Mexican Food

Options
jkandktmom
jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
Hi all! I'm new to MFP so if this is in the wrong place I am sorry. I'm going to a Mexican resturant for my friends birthday at lunch, What would be the best thing to eat? And what should I stay away from?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• YuffieKisaragi
    YuffieKisaragi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Probably like a chicken burrito or soft taco. Definitely stay away from hard tacos and chimichangas! If you have a choice of beans go with black over refried. But also don't forget that for special occassions it is ok to cheat a little, so if you go a little over don't beat yourself up. :) With usually one cheat day a week and two several day vacations where I just couldn't stick to my limit, I have still managed about a pound a week in loss so one meal isn't going to kill you.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I usually get a chicken taco salad without the shell. If it has beans ask for whole beans. Some restaurants have a fajita salad.
  • StephEx
    StephEx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hard shell tacos are better for you than soft tacos.. I would get a hard shell taco, skip the sour cream and go for some guacemole. Drink water and eat slowly, you should be good! :)
  • jkandktmom
    Options
    It will be hard to stay away from the chips and salsa but I can do it!

This will definately be my "big" meal of the day and I will work out so I'm hoping I will be ok.
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dont cheat just for a friends birthday...cheat on YOUR birthday. You can make this liveable and just plan ahead. Stay away from chips, or measure out 12 and then eat no more. That should be one serving. THEN try like grilled chicken fijitas or shrimp or veggie fijitas. Eat a lot of pico de gallo, lettuce, dont get cheese or get it on the side and eyeball just a bit and add more only if you really want it. Also you could get a chicken taco salad but ask for no shell. If you are like me you cant resist them LOL. But good luck!! Oh and drink a lot of water or unsweet tea, heck diet coke if you want too but eat slowly and just savor it.
  • yesi911
    yesi911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you know the name of restaurant and location? It would be helpful so that we can maybe see if they have a website where they have their menu.
  • dnitcher
    dnitcher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wouldn't be cool if there was a "Seasons 52" type Mexican restaurant where everything on the menu is less then 500 cals.. someone should do that for us south of the boarder fans.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you know the name of restaurant and location? It would be helpful so that we can maybe see if they have a website where they have their menu.

you beat me to it, this is what i tend to do if im going out.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas are a good option -- the meat and veggies are grilled, you can choose to use very little toppings other than salsa. Salsa is practically a "free" food compared to guacamole, cheese, and sour cream. And it will still be yummy and filling.
  • yesi911
    yesi911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What about shrimp cocktail? I know they'll serve it with saltine crackers but you can just skip those and eat it like a soup. It's very light on your stomach and very low in calories too. Also, you can order fish ("veracruz style" if they have it)...I just made this for dinner yesterday and it was delicious with a little side of rice. Stay away from the garlic butter options. If they have grilled chicken type of dishes go with those. Ceviche is another low calorie option, like 170 calories per tostada so say if you have 2 of those, it comes out to 340. I live in Los Angeles, and the Mex food they serve in restaurans can be very high in calories, so when I go out I stick to lemon cured or cocktail juice seafood and grilled chicken stuff. I'd maybe skip the aguas frescas and tortillas.
  • jkandktmom
    Options
    It was a local ma and pa joint- so no webiste or nutrion information. I didn't do very good- the chips killed me. I feel like I lack the self-control gene sometimes. But it is inspiration to get out and exersise tonight!

I did good with the main meal- shrimp fajitas- no guac, sour cream, or shell and just a tiny amount of cheese. Next time I don't even want to see the chips.
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hacienda is in the MFP food database and it's practically run by the same people so you can use that. I did for the chips and salsa.