Can I eat what I like?

Options
Hi I'm new here and started to diet on Monday this is my 1st day with mfp and have set a goal of 1200 calories a day which to be fair isn't that hard,I'm a big girl at 5ft 2" and weighing 89kg 13st I'd like to weigh 9st so have 4st to loose,my question is can you eat what ever you like as long as its under 1200cal or does it have to be specific foods eg can I have a slice of chocolate cake as long as its within my days cal intake? Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like. The limit on calories means I eat what I like in moderation.

You will soon find you'd rather pass on a peice of cake and instead have more food of the healthier type :tongue:
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You need to feed your body good healthy food or it wont function right. 1200 cals is really really low! I would rethink that. Also, if you want cake, eat your cake, just make sure its not every day and everything else is healthy. I eat ice cream like 3 or 4 times a week, eat 1500-1700 cals and work out hard. If you cant eat the rest of your life the way you are now, rethink what can work for you because its a life change, not a "get to my goal" change.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, just smaller portions and not as often. I do try to choose healthier options of things, but no food is off-limits to me. If I can make it fit in my calorie and macro goals and I truly want it, I'm going to have it.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I started on here I ate what i wanted as long as i was under my calorie goal (and I have a massive sweet tooth so it was a lot of junk). The weight wasn't shifting too easily though so I started eating more fruit, veg, unprocessed meat etc and not only is the weight coming off easier, I feel a lot better too. I'm a short girl too (5ft3), so I'd recommend not giving in to too many temptations.
  • supermoo2
    supermoo2 Posts: 77
    Options
    1200 cals is not enough - you should be at around 1500-1600 for weight loss but still being healthy.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - but a lot of people on here are trying to eat better and be more healthy for all sorts of reasons - it's up to you to decide whether your target is purely weight loss ( so monitoring calories in v calories out) or attending to nutrition as well.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You might want to make sure that you have enough calories available to meet your goals. 1200 is the absolute bottom of the chart and when you're first starting out, it might be safer to start with 1400 - 1500? It depends on your goals for sure. I would set your MFP goals to 2 pounds a week and adjust for your lifestyle to see what it recommends.

A slice of chocolate cake will not give you the nutrients you need, but it is delicious. So if you're just starting, I say eat what you like and keep your portions in check to keep the calorie count honest. There will come a point in time where you will actually look at the cake and just walk away. Until then, have it in small portions and within your allotted calories and ENJOY.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Eat within but close to your goals to lose weight and think of nourishing your body as your primary purpose for food.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You will soon find you'd rather pass on a peice of cake and instead have more food of the healthier type

This!! Though it might take a while to get there, don't expect your tastes to change overnight... and it's fine to have ANYTHING just once in a while :flowerforyou:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here and started to diet on Monday this is my 1st day with mfp and have set a goal of 1200 calories a day which to be fair isn't that hard,I'm a big girl at 5ft 2" and weighing 89kg 13st I'd like to weigh 9st so have 4st to loose,my question is can you eat what ever you like as long as its under 1200cal or does it have to be specific foods eg can I have a slice of chocolate cake as long as its within my days cal intake? Thanks in advance xxx

In moderation. Your goal is 1200 calories which is the point at which most experts will agree that you need for basic nutritional health. That being said, WITHOUT EXERCISE, you really don't have a great deal of room for non-nutritional items (such as cake which is loaded with empty calories).. Of course, I do believe that any of us should be able to enjoy a piece of cake (in moderation) now and then but it has to be in moderation. The bulk of what you consume should be nutritious foods... Foods that are going to meet your body's needs ... protein, carbs, some fats, and vitamins which come from various vegetables and fruits. By eating more nutritious foods, you will find that you will be less hungry because your body has what it needs to function... Of course, we all have a desire for that slice of cake or bit of ice cream... Just do it in moderation and add exercise to your routine.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like. I do find I made some changes...like now I don't really eat ground beef or beef at all unless I go out and even then it's rare...mostly turkey or chicken.

I also found that stuff I used to eat ALL the time (like chips), don't really satisfy me anymore so I don't eat them...But that just sort of changed naturally, I didn't make myself.

The biggest thing I learned was portions
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    To be perfecty honest I eat what I like. The key is to prepare it all YOURSELF in the kitchen from fresh ingredients. If you didn't cook it, don't eat it (except in moderation of course)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I eat what I like. The limit on calories means I eat what I like in moderation.

You will soon find you'd rather pass on a peice of cake and instead have more food of the healthier type :tongue:

This.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    1200 is fine. Listen to your body.

If you've never tracked before, you'll find out quickly than you can eat a lot more food of the healthy sort, by volume, than cake. And you might choose the volume over the concentrated calories. Or not. But you can eat what you want within your calorie goals. You also might find you feel deprived and hungry with a lot of empty calories in that 1200. Or not. Just listen to your body. You might find you like new things, now that you know the caloric 'cost' of things.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You will soon find you'd rather pass on a peice of cake and instead have more food of the healthier type

This!! Though it might take a while to get there, don't expect your tastes to change overnight... and it's fine to have ANYTHING just once in a while :flowerforyou:

I can't wait until this happens to me! I can't walk by a piece of anything chocolate without wanting to grab it!
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You can eat really anything... just use common sense! If you want a treat have it but dont over indulge ... have a small piece to curb your craving a let be just that. Im a huge chocolate lover... so i found cadbury dark chocolate and i'll have a couple of squares just to get my fill. As long as i stay with my daily calorie target im happy!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

The short answer is yes, but if you take that logic to its absurd conclusion, it starts to fall apart: e.g., 1200 calories a day of chocolate cake might result in weight loss, but it will probably also result in diabetes and a host of other physical problems.

And I agree with others that 1200 calories is probably not enough, certainly not if you're exercising in any regular sort of way. You're not giving your body the energy it needs to keep going, or the building blocks it needs to heal itself. You'll feel lots better if you figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), and calculate your calories from either that or your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Look here:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Assuming that you eat mostly healthy food, and the question is, do I have to give up all the fun dessert stuff completely, the answer is no, but just accept that your health progression will be slower than if you did. Most likely, it will probably be an evolution - slowly but surely, especially once you start seeing and feeling improvements - you'll start craving the bad stuff less and the good stuff more. Recently, I ditched diet soda and artificial sweeteners, two of the last items on my 'crap food but I don't want to give it up' list. (But yeah, I'll still have a small ice cream cone from time to time... I just work it into my calorie plan, and make sure I don't miss the next day's workout.)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want and lose weight, as long as you don't go over your calories. Of course you know you aren't going to be healthy if you eat nothing but junk. But a piece of cake is fine.

One thing to keep in mind - 1200 calories is a decent amount of food if it's mostly vegetables and lean meats. If you eat a lot of junk food you will blow through the 1200 pretty quickly and not feel full.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I can't wait until this happens to me! I can't walk by a piece of anything chocolate without wanting to grab it!

I doubt I'll ever be able to walk by without some part of me wanting it - and for me, it's brownies. Man, I will never ever *not* want to eat a good brownie. But the other part of your brain kicks in and says, 'yeah, but that's gonna make me feel like crap,' and then it's just a matter of which side of your brain wins the dialog. Or maybe you compromise and just have a really small piece, etc.

For the same reason that I can't have a TV in my bedroom (because it will end up staying on alllll night), I try to limit the amount of junk food in the house, so that's it's just a little bit harder to give in to the urges when they hit. Of course, I have a 7yo, so a totally junk free house really isn't in the cards, but every little bit helps.
  • Coliepie717
    Options
    When I first started I was at 1200 calories also and I was always going over, which discouraged me and I gave up. When I decided to start over, I changed my calorie intake to 1500 which is much easier to stay under. I eat what I want but in moderation and I have one "splurge" day a week. I try not to go totally crazy, but I let myself have more of something or something that I would not have eatne during the week. Good luck to you!