Do I need a marriage certificate?

alexandria412
alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
Random question:

Pennsylvania makes you pay to recieve a hard copy of your marriage certificate. If I'm not changing my name, do I actually need this document for anything?

Thanks!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I have never needed it for anything besides changing my name. If you ever need it in the future, you can order one then.

The only reason I can think of that you might need it is if you want to be on your spouse's health insurance or vice versa. There could be other things. But again, you can order it later.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Are you planning on moving anywhere? If you move out of state to a different state you will need it to get a new license. A coworker learned that the hard way. She was married in Mexico, lived in NY, moved to FL and didn't have her license. She had to call Mexico to get a copy of it. She hasn't reached them yet.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Yeah. Especially because you're not changing your name.

Some employers and/or insurance companies would require a copy of it to get him or you added to a policy.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Are you planning on moving anywhere? If you move out of state to a different state you will need it to get a new license. A coworker learned that the hard way. She was married in Mexico, lived in NY, moved to FL and didn't have her license. She had to call Mexico to get a copy of it. She hasn't reached them yet.
    Why would you need a marriage license to get a driver's license? That doesn't make sense.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    i needed one when i got a new job and had to fill out my insurance information. i guess it was a measure to guard against fraud, or something.
  • coliema
    Why would you need a marriage license to get a driver's license? That doesn't make sense.
    Don't ask me, I'm still in NY, I didn't go to the DMV with her. I would have to ask her and get back to you, but that was an issue she was going through this week. She had to switch her license, her registration on her bikes/cars, I'm not sure why, but she had to get a copy of her marraige license.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Don't ask me, I'm still in NY, I didn't go to the DMV with her. I would have to ask her and get back to you, but that was an issue she was going through this week. She had to switch her license, her registration on her bikes/cars, I'm not sure why, but she had to get a copy of her marraige license.
    Are you sure it wasn't something to do with her changing her name? I mean you don't have to be married to have a driver's license.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    I have needed my marriage certificate quite a few times. Just get it, it's a one time expense.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    If you want added to any insurance, bank accounts, mortgage etc you will need proof you are in fact married. I think every state has a fee for it, ours was $5.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member

It's to prove your name change. It's the only document you have that proves your name was changed... I had to show my divorce decree to everyone for them to change my name BACK to my real name.
  • coliema
    Are you sure it wasn't something to do with her changing her name? I mean you don't have to be married to have a driver's license.

I'm positive, I've known her for a while and she hasn't changed her name since she got married about 20 years ago. I know you don't have to be married to have a driver's license, I'm not sure why she had to get it, but she did. I'll ask her tonight and report back for you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Yeah I really don't need to know that badly.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Thanks, everyone!! :heart:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    If you want a passport, yes.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Some employers and/or insurance companies would require a copy of it to get him or you added to a policy.

This. Mine did.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    I had to get one for my minor child to get her passport.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Why? If you weren't married would your child be unable to get a passport?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Why? If you weren't married would your child be unable to get a passport?

Totally curious...

And, in Wisconsin, I didn't need it for anything...
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Insurance, if you go on his /her plan?
    Life insurance claims?
    If you have children together and you don't have his name... May be an issue in the future.
    I say get the paper now, put it in a safe, you may or may not need it. But it will be more aggravation if you need it in the future.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    You might also need one if you ever end up moving around the world, for visa issues etc...