Has anyone ever worked out intoxicated before?

Options
I'm definitely not an obsessive exerciser, as I have a set schedule that I rarely deviate from, but I've noticed that the last few times I've been out having a few drinks, I get home and have a strong urge to work out. Whenever I have a strong urge to do anything, I do it. So for the past couple of off days, I'll get home from a social event and I'll do a half hour of a weightlifting routine with my dumbbells. To be honest, I tend to push myself a tad harder than normal because of the "liquid courage". No I don't work out when I'm sloshed (as I haven't been sloshed since college) but when I have a couple of cocktails in me, I definitely feel a surge of energy. My workout feels more intense without the fatigue that comes with working out when sober. I *do not* lift as heavy as when I'm sober since I don't want to have an accident, but the intensity is still pretty high.

Anyway, I'm rambling. So who can relate to me? Anyone work out while tipsy and how was your experience while doing so?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have, and very hung over too. I ran a 10k on a very severe hangover. Not recommended.

I've worked out buzzed and I don't like it. I get tired too fast and unlike you, I don't push myself at all. I'd say, if it works for you, do it. No harm done.
  • goldenas
    goldenas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a good friend of mine decided to start running, he did it twice and hated it. Then one day just like you he was buzzed and wanted to run. So he did, and he said it was awesome, he didn't feel all the normal uncomfort and because he was buzzed time was flying and he lost track of his distance. He was about 40 lbs over weight. Now the guy is slim and trim, he ran the Seattle marathon (notoriously hard) with in a year, and at a 3:45 pace (which is pretty damn good). He said if he had kept attempting to run never encountering buzzed running, he would have given up. By the time he decided to stop drinking, his body was already pretty accustomed to running and he was comfortable doing it, and found that he was way faster. I'm not saying i condone it, I have done weight lifting while drunk (very dangerous) but I would almost definitely try running with a buzz. Good luck, remember to hydrate!!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    I've heard that it's not that bad for you. The things that could be bad are:

1) Using too much weight. Write down what you do when you're sober and never ever exceed that when you're drinking (reps/sets as well)

2) Bad form. Just be extra careful and only do moves you know well. Maybe using machines would help alleviate the risk of having bad form.

3) Going to hard and puking. Again, go easy. I've jogged home after a night of heavy drinking... my bedroom carpet wasn't too happy with me :(
  • lindseymjackson0501
    Options
    I've run after having a glass of wine and run after having a couple of beers. The wine gave me the surge of energy you described but the beer gave me a side stitch and the urge to vomit. :-)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Good to know I'm not the only one who has done this. I thought it was kinda weird.:tongue:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Just for a quick laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KCjIAhSPc

The epic fail part starts around 1:00
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Pub Runs FTW!

I've actually had a couple of glasses of wine one night and I just randomly wanted to go on a run...I think it was partly because I hadn't exercised yet that day either :P I ran for a good three miles though!
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    erm....does sex count as a work out, if so yes, i have.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding?
    Yeah.. many times.
    It was called "The Army".
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There is a meetup group in my town where you go running and drink beer at the same time. It's was a big hit for some reason. I can only think of water when Im running but I don't think it was a very far run
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've gone jogging after a couple of drinks before. That's about it though. The drinks weren't so much the issue as was the belly full of nachos.
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There was a guy here on the news here who died lifting weights whilst drunk the weights on his neck he could not lift it
  • goldenas
    goldenas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hash House Harriers! it is a running and drinking club through out the US. Run a 5k, down a 6 pack, run a 10k all while the men are in dresses. Awesome to watch, never participated.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    I do underwater resistance everyday while pounding Vitamin V!

Also a 4 mile very brisk walk each morning in the most beautiful park in Paradise with a view of the Las Vegas strip while I'm stoned to the bagebbers
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No different then going out dancing and drinking! lol
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The last thing I want to do when drunk is work out.

My mind wants much nicer things for my body than pain.
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    Are you kidding?
    Yeah.. many times.

except I mine was named Air Force. Also, I hash run....so yep!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I do underwater resistance everyday while pounding Vitamin V!

Also a 4 mile very brisk walk each morning in the most beautiful park in Paradise with a view of the Las Vegas strip while I'm stoned to the bagebbers

I don't know where to get it anymore and I don't live in a marijuana-friendly region at all, but the few times I've had some in recent years I immediately wanted to go for a walk/dance/*move*, never mind the bad back/hip/feet/everything... keep in mind this is when my life had become pretty sedentary due to chronic pain. I'd absolutely use it again now to support working out if I could find some.

I knew someone who swears by it for running.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Are you kidding?
    Yeah.. many times.
    Also the "U.S. Marines"...nothing better than a company run while hung over, or still drunk!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've gone for a jog after consuming an adult beverage or two. I'd say I was just buzzed at most.