Can anyone asnwer...calorie deficit question...

Options
Hello,

I need some advice on net calorie intake. I am 5'10" and about 205 (Down from 235). MFP says I should be consuing 2300 calories a day to meet my goal of 1.5 pounds lost per week. After all my exercises in a day I am often around 1600-1900 net daily calories. My question is: Is this too low and I am in danger of my body shutting down and storing fat??? My BMR is about 1900-2000 calories a day

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If you're netting 16-19 and you're still losing, then go with it. If you find yourself not able to lose, then I would suspect that you might need to make sure you're netting higher calories. A lot of it often just comes down to what is working for your body or not. 1600 sounds like it might be on the "too low" side. My experience would say that you might be losing slowly or plateau'ing at that calorie level.....

Is it working for you? are you consistently losing?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'10" and about 200 (down from 260, though). I have had the same questions myself. I don't think your body will "shut down" as such at those amounts, but you might want to go for 1lb loss instead. That or just try for 2000 or 1950 net cal/day. I guess it would depend on how lean you are, too, possibly.

How much are you exercising, just out of curiosity?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    On days you know you will be exercising, eat a bigger breakfast and lunch, and maybe add in a protein shake. Try to hit those recommended numbers.

It's not a big deal to miss the numbers. You'll just feel better and be able to reach better nutrition if you fuel your body correctly.
  • Alexwinterclap
    Alexwinterclap Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Basically, those numbers are general guidelines. You really have to see how your body feels. If your caloric consumption is between 1300-1800 and your exercise vigorously you should be perfectly fine. But your real goal should be fitness not weight loss, you know? Caloric and muscle confusion are key...as is exercise. If you can combine those you will reach the fitness goals your looking for. Keep going!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    There's no such thing as starvation mode, your body won't "shut down and store fat". However, if you're not eating enough (especially protein), then you won't gain muscle mass--in fact, your body might burn muscle as well as/instead of fat if there is insufficient energy from other sources.

If you're not feeling hungry, and you eat good food, then you should be OK. If you stop losing, then reevaluate and try to eat more (protein).

Also, don't feel inclined to use those extra calories with junk food. So if you have cals leftover, don't go have a big mac or a frappucino, find something healthy like fruits or veggies, or try some chicken or canned tuna (both very high in protein and quite filling).
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    There's no such thing as starvation mode, your body won't "shut down and store fat". However, if you're not eating enough (especially protein), then you won't gain muscle mass--in fact, your body might burn muscle as well as/instead of fat if there is insufficient energy from other sources.

If you're not feeling hungry, and you eat good food, then you should be OK. If you stop losing, then reevaluate and try to eat more (protein).

Also, don't feel inclined to use those extra calories with junk food. So if you have cals leftover, don't go have a big mac or a frappucino, find something healthy like fruits or veggies, or try some chicken or canned tuna (both very high in protein and quite filling).
    So if I'm not hungry after eat 800 and burning 635, thats ok ? I feel like I'm having to force my self to hit that magic 1200
  • Mizysak44
    Mizysak44 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am working out about 4-5 days a week. A mix of weights and cardio. (treadmill, jump rope etc)...Thus far things are working so I will not mess with it. I am still losing the weight. I have not hit the plateau yet so I guess I will worry at that point...

I am at about 23% body fat and am looking to get down to about 10%...hopefully by the end of summer.

Thanks guys!!!