The Person I See in the Mirror...

Options
Does anyone else see the "fat" person when they look in the mirror after losing weight? I'm down 18 pounds, went from a tight size 14 to a comfortable size 10. Yesterday when trying clothes on in preperation for our beach vacation, I left the store empty handed in tears. I know I've accomplished a lot. I'm 11-16 pounds from my goal weight. I'm afraid I'll never be comfortable with the person in the mirror. Does anyone else feel this way?

Beginning weight, 164.8
Current Weight, 146.8
Goal Weight, 130-135

Replies

• linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I used to but now I remind myself that the person I am seeing in the mirror is strong and fighting her way to good health and I refuse to be asahamed of her ever again.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have this same exact problem. I was a yo-yo'ing between 12/14/16 for years and now I am 6/8. Last week I went shopping for clothes for a wedding/vacation and just felt like everything fit, but I didn't feel right... I came home with almost $200 worth of clothes and returned everything but a pair of shoes and a bra. I also had a melt down while trying to pack the clothes I do own and put clothing together. I know I am smaller, but I feel like I look bigger. I, too, still have about 12 pounds to my goal weight. I thought I'd feel so much better about myself, but I don't. I'm trying the old "fake it till you make it approach" but some days I just get so discouraged with the mirror.

It's just so frustrating isn't it? I hope you don't mind me adding you as a friend. It'd nice to have some more people on my friend's list who are in the same boat as me. We'll get there, right?
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    hunny I don't know what you are looking at but I see a beautiful girl who has accomplished a lot so far (down to 146). Look at who you have become and who you have proven wrong. You have made a healthier life style choice and you have become very good looking. Never get down on yourself and keep working hard to reach that goal. Every one of us always have something that we don't like whether we are skinny, fat, young, old, athletic, health nut, lazy, etc.

Keep your head held high!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I think I get so frustrated because people get down to size 6/8/10 and look fantastic, but even at a size 2 I still look very thick and curvy. I have a picture of myself standing next to my mother-in-law, who is the same height but weighs 10lbs more, and she looks like a complete twig next to me.

It makes no sense.
  • bigpopsonswole
    Options
    Yes I used too as well as stressing over the scale. I've learn to thing positive. Imagine and visualize what I will become and feel good about my ever change pants size.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda that way. But for me, I'll like who I see in the mirror not based on my weight or inches but what I'm doing, wearing, how my job is, and basically my mood. If I started a new fitness class or workout routine, I will suddenly like the person I see in the mirror even if there are no inches or weight loss. This is because I am learning a new activity I can physically do or am keeping up a physical program, and to me doing something like that means I might (maybe) be getting stronger or am just doing well, which I then assocate to a positive body image cause it's physical. Same is true with what I wear. When I pick things I like and am comfortable in, I like how I look SO much more than if I'm in something I am not sure I like or am comfortable in, even if it looks good.

For me, because my job is physical at times, I like my body more when I am able than when I'm not able. Or when I go from not being able to do something, to doing it and proving I can change and learn.

Would you tell your friend who is a similar size and build that they are 'fat' or not beautiful? I know I wouldn't, and yet I little my own image, so we just have to start treating ourselves like we treat our friends I think and do what we like and what makes us feel good about ourselves. Scale and size don't matter when it comes to body image, it's all in the mind.
  • rocakes
    rocakes Posts: 44
    Options
    I think as women we are just programmed to think we aren't pretty enough, that we aren't skinny enough or we aren't good enough. You are not alone. People can tell you that you are all those things but until you actually believe it you're not going to see it. You need to work on your self confidence. It took me a very long time to realize that no matter what I weigh or what I look like if you have the inner self confidence people react to that not what you look like.
    Chin up... you are all those things and more.

Rocakes
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I used to but now I remind myself that the person I am seeing in the mirror is strong and fighting her way to good health and I refuse to be asahamed of her ever again.

Thank you to everyone who posted! While I hate that others feel this way, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I know it's somewhat in my head and that never feel good enough complex that I tend to have. I love the above comment. It's one of the best one's I've seen on any forum and I plan to print it out and hang it at my desk. I may even put it on my mirror.

To those who share my pain, let's think positive today and remember that we are making changes for the better. Not just on the outside, but the inside too!. :heart:
  • hollyrenee1990
    hollyrenee1990 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Im the same way! I started out at 182 and im down to 144. My goal weight is 130. Im worried about getting there and still feeling "fat"
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do that quite often look at myself and think "fat girl". People saying you are doing great, or the "wow you have lost a lot" comments don't hit home to me most days. We are our own worst enemies and for me it's moreso when I look in a mirror. Everything is telling me I have done great my clothes are too big, the tape measure and scale are screaming it, but when I look in the mirror at myself I think "hmmmmmm boyyyy do you have work to do!". For me, I know it's in my head and I have to start thinking more positive about my appearance and celebrate how much I have accomplished so far. The media has a lot to do with how we envision our "ideal" self and it can be unrealistic.... even knowing all that I still see the "fat girl" in the mirror most days.

Now the BUT........

LOOK how far we all have come!! Whether it's 10lbs or 100lbs we are ON OUR WAY!! The road is a long one, and we must remind ourselves (as it's been said before) we didn't gain the weight overnight. Every little thing we do changes what we have done in the past... babysteps... one day at a time... don't give up!! WE CAN DO THIS!! We already have proven we can with what we have done this far!! Never give up.. don't give in.. it's going to be a long road and we are all here to support one another in getting there :)

When you feel that "fat girl" compare before and after pictures ... look at your stats... look at your diary (compare what you ate then to now) ...Do you have more energy? What fitness goals have you reached that you only dreamt of before? I bet we have more "WOW" moments than we realize :D
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep! I know exactly what you are talking about... I see that girl in the mirror...I see that girl when I fold her pants... that fat girl is every where... I was really hoping to ditch her :ohwell: ...hopefully soon!