How do YOU eat?

Options
Shayztar
Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
QUESTION: How much of an impact does counting micros have on a calorie reduced diet? Who subscribes to calories in/calories out only? Is one better than the other?

I've been letting myself eat some yummier food lately. Sucks how I have nearly 1000 calories left for my Friday night pizza dinner, but have only 8 grams of fat left. (I ate bacon today. First time in....6 months.)

Yeah, not bothering to search the forums for previous discussions. Sue me, ignore me, or answer my question. I'm pretty sure people are looking for something to occupy them for the last hour of work before the weekend anyways. lol

Replies

• Shayztar
    Options
    Heh. That's 3 questions.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You need to be paying attention to macros in regards to counting, not micros, but be sure to eat whole foods rich in micro nutrients to maintain all-over health. It is true that you can eat pizza and bacon and still lose weight if you are eating at a deficit, but it can and likely will affect performance and energy levels. Simple carbs are a quick burn energy so you'll eat that pizza and feel tired an hour later, and also hungry, whereas eating a high protein, moderate fat, high fiber meal would satiate for much longer and keep your energy levels up.

It's okay to have a day filled with pizza and bacon on occasion and is actually good to help maintain sanity, but get back to eating more nutritious foods the next day.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'd say the two are fairly linked, but I'm solely a calorie counter.

The thing is, I'm very relaxed about my weight loss. I'm probably the slowest person who's stuck at it every day since beginning and been fairly consistent.

The reason I'm slow is almost undoubtedly due to the fact that I'm not particularly strict. I do my best to be at my calorie goal each day, but on occasion I go over and on occasion I'm under. I eat a lot of food other people would consider to be 'junk', but I'm always conscious now and I always make an active decision rather than eating mindlessly. Rather than keeping track of the details, I just try to eat a better option than I would have before I started being healthy, though tonight I've had pizza and most days I'll have some form of sugary snack.

I say they're linked because, let's face it, I COULD eat pizza every day. I don't want to, because though I'm being more relaxed than most people I AM working on my overall health, but there's nothing technically stopping me. Still, to stick to my calorie goal I'd only be able to have in a whole day the pizza I used to eat as one meal. If I don't want to be hungry, I HAVE to make more sensible choices to be within my calorie limits. Everything else follows, to some extent.
  • Shayztar
    Options
    I'd say the two are fairly linked, but I'm solely a calorie counter.

The thing is, I'm very relaxed about my weight loss. I'm probably the slowest person who's stuck at it every day since beginning and been fairly consistent.

The reason I'm slow is almost undoubtedly due to the fact that I'm not particularly strict. I do my best to be at my calorie goal each day, but on occasion I go over and on occasion I'm under. I eat a lot of food other people would consider to be 'junk', but I'm always conscious now and I always make an active decision rather than eating mindlessly. Rather than keeping track of the details, I just try to eat a better option than I would have before I started being healthy, though tonight I've had pizza and most days I'll have some form of sugary snack.

I say they're linked because, let's face it, I COULD eat pizza every day. I don't want to, because though I'm being more relaxed than most people I AM working on my overall health, but there's nothing technically stopping me. Still, to stick to my calorie goal I'd only be able to have in a whole day the pizza I used to eat as one meal. If I don't want to be hungry, I HAVE to make more sensible choices to be within my calorie limits. Everything else follows, to some extent.

I always thought the two were linked as well. High fat low calorie options? LOL But I see I'm often over on fat, even when I'm eating well. Like, two eggs with breakfast. Bam, 10 grams of fat. Serious? Not gonna switch to egg white, because all of the nutrients are in the yolk. So is the fat. That's what's getting me confused.

But like you, I eat healthier versions of what I used to eat. Chicken spinach pizza from the oven instead of meat lovers from Pizza Hut. I also don't want to deny myself. The skinny me should be able to enjoy pizza twice a month too. hehe
  • Shayztar
    Options
    And then a friend suggested that MFP ratios were set low. Changed them and BAM. I'm not over on fat. I guess MFP is pretty conservative.

40%
    30%
    30%

So now days that are lazier show above fat, and days that are cleaner show lower fat.

I love the support on MFP. You all rock.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have a day filled with pizza and bacon on occasion and is actually good to help maintain sanity, but get back to eating more nutritious foods the next day.

And for whatever crazy reason that I'm sure others can back up, seems like when I have a day or two of the crappiest food ever, I lose a pound or two the next day or within 2-3 days. Go figure.
  • Shayztar
    Options

And for whatever crazy reason that I'm sure others can back up, seems like when I have a day or two of the crappiest food ever, I lose a pound or two the next day or within 2-3 days. Go figure.

One can only wish! LOL