Losing weight to fast

Options
I have lost 14lbs in 3 days. I know I'm losing it too fast but what do you do when you see the weight coming off fast and you don't want to stop? If I eat what I should I lose it slow and I want it off now. Any comments????

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Wait how are you losing weight so fast? are you taking pills???
  • gumby09
    Options
    No, just not eating the 1200 calories. I just want it off so bad. I know the whole starvation mode and lower metabolism thing. I just don't want to believe it.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    If you lose it fast and you fall off the wagon for a couple of days you will gain it back.(which happens) If you do it slow and you fall off the wagon for a couple of days it will stay off. I know from experience.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Then you'll pay the price of it down the road. Sad, but true. A diet of 1 200 is barely sustainable on the long run.
  • daybyday815
    Options
    did you eat a lot the night before 3 days ago? That's def happened to me. Just don't freak out if you stay there for a week or so for now...
  • gumby09
    Options
    Yea I ate a lot EVERYDAY before 3 days ago.....:bigsmile:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I am not an expert and am new to this myself.

You do have a lot of weight of to loose so the first few days may be lots of water weight. Did you weigh your self at the same time of day and in the same clothing? I can fluctuate by 5 pounds from morning wake-up weight to after dinner (maybe I weigh myself to often:blushing: ) I have been trying to keep my official weight to Thursday in the morning right after I get up in the morning. Is your scale accurate? People have been posting that some scales can be off by several pounds when they weigh themselves several times in a row.

shboss posted this recently - Starvation Mode for Dummies. It may answer some questions about it. I thought the post was educational.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69708-calorie-deficit-for-dummies-a-little-long

Do you feel physically okay with the high amount of weight lost? You may want to consult with your doctor if you want to cont to lose such large amounts of weight - to ensure you are doing it safely.

I am treating MFP as a lifestyle change that I want to be permanent so I am looking for slow steady weight loss that I can keep off. Most posts that I have seen about quick weight loss diets say that they gain the weight back when they return to normal eating. It may be difficult to live the rest of your life on less than 1200 calorie diet. I have been exercising and eating between 1600 to 1800 calories and loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week :bigsmile:

I wish you lots of success on your journey. Great job for making the effort to change :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You are fine. You lose a lot of water weight in the beginning especially if you mainly ate carbohydrates and have cut those. Your weight loss will slow down by week 3-4 as you use up some glycogen stores.
    You may not want to stay at 1200 calories though. Go to tools and calculate your BMR and at least eat that if you're not going to eat exercise calories.

When I started I tried to keep up a 1300 calorie a day deficit and quickly hit a road block.

Congrats on the 14pounds. Water or not it's still weight:drinker:
    I have lost 14lbs in 3 days. I know I'm losing it too fast but what do you do when you see the weight coming off fast and you don't want to stop? If I eat what I should I lose it slow and I want it off now. Any comments????
  • gumby09
    Options
    Thank You All.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Did MFP set you that low immediately? A lot of people I know with over 100 pounds to lose started out at more than 1200 calories...that is so little! :smile:
  • gumby09
    Options
    No. I am eating that low cause I see how fast it is coming off. I know it is wrong and I am going to try harder to fix that. I also know in a couple of weeks or months I will be tired of being hungry. So, I think I need to at least eat 1200.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna eat that low you may want to change your ratios to 40-50% protein ; 20% fat and 30-40% carb so you get an adequate amount of protein for your muscle mass.

Also you may want to consult your doctor so he can know your calorie intake and maybe prescribe a multivitamin for you.
    No. I am eating that low cause I see how fast it is coming off. I know it is wrong and I am going to try harder to fix that. I also know in a couple of weeks or months I will be tired of being hungry. So, I think I need to at least eat 1200.
  • gumby09
    Options
    That would work. thanks
  • repete11
    Options
    Every book that I have read says that 1500 calories for a woman is enough to lose weight the healthy way. Also, be sure to eat back your exercise calories. That'll help a lot. You'll still lose fast and you will know you are doing it the right way. Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :heart: Congratulations on your choice to live a healthier life, and welcome to MFP!!:heart:

In my experience I gained and lost the same 10 pounds at least 10 times. It was when I viewed food as my friend, not my enemy that real changes took place.

Ivy's ticker isnt up, but she lost 70 pounds slowly. Everyone I know that stayed true, ate enough food to not be hungry.

I need 1200 to lose 1/2 lb a week because I am at goal. If you do that now, what will you do when you lose 50 pounds? Just something to think about.

Of course if you are not exercising yet, you can always add that in once you have lost some pounds and use it to kick up your metabolism.

Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,eating 1200 cals of healthy food heavy in protien, you should be fine. Just eat your exercise cals if you get them:drinker: :drinker:
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    That's awesome that you're losing the weight that quickly but on one of your responses you said that you realize at some point, you'll be sick of starving and that you'll move your calorie intake up to make up for it. That's a good plan but the problem may be that psychologically..once you get to that point, your brain may begin to tell you you need to eat everything it sees in order to make up for the month or two that you allowed your body to cope through starvation mode. You'll tell yourself, I've earned it, I can consume this or that because I spent so long eating so few calories. Well, like with any addiction (and I'm not saying you are addicted to food, but let's face it, we are all on here to learn how to use it the right way), it's a slippery slope and before you know it, all the work you've done may be lost. It's truly much better to stick to a maybe 1400-1600 calorie diet and lose weight on a more gradual pace (and judging from how quickly you are losing at 1200, you'll probably be able to kill 5-7 lbs. a week which is still superfast) than do the do or die diet you're pushing your body through right now. I myself am only allowed 1200 calories a day, I exercise 5 days a week, 45 minutes each day and I am only losing 1/2 lb. a week. Sounds sh**y, but it's the only way I can do it safely so I suck it up and do it that way. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!! You have a great headstart!!