Insanity workouts

Options
Hey guys,

I just finished day 3 of the Insanity workout program and I'm loving it. How do you guys log the workouts on MFP? I'm doing all the reps, as close to good form as I can possibly muster, and pausing/resuming when I need a break. How do you log these workouts on this site? For the first 4 weeks, do you think the workouts are over/under 500 cal?

Also, I'm starting to be sore... I don't feel it while I work out -- just after, when I walk. Is that a sign that I need to slow down, or is that normal?

Replies

• crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Your body is plenty warm and flexible during the workouts (never did 10 minutes of "warm up" before stretching then the "real" workout before), but as your body cools, you'll feel the soreness... as long as that's all it is... any sharp or sustaining pains, you may want to back down a bit...

As far as logging it in... best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor... that'll give you the most consistent cal burn calculation... you may also find (as I did), you won't get the exact same result every time... One week I might get 700-800 cal burn, then the next week have if float between 500-600... or lower.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Your body is plenty warm and flexible during the workouts (never did 10 minutes of "warm up" before stretching then the "real" workout before), but as your body cools, you'll feel the soreness... as long as that's all it is... any sharp or sustaining pains, you may want to back down a bit...

It's definitely not a sharp or consistent pain. I feel it when I start to walk or do some movements, for the 24 hours after the workout (but not during it).
    As far as logging it in... best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor... that'll give you the most consistent cal burn calculation... you may also find (as I did), you won't get the exact same result every time... One week I might get 700-800 cal burn, then the next week have if float between 500-600... or lower.

I guess that besides the workout itself, it depends on your fitness level and the amount of effort you put in. I'll log the workouts at 550 cals each for now and get a HRM. Thanks for your help!

PS: how long do the batteries on the chest band last?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain = good

Joint pain = bad
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For Heart Rate Monitors, I recommend the Polar FT4. It's cheap, simple, and relatively accurate. I'm on day 5 btw. :)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I ended out getting the Polar FT4 so I can log it accurately.

I seem to end in the mid 500 range on calories burnt. Pure cardio and cardio abs on the same day will burn more.

Cardio recovery I get about 250-300.

Definitely grab the FT4. Like $70 and simple to use. I was going to skip that and just log it as 300 cals burnt on each exercise and glad I didn't!

Have fun getting Insane. Month two coming up quick for me!
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a P90X/Insantiy Hybrid program. I just finished week-2. When I do the Insanity workouts, my HRM says 540-570 calories burned.
  • kutastha
    kutastha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    These are numbers I pretty consistently get with the FT4. I'm 39, 5'10" 175#.

First month:
    Pure Cardio: 550
    Plyo Cardio: 650
    Cardio Power & Resistance: 520
    Cardio Abs: 200 (when done after another routine)

Core Cardio and Balance: 400

Second month:
    Max Cardio: 650
    Max Interval Plyo: 750
    Max Interval Circuit: 700

Extras:
    Sports Interval: 750
    Upper Body: 700