Working out during your period

Options
I have found that every month when my period hits me I can barely move for the first 2-3 days. I know I should get up and go to the gym, but the cramps are killer and I have no energy at all. Am I the only one that has this problem?

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not at all. My 7th grade PE teacher told me that working out actually helps with the cramps. It might be true but the first day I can barely move, so maybe going for a 20min walk might be a good idea so as to not "waste" the day.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Same here. I actually had horrible, 'flooding' periods until I got on thyroid meds. That has really cured that but now I do get pretty bad cramps, which I never used to get. I also get "pulling" sensations around my tube area too during my periods now. I just take some ibuprofen and take it easy on working out and just do some walking.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have energy issues during this time too, but I find that when I workout even when I feel like crap and don't want to I end up feeling even better about myself. I feel like more of a success when I make myself workout even though I REALLY don't want to. Also, exercise will probably help with the symptoms. I don't get cramps anymore, but years ago I got cramps all the time and exercise actually helped HUGELY. It even helps the fatigue and bloating too. Even if you can't do a crazy hard workout try to at least do something. It'll help and you'll probably feel better about yourself too.
  • brightpebbles89
    brightpebbles89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have had.. and i gave my body what it wanted rest, hot water bottle and chocolate!
    3 days later, i got up felt better and worked my *kitten* of the next week. sometimes its good to give your body what its asking for, it works really hard for you :D
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out through the cramps and they just get worse. So I curl up on the couch take some pamprin and pray the cramping stops. Some times they get so bad I just want to cry. I used to be on birth control and it helped reduce the cramping but then the bc started causing migraines so I had to stop taking it. It's so frustrating to want to go run but you are barely able to move.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on those days (instead of warm up cardio and weights) until I reach my usual goal or until I can't stand the pain anymore. I generally go by what I feel. I mean it's nice to have a work out schedule, but it's not like a court mandated prison sentence that you can't change lol.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ON rough days like in the beginning I will cut back on the workout and even devide it up like right now I am resting between walking dogs, I just took out my neighbores dog and my old dog and in a few min I will take out my younger one then do a little bit of cardio then clean and then park it on the couch lol.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I'm the crazy b that just pushes on with cramps and all!!! LMAO!
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have no energy either. If I know my period is going to start soon, I'll exercise as much as I can before it starts and usually the first day, but after that I don't bother. I have low iron and would prefer to be strong instead of killing myself at the gym.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy b that just pushes on with cramps and all!!! LMAO!
    Same here! I used to use it as an excuse to skip a few days...or a week at the gym, but then I realized I was letting it control my life, and that's just silly.

Its just a visitor and it doesn't get to call the shots in my 'house' :glasses:

By the way...thanks for calling it your "period" and not "TOM" or "Aunt Flo" or any other silly name :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have found that every month when my period hits me I can barely move for the first 2-3 days. I know I should get up and go to the gym, but the cramps are killer and I have no energy at all. Am I the only one that has this problem?

No, don't worry about it. Lots of women claim that it helps their cramps, but I feel the same as you. I just smoke a bowl and crawl under a blanket and watch TV. There's no rule that you have to workout during your period. Don't feel guilty.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out through the cramps and they just get worse. So I curl up on the couch take some pamprin and pray the cramping stops. Some times they get so bad I just want to cry. I used to be on birth control and it helped reduce the cramping but then the bc started causing migraines so I had to stop taking it. It's so frustrating to want to go run but you are barely able to move.

Have you thought about a Mirena IUD? Before you get spooked by the IUD part, talk to your doctor. I had debilitating cramps in my teens and early 20s. Went on the pill and was a new person. Now I have 2 daughters (late teens) on the pill to help manage their cramps. I have had the Mirena for about 7 years (they last 5, then you need it replaced) because I no longer want children and I wanted a birth control that is not systemic. It has been great. No periods. No cramping. No bloating. No PMS.

Talk to your doctor. There is no reason in this day and age to be so miserable. I was missing school and work because of my periods. That is no way to live, especially when it is something you deal with every 21-28 days.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do not work out on my period. Walking makes me nauseas on the rag, moving anymore than I have to would make me cry. I don't have health insurance or money for even a discounted clinic, so I just mince about in my body as carefully as I can. You're not alone.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've done some heavy workouts during the worst days of my period, and I don't recall feeling any better afterward. It didn't help the cramps or the flow. I was happy I still managed to push through, but I think next time around I'll probably just go for a walk. There's nothing wrong with giving your body a rest. You burn extra calories gearing up for that time of the month, so I'm sure it all evens out!
  • Serena_Kitty
    Options
    I usually do something relaxing on those days, like yoga or light cardio.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options

No, don't worry about it. Lots of women claim that it helps their cramps, but I feel the same as you. I just smoke a bowl and crawl under a blanket and watch TV. There's no rule that you have to workout during your period. Don't feel guilty.

A bowl definitely helps and I don't workout durning my period either. If I do its minimal. The days leading up to it I will workout and drink more water and sometimes that helps.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    My wife skips the gyms on those days, but goes with me when I walk the dogs to get a little something going. Not so much pain, but just a basic uncomfortable feeling.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. My first two days are so heavy I am wiped; no energy. Plus I feel like someone has kicked me in the vag about 20 times. I just skip those days and stay home.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes. I'll usually belly dance or do yoga those days. For me, at least, the movements help but so does a mug of chamomile tea and my favorite movies. If you don't have the energy to move then have that be a rest day.

Have you looked into things to you do to help with your cramps? For me, hot teas and evening primrose pills help me out a LOT. A good heating pad is great too.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    (I'm not a doctor) but my good friend works for an OB/GYN who suggests all her patients with these issues take B6. She swears by it. i just started, hoping it helps!

Obviously check with your doctor/your situation to make sure ths would not interfere with any med issues you might have