any tips for tri-swimming?

Options
I have signed up for a local sprint triathlon. We have to swim 20 lengths of the pool. It is 2 weeks away. I can only swim 3 lengths (without stopping) right now. I am having a heck of the time with the proper breathing. I would welcome any tips! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    maybe get a session with a swim coach?
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find breathing every 3 strokes (so alternating sides) to be the best rhythm for me. I would focus more on technique than thrashing around, so make sure you are stretching your arms right forward, entering the water smoothly with your fingertips and then pulling back hard. Keep your feet just below the surface of the water, and try to maintain kicking at a constant pace.

If you are struggling doing freestyle (front crawl) then you could alternate with a few laps on your back to catch your breath?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace, try to get as long a stroke as possible and practice breathing bilaterally (every 3rd stroke).

You haven't left yourself much training time so you need to get into the water as much as you can between now and then. On race day be realistic, if you're getting tired on the swim switch to breaststroke of get on your back and (as the head coach of my tri club likes to say) count the clouds.

I've got one coming up in 6 weeks with an open water swim, I may just cheat a little and wear my wetsuit even though the water won't be that cold...
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    this is all very helpful! thank you!! I did start 2 weeks ago and used to use nose plugs. I really appreciate all these tips.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    Brian-good luck on your upcoming event!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Pay for a few lessons, and swim swim swim.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling doing freestyle (front crawl) then you could alternate with a few laps on your back to catch your breath?

I doubt VERY much that they will let you swim back stroke in a pool-based tri race. You will have a minimum of two, possibly three or 4 people in a lane. Back stroke would cause carnage is isn't usually permitted.

Check beforehand which strokes are permitted.

Get a couple of technique lessons, slow it down... you're better off stopping at the end of a length for 10 secs to catch your breath than go on your back in a pool-based tri. Open water would be different.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    ah-ok got the lessons scheduled. I am going every day until the race. also-thank you Kara, never thought of some of those points
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    often pool based tris are started in waves, based on time... usually the slowest going first.

have they asked you what your projected time for the distance will be when you entered?

usually people of similar pace will swim together, so you can avoid people having to overtake others too much. :smile:

Best of luck. :drinker: It it your first?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you have to find a rhythm to your breathing. I breathe each time my left arm comes out of the water. It's a little too fast for me, but it's the only way I can get into a sustainable rhythm.

Everyone's rhythm is different... find yours and go from there.

And the advice to slow your stroke down to help with your breathing is a good one.

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Though bilateral breathing is best, if you are a beginner and having trouble catching your breath, every second stroke is fine too. Get in the pool as much as possible between now and the race. Find out what the rules are for your race and develop a strategy in the pool for when you get tired. Are you familiar with recovery stroke? It could quite helpful. Slow and steady in the pool. Take your time and feel your movement in the water. If someone you know is a great swimmer, take them with you and have them give you tips to improve your stroke in the pool. Best of luck in your race!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you have to find a rhythm to your breathing. I breathe each time my left arm comes out of the water. It's a little too fast for me, but it's the only way I can get into a sustainable rhythm.

Everyone's rhythm is different... find yours and go from there.

And the advice to slow your stroke down to help with your breathing is a good one.

This

- but I started on right hand. Practice is the key. It is just because you are trying to do something you are not used to, like the first time you learn to drive, ride a bike, etc. Practice until it becomes nature. In two weeks if you cannot crack a rhythm as a starting base from which you can progress to every three strokes then you should be able to alternate every couple of lengths with breastroke which is a bit easier on the breathing although it is slightly harder work, over 20 lengths you should be ok
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I second the idea of stopping for 10 sec after a lap rather than doing backstroke. Also to check what strokes will be allowed. If you are going to continue to do triathlons, I would say the $ spent on 30 minutes with a swim or tri coach would be well worth it. It really shouldn't be too expensive, most gyms with a pool have a swim coach or trainer who could help you.

As a general note, try to use your arm and core muscles as much as possible to save your legs for the bike & run. The kick is important but your pull from your arms is what will really power you through the water. Focus on pulling hard underwater and reaching far forward when your hand enters the water. You also have the advantage of walls, use them to get a good push off and streamline (hands pointed like a rocket above your head, shoulders tight near your ears). It's virtually no effort but will save you a few yards of having to effortfully swim.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I find breathing every 3 strokes (so alternating sides) to be the best rhythm for me.
    Me too. Evens out any niggles from always lifting your head one side too.

It is also useful as when you inevitably become addicted to tris and end up buying a wetsuit for open water swims you'll need this technique to work out which direction you're swimming in :happy:
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are breathing out all your air while your face is in the water. You should be blowing bubbles the whole time.That way, when you turn your head to breathe, you are using all the time to take in clean, fresh air.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm just geting back into working out and I'm a weak swimmer, but one of the things my teacher said that helped me and i forgot from before was make to sure your breathing out when your face is in the water ... helped me get back into my bi lateral breathing ... I still stop alot but only swam 2 so far this year after not swimming for 10 years ...

But reading this post motivated me to go today :)
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    you guys are great!!-this has given me plenty to work with. I truly appreciate that you shared your experience to help this newbie. Yes, it is my first!