beginning to like myself, I can see people are responding to me in kind. I've learned weight loss is also a mental game as well as physical.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I agree with operavagabond. Many of my overweight friends have a chip on their shoulder about being so big, and sometimes that makes them hard to be around. They can be very negative and unhappy. I also have some overweight friends who are sooooo happy, and they are a pleasure to be with; the time just flies by. I notice that the happy ones look and act happy and confident, while the unhappy ones look unhappy and... hmmm, wary? Maybe?

I get treated the same, regardless of my size, except I don't get hit on much when I'm bigger.