Lose inches, not weight?

Options

Replies

• Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes, I am using Oxyelite Pro and L-Carnitine.

Oxyelite Pro is a thermogenic. It speeds up your metabolism and it will make you sweat a lot when working because it's a thermogenic

L-Carnitine use the your bodyfat for energy causing you to burn more fat.

I use both together and I am getting good results

Or, you could just EAT LESS and DO MORE...

If people ate real food and kept their diet healthy, we'd put the weight-loss industry out of business.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

Take a look at that thread.

I weigh but the most important thing for me is to measure myself. I take measurements on the 16th of every month. I really don't care how much I weigh as long as I'm not flabby
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you are losing inches then the weight will eventually follow. Keep trucking!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I looked this up for people that are interested.

Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weigh 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weigh 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose inches and not weight. Have you taken your measurements? If not, you should. I record all of them - waist, hips, chest, thighs, calves, arms (upper and lower) and neck - I even started watching my wrist measurements, because I was losing inches everywhere, but not the pounds. I am happy with inches lost though - means I get to wear smaller clothes sooner!!

I will start. Good idea!! Do you know how that works? I was always told losing lbs is more important... Why doesn't it go down?

Losing lbs is NOT more important. Losing inches is. I can be a fit 150 and wear clothes that I could only wear at 135. Plus my body fat % would be lower (if I keep going like I'm going). Weight is just a number on a scale and does not define you or the work you do. HOWEVER, inches can show what you put into every workout.

There is a picture in my gym....5 lbs of fat takes up the space of about 3 oranges in your abdomen. But 5 lbs of muscle take up the space of about 3 tangerines in the same place. it is the same weight, but replacing fat with muscle will make you appear thinner even if it doesn't show on the scale.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Because muscle weighs more than fat. You've probably lost inches but because of the muscle gain, it's not reflected on the scale. Take your measurements and be aware of how your clothes fit. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat lol. It takes up less room than fat, but a pound is a pound is a pound.
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've learned that when you're losing inches but not weight, you're losing fat and building mucles (which is the right way to go if you ask me :). When you're losing weight but not inches you're losing in muscle mass and not in fat.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am using Oxyelite Pro and L-Carnitine.

Oxyelite Pro is a thermogenic. It speeds up your metabolism and it will make you sweat a lot when working because it's a thermogenic

L-Carnitine use the your bodyfat for energy causing you to burn more fat.

I use both together and I am getting good results

Or, you could just EAT LESS and DO MORE...

If people ate real food and kept their diet healthy, we'd put the weight-loss industry out of business.

AMEN!!!
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any lbs for the first 3 months,(before I joined MFP) but I did lose 5.5 inches!! I did alot of weight training to build muscle...muscles burn calories, you want strong muscles!!! Then one day the weight started dropping too. Take measurements asap, and update them every month or so. Good luck to you!!!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    That's what has happened to me too. I can tell that I have lost something because my clothes are looser and I'm feeling better. I went and did my measurements and around my waist alone I lost 3 inches...and lost only 3 pounds in the month. With my measurements I lost them throughout my body, so don't look at the scale too critically. The stress will only make it worse. I also do supplements, not alot but the major ones.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So, it is definitely possible to lose inches without losing weight. I dropped two dresses sizes without dropping a pound (from an 8 to a 6) just from yoga, which is all strength training. My weight remained the same but I lost two inches off of my waist and everything else contracted as well. :) So take your measurements and track those, especially if you don't have a lot to lose.

If you have a good bit to lose (more than 15 pounds) and the scale isn't moving, it's probably what you're eating or how often you're moving. :)

this...

i have been maintaining for a while, but my weight has actually gone up a few pounds while i am smaller than i used to be!
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been working really hard for almost a month and have only lost one pound. People say it looks like I'm losing inches, but weighed myself this morning (first time and a week and 1/2) and nothing :(
    How does this happen? And what can I do to boost the weight loss? ( I have been recording everything I eat on here and doing good!)
    Thanks!

the scales AND your tape measure should both be your friends, invariably when one stops being your friend the other reconfirms, if they both stop being your friend its obviously something else is diet, workout intensity?

i have put on 4 lbs in the last 3 weeks but lost 2 inches off my waist
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Here's my stats:

In February hit a plateau and was 174 lbs (pant size14/16, shirt size XL)
    March-started back with personal trainer 174lbs -BF 24.5%
    End of April (about 6 weeks later) 174 lbs-BF 21%
    Today 173 lbs-BF hasn't been measure yet (pant size 10/12, shirt size L)

So the scale doesn't mean anything unless you have to weigh in for a competition. I have to remind myself of this daily when I weigh in and there has been no movement on the scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Heres some pictures that may help you.

Water storage in muscles, sodium and carbs in the diet, changes in muscle density, shifting of bodyfat - all effect scale weight, and make it appear you are not improving.

Inch measurements and body composition are MUCH more important then scale weight only.

Weight loss can be muscle and fat. (per the scale)

You want to loss fat and keep lean muscle - not lose weight only.

My results have been similar to below , I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) - So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. (size 7/8)

So to everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am scale weight heavier, which is fine :) Don't stress to much over the scale, or at least not as your only guide. Its a limited tool, and only ONE tool to use.

Less weight - yep you will look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, AND look good dressed AND look good nakkid. Thats a win-win :)

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

5 pounds difference - big body change
    216243219577967315_E53yF3Co_f.jpg

Fat vs Muscle
    160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_f.jpg
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg

I LOVE these!!!!!!!!!
  • angieleekid
    Options
    WOW SOME AWESOME ADVICE AND IDEAS! THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!
    BTW, I HAVE ABOUT 50-60 LBS TO LOSE SO I HAVE QUITE A WAYS TO GO. I ALSO AM A
    VEGETARIAN SO THE CARB INTAKE IS A LITTLE HARD TO CONTROL SOMETIMES. I EAT A LOT
    OF NUTS AND BEANS, BUT I KNOW YOU CAN ONLY HAVE SMALL PORTIONS OF THEM BECAUSE
    OF THE CALORIES. STRING CHEESE IS ANOTHER SNACK I HAVE FREQUENTLY. AND TUNA
    SINGLE POUCHES. I WILL FOR SURE KEEP GOING. I WILL BE MEASURING MYSELF TONIGHT.
    THANKS!!
  • angieleekid
    Options
    VEGETARIAN SO THE CARB INTAKE IS A LITTLE HARD TO CONTROL SOMETIMES. I EAT A LOT
    THANKS!!

ALSO, I EXERCISE 4-5 TIMES A WEEK. MAYBE I NEED TO CHANGE IT UP?
    I USUALLY WALK BRISKLY FOR 10-15 MINUTES TO WARM UP AND I DO THE ELIPITICAL FOR A 1/2 HOUR THEN
    SOME STRENGTH TRAINING FOR JUST ABOUT 15 MINUTES. IT KICKS MY BUTT AS I HAVE ONLY BEEN DOING IT FOR
    A MONTH OR SO BUT I DID NOTICE HOW MUCH HARDER IT IS GETTING TO KEEP MY HEART RATE UP. I NEED TO BUMP
    IT UP A LITTLE MORE RIGHT??
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!

Lets see if we can figure this out. How many Calories are you eating a day?
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    And how can you be a vegetarian and eat tuna?
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    And how can you be a vegetarian and eat tuna?

Very good question...
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    There are many types of eating styles , that still get classed as part of the "vegetarian group", as they still primarily limit their meat consumption, to make it a smaller part of their overall diet. They still use plant food sources to meet the largest potion of their dietary needs, but not all eliminate meat entirely.

some do eat fish and veggies, but not land animals,
    some eat veggies only
    some eat veggies and eggs
    some eat veggies and diary products, including milk and cheese
    some eat poultry and veggies, but no red meat
    some eat poultry and fish and veggies, but no red meat

Carbs are a great source of fuel and energy needed for your workouts. Unless you have specific health problems with carbs, you do not need to cut them out.

Though depending on your goals, and your personal diet, you may adjust your carb ratio. Just know that if you have a carb heavy day, then you will likely have a heavier scale day for a few days from the water load pulling into your muscles. Thats not necessarily bad, as your muscles need the fluid if you are working them hard, as part of the repair and recovery.

Just another way the scale can mess with your head. :)

I would focus on your protein though, and make sure you do have high enough levels. The MFP levels are to low, and if you are doing any resistance training at all, you will need extra protein to repair and build muscle.

There are some studies that have shown to low a protein level can hamper body fat loss.

.5 to1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, or per pound of your goal weight is a rough guide.