Lower Back Injury and Exercise

Options
After a lower back injury (muscular) how long did it take you to get back to your normal exercise routine? It has been exactly one week since I threw out my back and it is now just sore (as opposed to painful) since getting meds from the doctor. I am dying to get back to exercising (currently just doing slow walking), but I am afraid I might pull the muscle again if I start too soon.

what have been your experiences with coming back from this type of injury?

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I really feel for you. This is quite common but most people are surprised by how long it takes to recover.
    I had this exact thing happen about two weeks ago. Aggravated one side of my lower back doing interval training on a rowing machine. It was frustrating to miss those workouts but at the end of the day, I was reminding myself that the goal of working out was to get healthy and reinjuring my back wasn't going to help achieve that goal.

After 10 days I was still sore (quite stiff after sitting at my desk for a period of time) but I concluded that this was a function of not stretching rather than a small muscle tear. I decided to play a round of golf (which can be very hard on an injured lower back) and to my amazement the golf helped loosen up my back to the point where it gave me the confidence to get back into the weight room. Two days later I set a new PR for back squats despite my lower back not being 100%. The lifting helped recovery but only after I took the 10 or 12 days off.

Hope this helps.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    3 months, but I kept reinjuring myself.
    Since getting smarter (and avoiding things that cause problems with the lower back) about 2 weeks ago, it's got a lot better.

Strengthening exercises helped a lot.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor....
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I got into a bad motorcycle accident about 5 years ago and injured my spine. So my lower back acts up every once in a while and it sucks.

If you have the money, go get a (good) deep tissue massage. Alternate between warm and cold compresses for a day. Then see how you feel.

For the long term, do pilates. It does amazing things for strengthening your lower back, and will likely prevent you from throwing out your back again.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor....

Ditto!

I was injured back in January and started seeing a physical therapist. To my dismay, she told me I wasn't going to be able to work out (or be too active) for a while. Just now I'm being allowed to do some functional activity. Always better safe than sorry!!!
  • Tiffy11011
    Tiffy11011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This led to my latest weight gain of nearly 30 pounds. I injuries my back very badly and had to be put on steroids for several weeks, which combined with no exercise caused me to gain the weight. I was more mentally scared of re-injuring myself than anything else so it took me nearly 4 months to start back up. I'm really sad that I let my fear keep me away from so long. I would wait a couple weeks and then start back slowly if I had it to do over again.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor....

Ditto!

I have seen a doctor, who gave me medicine and told me that it will take a few weeks to get back to normal activity. She suggested I gauge how I feel and get back into exercising slowly. With this thread though, I was just looking for other people's experiences with this type of injury. Thanks.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have issues with the joint between my tailbone and hip, so I'm always in a bit of pain and fearful of exercise. I would see a physical therapist because not only can they help you not re-injur it, they can give you ideas for how to strengthen all the surrounding muscles that will help support it in the future. I always feel better after I do targeting core exercises, but I really think you should see a professional to make sure you know the right ones for you.
  • MariaLivingFit
    Options
    I have issues with the joint between my tailbone and hip, so I'm always in a bit of pain and fearful of exercise. I would see a physical therapist because not only can they help you not re-injur it, they can give you ideas for how to strengthen all the surrounding muscles that will help support it in the future. I always feel better after I do targeting core exercises, but I really think you should see a professional to make sure you know the right ones for you.

thanks - I know my core muscles are not what they should be, since I usually focus on arms, legs, and general cardio ;-) maybe that should be my next focus.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident two years ago, and occasionally my lower back still spasms, which usually puts me out of commission for a week or more.

My trainer got me through my last back spasm most effectively. She let me do light cardio, gentle strength training, and a yoga based TRX program for flexibility, but NO core work until my back calmed down. The light cardio helped keep me moving, the gentle stregth training kept my muscles responsive, and the flexibility stuff eventually helped stopped the spasm and prevented the fall out that usually happens after- stiffness in my back, hips out of alignment, etc.

The point? Keep moving; otherwise you'll hurt worse. Be very careful though, and if something hurts, a good rule of thumb is to STOP right away and not repeat that particular exercise until your back feels completely better again.

Best of luck! Back injuries are a pain (literally)!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    You're right. You need to build up your core muscles. I went to physical therapy for lower back pain and it really helped. I had a great PT and she educated me on how to be good to your back. Now, if I start to feel twinges, I do the exercises she taught me and focus on back-relief yoga practices and so far so good. If you don't feel better soon, ask your doctor to give you a script for physical therapy.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    Ask a doctor....

Ditto!

I have seen a doctor, who gave me medicine and told me that it will take a few weeks to get back to normal activity. She suggested I gauge how I feel and get back into exercising slowly. With this thread though, I was just looking for other people's experiences with this type of injury. Thanks.

I was in a car accident at the end of April and have started off very slowly back into my exercise routine. I have been seeing a chiropractor since a week after my accident and they also do massage therapy. Initially it hurt like the ****ens but icing the area that hurt (lower back) off and on throughout the day and getting adjustments/massage therapy has helped tremendously. I am down to twice a week visits and when I am exercising I pay close attention to my body especially my back and ice after I finish to help with the inflammation. My advice is to see a good chiropractor.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm on week four, threw my back out picking up my little girl. Bloody child is getting big! Urgh! I'm feeling about at 90%, only pain I get now is when there is firm pressure applied e.g.; romping around in bed with the wifey. Anyhow on topic!

First week was painful as heck, but has gotten steadily better. I think week three was were I stop pillow stepping around. I also saw a chiropractor (first time ever), and I'm not sure if that helped, but man did it feel good through the tears of pain.

I was told, from not only my primary, but the chiropractor that what I had could simply be walked off, and they both told me to not sit, and to keep moving, not harsh movements, just simply walking around the block. Take it easy, and best of luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it sounds counterproductive. but despite the back issues I have, the back extension machine is my favorite strength machine!
    When I first started using it, I was having some major issues with my lower back and hips ( my hips are misaligned due to a fall 9 months ago) but wanted to to strength work...imagine my shock when my back felt better after I stretched it! When I first started, I could only do like 20 reps of 50#. Today I made some guy feel bad because I did 40 reps of 90# ( he did 12 of 120#) :)
  • bigdal77
    bigdal77 Posts: 69
    Options
    ive got back trouble so i just ride my bike it doesn't affect my back so much :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Exercises that don't stress the back (recumbent bike comes to mind, and a lot of gyms have that style exercise bike) might be a good temporary solution to getting some exercise in while this is healing.

Did you pull a muscle or did you aggravate / pinch a nerve? Pulled muscle will typically take a couple weeks to heal enough so a slow re-introduction to exercise will be fine. Jumping back in 100% on the first day back is a common way of re-injuring yourself. A pinched nerve is going to vary a lot depending on which nerve, where it's pinched and how badly. After the initial problems with the pinch are gone, you need to rehab to strengthen around the weak point to protect the nerve.

Either way, once you're healed strengthening your back is a good thing. Superman, back extension machine, dead lift....
  • MariaLivingFit
    Options
    Did you pull a muscle or did you aggravate / pinch a nerve? Pulled muscle will typically take a couple weeks to heal enough so a slow re-introduction to exercise will be fine. Jumping back in 100% on the first day back is a common way of re-injuring yourself. A pinched nerve is going to vary a lot depending on which nerve, where it's pinched and how badly. After the initial problems with the pinch are gone, you need to rehab to strengthen around the weak point to protect the nerve.

Either way, once you're healed strengthening your back is a good thing. Superman, back extension machine, dead lift....

Just pulled a muscle. Now I'm 2 weeks in, have meds from the doctor, and have been able to start back with light cardio. I'm hesitant to start any weights though - I might wait another week or two for that.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with my bulging disc in oct or nov after years of suffering with lower back pain and sciatica. I started using theelliptical and light weights, worked my way up to more weights and the arc trainer, then did a bootcamp for a month and now, a year after i went to the doctor because icouldnt walk from my sciatica, i am finishing my firstmonth of insanity! Ice packs and an occasional Aleive are my friends. I have learned from the chiropractor and neurologist how to keep it from getting out of control. I will always have this bulging disc so i have to be careful, but i wont let it stop me! Dont get discouraged. You can exercise. Just be careful, go slow, dont pushyourself too hard too fast, and understand there might be things you cant do bc of your back. Focus on what you can do!