I can't work out because of my....

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that comes with living in an apartment. If you were on the main floor it would be one thing...but you live above people and should be more considerate of them...

Workout when they aren't home. Or, do the exercises at your friends house.
    Or, find another exercise that doesn't involve jumping up and down on ppl's heads.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Horse head on their pillow.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Asking them to join is a great idea! If that's not possible, buy a portable DVD player and do the workout elsewhere. Does your complex have a weight room? Maybe a nearby park would work as well. If your neighbors work or go to school at a certain time see if you can schedule your workouts around that.
    You don't want to push things so far that you get reported to management. They won't care what you're doing or why, noise disturbances are a no-no. It's not worth it to be reported as a problematic tenant to the next place you try to rent from.
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I work full time so I am out of the house from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., so I usually try to get in my work out at 6. I understand that they pay their rent and may want some quiet time, but the way they handled it is immature and rude to me. ESPECIALLY when they have crazy parties into the wee hours of the night (when I have to be up for work at 6). (<
    me being angry and inconsiderate.)

(Me being rational and what I will actually do ---->) I will definitely speak to them though and see what times work best for them. Hopefully they will be agreeable. It sucks because we asked for a first story place, but we got placed above these people.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Haha this reminds me of my brothers old apartment. His upstairs neighbors were horrible and we used to bang on the ceiling with a broom. But they were noisy about 10 hours out of the day. If you are working out really early or late I dont blame them. If its a reasonable time then ignore them. From my experience landlords dont do anything about noisy neighbors .
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Talk with them to find out if there is a time of day that they're not around, come up with a schedule that works for both of you.

this
  • CaraColleen
    Options
    I should clarify haha. 6 P.M. is my workout. Pretty normal time I feel.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been in your neighbor's shoes. I live on the second floor of three floor unit. I go out of my way to try to limit the noise for the person who lives below me meanwhile I am stuck with the inconsiderate jerk who lives above me. It is extremely frustrating. I have done the banging on the ceiling albeit not with a broom - I think it was a lamp. I'm all for people getting their exercise on, but I don't want to hear it. If you could try to work out an arrangemnet with your neighbor I'm sure they would appreciate the gesture. I know I would have.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    This is why I've never lived in an apartment complex.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I should clarify haha. 6 P.M. is my workout. Pretty normal time I feel.

Yeah I dont think 6 pm is too late. *kitten* 'em its only an hour.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I used to live on the 3rd floor of an apartment. My initial downstairs neighbors were jerks. They called the cops and told them there was a domestic disturbance in my apartment when all I was doing was moving in a table and chairs. Cops showed up and asked if they could come in I said, "Sure and you can help take the foam wrapping off these chair legs too." They just shook their heads and left. I know they complained to the mgmt several times too. Eventually they moved. People that moved in after them were much nicer and didn't complain but this guys lady was a screamer at times. So glad I don't live in an apartment building.
  • CaraColleen
    Options
    but this guys lady was a screamer at times.

^^HILARIOUS!
  • luvche
    luvche Posts: 19
    Options
    I work several nights a week (11p-7a). So on days I actually sleep regular people hours, I would be super mad if an upstairs neighbor woke my 10 month old up earlier than usual and either she or the neighbor woke ME up too. Also, When I am home during the day, it is EVER so nice around noon or one o get a cranky baby down for a nap for peace and quiet….or a nap of my own. I resent being forced to give that up, too. Or, if I have to sleep during the day because of a night shift.

My upstairs neighbor has a right to exercise, but not if it infringes on my relaxation in my own home. Saying that, I would have gone upstairs and talked to the neighbor. Not banged on the ceiling. However, in my experience with apartments, the neighbor who is loud usually doesn’t give a flying flip and will do what they please. So I hope you are a better neighbor than that :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Invite them up! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Tell your neighbor that your Parole officer told you that the P90x workout will help curb your violent tendencies towards other people. Then say, "I wished i had started it at the last apartment where I lived....I really do have remorse for that poor guy...but anyway, I'm still trying..... " Then say, "im sorry, what were we talking about again?"....

;)
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If they're guys tell them your having rough sex & they will respect and appreciate the noise.
  • mali240
    mali240 Posts: 126
    Options
    Tell your neighbor that your Parole officer told you that the P90x workout will help curb your violent tendencies towards other people. Then say, "I wished i had started it at the last apartment where I lived....I really do have remorse for that poor guy...but anyway, I'm still trying..... " Then say, "im sorry, what were we talking about again?"....

;)

hahhaaa loove it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    If you aren't breaking any written rules, I say continue on with your workout.

Part of choosing to live in an apartment means you have to accept some level of imperfection from your living situation.

Downstairs people deal with foot noise and water noise.

Upstairs people deal with smoke and side wall noise.

Choose your poison and live with it.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This is why I've never lived in an apartment complex.

Some of us have no choice....

Anyways my neighbor upstairs is always banging around and stomping. Im thinking she might be working out but who knows. Usually she does it when we are watching a movie, at a reasonable time I think we should be able to watch tv. We have surround sound so it can get loud but it's not like its 1 in the morning or something. Anyways if she's gonna be immature about it I will continue to do what im doing until she can either confront me herself or tell the office and they tell me. This girl lives alone with her dog and is so rude, took a few months for her to actually make eye contact with me and say hi...just talk to them about it
  • CaraColleen
    Options
    If they're guys tell them your having rough sex & they will respect and appreciate the noise.

Genius.