Calories burned?

Options
I usually work out on the eliptical for 30 minutes a day. The calorie burn counter on the machine says I burned 201 calories but when I enter it in to myfitnesspal it automatically says 300 and something. Which one is right?

Replies

• TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    neither :) They're both just a guess. The closest you'll get to accuracy is with a reliable heart rate monitor that includes a chest strap. And I couldn't tell you which one is the better guess either. I compared some of my results according to my HRM with what MFP said a while ago, and sometimes MFP was under what I actually burned, other times it was about 100 calories over.
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree! The best way for me to determine my calories burned is using my heart rate monitor (with chest strap). I recently purchased one, paid about $50 at ****s sporting goods, and it has been the best investment. I love seeing how many calories I burn per workout and I find that it pushes me to burn a few more, before my workout is complete!!

I do many of my workouts on the elliptical machine and the calorie counter on the machine was never accurate or consistent. Now I finally have an accurate count on calories burned with the HRM !

Good luck on your weight loss journey !
  • teresabreeding
    teresabreeding Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into getting a heart rate monitor.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Neither one, I would get an HRM to track your calories burned because they are more accurate than any machine or website because its measuring your heart rate and it has your height weight and intensity of workout