Salad Dressing

Options
Was looking for a salad dressing last night at the grocery. Normally I get Ranch, but decided to go for something with less calories. I chose Italian.
However, in looking at the ingredients, I wasn't very happy with some of what I saw.
So, what do you use for salad dressing? I've thought about just making my own, but not sure what kind.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own. Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and some italian seasoning.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is about 2 parts chipotle salsa to 1 part FF greek yogurt. :love:
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Will be watching this too. I would like a dressing with low sodium.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I skip the oil and just use a good balsamic.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I usually just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
  • eyeforinfo
    Options
    Check out Gina's salad dressing recipes at skinnytaste.com and make your own. Sooo good!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything by Organicville or Annie's is good.
  • babykell19
    babykell19 Posts: 72
    Options
    best dressing ever is kraft light toasted asian sesame. it is sooo delish and low cal/low fat etc.. and you can use it to cook with as well. i used it to make lettuce wraps. sautee some lean ground turkey with veggies, add a splash of the dressing, wrap in lettuce and voila! i would highly recommend it!
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been using Ken's Steakhouse lite balsamic vinaigrette. It is really good and only 60 cal for 2 Tbsp.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I eat ranch:)

Walmart sells individual packs of low fat ranch dressing which is like 90 calories...yummy:)
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Vinaigrette Fat Free Dressing. No fat, 30 calories per 2 tbsp serving. I am not sure what you didnt like about the Italian Dressing ingredients so they may be close to the same, but I love this stuff.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    White corn and black bean salsa from walmart is a a good change for salad dressing and its awesome on a baked potato.
  • EliseVanca
    EliseVanca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A zero calorie dressing i make is vinegar with lemon juice. Nice and tangy with 0 calories, 0 sodium, 0 fat!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I usually do balsamic and olive oil or sometimes just balsamic. Another good one: olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, and dried mustard (optional).

I also like getting herb salads (the packaged kind from Trader Joes or Fresh & Easy) and/or greens like arugula because they have soooo much flavor (compared to plain lettuce or even spinach, though I like spinach too) that you only need a very small amount of dressing.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

I have wondered about this, but wasn't sure. I have never tasted it!! Do you mix them together? And how much?
  • rosiecotton24
    Options
    Raspberry Vinaigrette Fat Free Dressing. No fat, 30 calories per 2 tbsp serving. I am not sure what you didnt like about the Italian Dressing ingredients so they may be close to the same, but I love this stuff.

The Italian that I bought wasn't too bad. I can't remember what the others had in them- maybe corn syrup?
  • rosiecotton24
    Options
    I eat ranch:)

Walmart sells individual packs of low fat ranch dressing which is like 90 calories...yummy:)

I LOVE ranch! I was trying to find a lower calorie dressing. I haven't cared too much for the low fat ranch dressings, but I may have to get some if I want to continue eating it. :smile:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Paul Newman's 'Lite' dressings. They can be high in sodium, though.
  • rosiecotton24
    Options
    I usually do balsamic and olive oil or sometimes just balsamic. Another good one: olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, and dried mustard (optional).

I also like getting herb salads (the packaged kind from Trader Joes or Fresh & Easy) and/or greens like arugula because they have soooo much flavor (compared to plain lettuce or even spinach, though I like spinach too) that you only need a very small amount of dressing.

The olive oil, lemon juice and garlic sound good! Do you mix a certain amount of each , or just taste it as you make it?
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use kraft fat free italian dressing. Only 15 cals per 2 tablespoons. Olive oil is extremely high in cals. 200 per 2 tablespoons I think. Everything I use is fat free. Great value Walmart sour cream only 15 cals per 2 tablespoons, fresh salsa sauce, only 5 cals per 2 tablespoons, egg beaters 35 cals per egg, um fat free mayo only 10 cals per tablespoon. Lost 41 pounds, been on here since the end of March. Canola oil spray I use is 0 cals and so is olivio spray.