Lose inches, not weight?

Options

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    So, it is definitely possible to lose inches without losing weight. I dropped two dresses sizes without dropping a pound (from an 8 to a 6) just from yoga, which is all strength training. My weight remained the same but I lost two inches off of my waist and everything else contracted as well. :) So take your measurements and track those, especially if you don't have a lot to lose.

If you have a good bit to lose (more than 15 pounds) and the scale isn't moving, it's probably what you're eating or how often you're moving. :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose inches and not weight. Have you taken your measurements? If not, you should. I record all of them - waist, hips, chest, thighs, calves, arms (upper and lower) and neck - I even started watching my wrist measurements, because I was losing inches everywhere, but not the pounds. I am happy with inches lost though - means I get to wear smaller clothes sooner!!

I will start. Good idea!! Do you know how that works? I was always told losing lbs is more important... Why doesn't it go down?

If you do weights, it is very possible to add lean body mass and lose inches since muscle weighs more per cubic inch than fat does... Essentially your body fat percentage is getting lower in that case and that would be a very good thing. Best wishes on achieving your goals.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    something i've recently learned, when you first start it can take up to 3 months to see real serious results, don't give up, it tool a long time to get here and the body can be stubborn, show it who's boss! tape measure can be a better friend than the scale especially in the beginning! even 1 lbs lost in the first month is better than the gains from the past!!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Heres some pictures that may help you.

Water storage in muscles, sodium and carbs in the diet, changes in muscle density, shifting of bodyfat - all effect scale weight, and make it appear you are not improving.

Inch measurements and body composition are MUCH more important then scale weight only.

Weight loss can be muscle and fat. (per the scale)

You want to loss fat and keep lean muscle - not lose weight only.

My results have been similar to below , I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) - So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. (size 7/8)

So to everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am scale weight heavier, which is fine :) Don't stress to much over the scale, or at least not as your only guide. Its a limited tool, and only ONE tool to use.

Less weight - yep you will look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, AND look good dressed AND look good nakkid. Thats a win-win :)

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

5 pounds difference - big body change
    216243219577967315_E53yF3Co_f.jpg

Fat vs Muscle
    160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_f.jpg
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! I did today! I've lost 1.5 inches off my neck, 4 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my hips! I've only lost 1.5 pounds since I've measured! Good luck to you!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    And this
    Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It�s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

When to be concerned:
    If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends� exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
    Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time!

from here
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    I have lost maybe 2 pounds in 2 weeks BUT I have lost 9.5 inches in those 2 weeks. Screw the scale, the tape doesn't lie :)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Because muscle weighs more than fat. You've probably lost inches but because of the muscle gain, it's not reflected on the scale. Take your measurements and be aware of how your clothes fit. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

It is possible to lose inches and not weight. Have you taken your measurements? If not, you should. I record all of them - waist, hips, chest, thighs, calves, arms (upper and lower) and neck - I even started watching my wrist measurements, because I was losing inches everywhere, but not the pounds. I am happy with inches lost though - means I get to wear smaller clothes sooner!!

I will start. Good idea!! Do you know how that works? I was always told losing lbs is more important... Why doesn't it go down?

1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's how your weight is distributed and not about the number on the scale. You want to lose inches. Lots of things can play factors on why your not losing the weight, but losing inches. Just bask in the glory of knowing people are noticing.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound. A pound of water is healthy if you are going from dehydrated to hydrated so that's a gain. A pound of muscle is healthy. However both muscle and water do not take up as much volume as a fat, so if the scale isn't moving but your inches are, you are losing fat but probably gaining in strength or hydration. Plus there is also the whole fact that our body will vary 2-4 pounds within a 24 hour period and for women we tend to vary based on hormones too, so the scale isn't quite as accurate as we like to think it is.
  • Ecila12
    Ecila12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    losing inches is more important but yu should add more fiber and maybe get yu get yu some water pills
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food log public? maybe something in your diet is holding back your weight loss. The posts above are full of great examples of losing size but not weight but I have a feeling there is something in your diet holding you back from the results you want.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ... PLEASE take your measurements , track your body fat % AND take photos. ...

I am one who wishes MFP would give us body fat % tickers in addition to weight tracking tickers. The focus is fitness, not just weight.

Keep going

How do you accurately track your body fat %? Weight is easy with a scale. Measurements are easy enough, for the most part, with a tape measure, even by yourself. But what gadget or method do we use to track BF%?
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 3 lbs myself but I have been lossing inches like crazy and my jeans are fitting much better. <:)
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...have watched everything I eat and am exercising every day and i have only lost 4 pounds...but my clothes are super loose and I feel better.... hold on to any positives...it will happen!!!! good luck
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've been working really hard for almost a month and have only lost one pound. People say it looks like I'm losing inches, but weighed myself this morning (first time and a week and 1/2) and nothing :(
    How does this happen? And what can I do to boost the weight loss? ( I have been recording everything I eat on here and doing good!)
    Thanks!

Congrats to you on trying to lose and for sticking with it, it's not always easy! Since your diary is closed its hard to give any suggestions regarding it or your exercise. If you want feedback on either just ask :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    it is disheartening when the scales don't show loss but you know yourself you've lost inches..I'm the same..nothing lost in over 2 weeks..in fact for me my weightloss is at a snails pace 6lbs since January is super slow and I have to say its not encouraging..but I'm like you..the inches are coming off - my work trousers is where I notice it the most - I used to have this awful muffin top (how I wish I'd taken pics of that! just for myself of course!) and now there is hardly any muffin top at all which is a good result.

People keep telling me the scales will start to show my loss soon so I'll encourage you and tell you the same ... keep up the good work and soon the lb's will be falling off :) it makes sense that this will happen eventually.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options

Because 1 cubic ft of muscle weighs more then 1 cubic ft of Muscle. SO, you could be replacing with muscle and since it weighs more in the same amount of space as fat, you can lose inches but not weight.

As for what is important, they both have their own importance. If you dont have much to lose, inches may be more of an accurate measurement. If you have a lot to lose, weigh is more important.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ... PLEASE take your measurements , track your body fat % AND take photos. ...

I am one who wishes MFP would give us body fat % tickers in addition to weight tracking tickers. The focus is fitness, not just weight.

Keep going

How do you accurately track your body fat %? Weight is easy with a scale. Measurements are easy enough, for the most part, with a tape measure, even by yourself. But what gadget or method do we use to track BF%?

It is best to have someone measure you with calipers or some other device. However, you can get a rough estimate for the sake of tracking on the web. I use two different sites:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It depends also on your size, if you have alot to lose you generally will see weight come off a little easier. But for someone that is only looking to shed lose last few pounds, well it can take a while to do. I have the same problem as you where I am not seeing the scale change as quickly as I would like. I have started taking my measurements now. If you are doing any kind of weight training u probably are gaining muscle. Muscle does not weigh more than fat as some people think, it has a different density though. One pound of fat takes up a greater amount of space than one pound on muscle. So start taking ur measurements, you most likely are gaining muscle and losing fat....but the scale stays the same, the tape measurer will give you a clue if something like this is occurring. P.S.- Make sure you are eating enough calories. If u are working out hard u need to eat more or ur body can freak out and say "Holy crap, they are starving me so I am going to hold onto this fat.....they're not taking my FAT".....but if your eating 5-6 small meals a day ur body is working to digest and keeping ur metabolism going. I need to take my own advice and probably eat a little more...lol...hope this info. helps....good luck. :wink: