What exercises can i do with an injured foot?

Options
Im not sure if i pulled a tendon/ligament or if i have a stress fracture, but i do know that my foot has been in this horrible pain for the last week. I took one week off from exercise (which ive paid for in weight gain =/). Ive been sticking to eating as i should, but that is never enough for me. I never ever lose weight based on eating alone and so now im concerned how i can keep losing about one pound per week. I know this is temporary (or so i hope!), but i feel like this last week was a waste and at this point my foot feels the same as last week. Normally i do Zumba, power walking, or the elipitical. The elipitical is the best as thats when i lost the most amount of weight. ...so what i can do to lose weight while my foot is causing this issue? Ive been icing it and everything but nothing is improving it. i dont want to waste anymore time because of this, but obviously i cant do anything that requires being on my feet. It hurts to point and flex it. It also hurts to put weight on it, but its not black and blue or anything. A bit swollen but nothing crazy.

Replies

• danadew18nj
    danadew18nj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    have you see a Doctor? if you are still in terrible pain, I would definitely get it checked out.

Of course I was going to suggest rest- but if you have already done that for a week I would only do seated exercises. Again, if you're still in pain after taking a week off... I highly suggest seeing a Dr.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Are there any cardio seated exercises i can do? Because cardio is the only thing thats worked in the last 4 months...extremely frustrating to say the least.

If my foot is still hurting on monday im going to go to the doctors. Its weird because it just happened out of no where. There was no one moment that i thought "man! that really hurt!" It just started hurting. I can't even sleep on my stomach because of how it extends my foot (like its pointed slightly). Ive had issues with my foot when i was a young girl, but nothing like this. Ive also broke my foot (the other one) before and it didn't feel like this either, so im just baffled.....
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Swimming!
  • Shrinkydinkydoo
    Shrinkydinkydoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last month. I sprained my ankle and started back at my Bootcamp less than a week later and damaged it further. I would say anything with no impact should be ok. I have been using my bike everyday. You could do some boxing or Swimming would also be good. I wear a support and that helps too.
  • danadew18nj
    danadew18nj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They have a recumbant bike (at some gyms) for arms. I would suggest doing that. Swimming is also a good alternative but sometimes that can create a bigger injury if you really did sprain something. I used to work in a Physical therapy office.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    Can you go swimming?
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    I dont have access to a pool.
    I think swimming would still make it hurt as you have to "flipper" your feet and pointing them (like how you would while you swim) is the exact position that hurts it.

I def. think im going to have to see the doc come monday. I'll be surprised if this doesn't stop hurting by then....wonder if this is stress fracture or tendonitis?..
  • CrankyGoatWECHANGED
    Options
    Rowing - it is an awesome cardio workout and with an easily modified footrest anyone with an injured foot could still get a full workout in ...
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How about side leg raisers and leg extensions while laying on your back or side? You can also do the bicycle motions while laying on your back.

I hope the pain goes away soon and you're fully healed.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into something called "chair yoga" or "office yoga" which involves doing yoga stretches while seated in a chair. Granted, it's often targeted to senior citizens, but I've had luck with it as a filler at work and to help when my shoulder acts up and I can't sustain my weight in some of the more traditional poses.

Granted, it's not hard core cardio, but it's exercise.

You might be temporarily limited to strength training exercises (maybe with an exercise ball)? If you're going to get the foot checked anyway, I'd suggest asking the doctor for input. At the very worst, you might just have to wait it out and give your body a stress-free period to heal. Feel better!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    - Shadow Boxing is a great cardio exercise. If you have a Wii, do the boxing game, but just sitting down... :smile:
    - You can sit in an office chair that swivels and twist at your waist, keep your good foot on the floor and just twist at the waist...
    - Get you some resistance bands and do resistance training, stretching is always good.
    - Get on your hands and knees and do let lifts (can also be done with resistance bands), kicking your leg behind you as well as to the side of you...
    - Lay on your side and do let lifts.
    - I'm sure there are some yoga moves you can do.
    - Workout with hand weights.

Try googling workout videos for seated workouts... That may help... :wink:

Just a few things I was able to think of. I sprained my ankle about a year ago and these are a few things that I did. But definitely get to a doctor before trying to do any other kind of exercise. Until you see one, try putting ice, or frozen peas (or corn) on your foot where it hurts, and wear a brace, too. That'll help support it. :wink:

:drinker: Here's to hoping you heal quickly!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into something called "chair yoga" or "office yoga" which involves doing yoga stretches while seated in a chair. Granted, it's often targeted to senior citizens, but I've had luck with it as a filler at work and to help when my shoulder acts up and I can't sustain my weight in some of the more traditional poses.

Granted, it's not hard core cardio, but it's exercise.

You might be temporarily limited to strength training exercises (maybe with an exercise ball)? If you're going to get the foot checked anyway, I'd suggest asking the doctor for input. At the very worst, you might just have to wait it out and give your body a stress-free period to heal. Feel better!

LOVE this idea!!! I have an hour at the end of my day that is usually really slow at work and that would be a GREAT time filler between calls!!! ;-D
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of experience with foot pain/injury/issues. I think I have had most of them and find it frustrating to say the least. I have had foot, not ankle, sprains, Achilles tendonitis, plantar facsitis and who knows what else. When I have a flare up I swim, it does not hurt but yours may be different. I have been to the foot doctor about 4 times in the last 12 months and the minute it starts up I ice, wrap, elevate and take some great prescription anti-inflamatory drugs (I keep then on hand just in case).

I understand the frustration, good luck and definately go to the doctor to get it checked out.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    Excellent ideas! Thank you everyone. Im glad to have some help with this!
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are there any cardio seated exercises i can do? Because cardio is the only thing thats worked in the last 4 months...extremely frustrating to say the least.

If my foot is still hurting on monday im going to go to the doctors. Its weird because it just happened out of no where. There was no one moment that i thought "man! that really hurt!" It just started hurting. I can't even sleep on my stomach because of how it extends my foot (like its pointed slightly). Ive had issues with my foot when i was a young girl, but nothing like this. Ive also broke my foot (the other one) before and it didn't feel like this either, so im just baffled.....

Every single thing in exact detail you just wrote was me last week. Legit. it came out of nowhere like you said. I was to the point that I was going to get a referral to a pediatrist. Again like you I stopped all exercise for over a week because I couldn't do anything! I finally decided to elevate and ice my foot one night just because i thought hey ya never know... I have no idea if that has anything to do with it but out of nowhere just like as quickly as it came it just as quickly went. Took about two good weeks. Weird. I am now back to the gym but taking it easy until I really feel confident i will be okay. I don't know why or how it happened but I'm glad it's finally gone. Hopefully for good!
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    I have torn ligaments in my foot and the podiatrist told me I am only allow to ride a bike. It's really good cardio and tones your legs quite nicely. I have my own spin bike at home, which make getting cardio pretty easy. Plus, you can set the resistance to where it works for you. Hope you foot heals soon!