• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    My symptoms are"
    Depression
    anxiety
    frustration
    sleep disorders
    fatigue, I wake up so tired I cry because I had to go to work, I am tired at work all day, and I go to bed tired but can't sleep.
    weight gain even though I was watching what I ate, and exercising daily
    headaches
    joint pain
    mental confusion
    trouble concentrating or focusing on anything
    I felt like I couldnt find words or would just feel like I was BLANK
    stuttering was a new thing too.
    crazy symptoms huh?

Your symtoms sound like mine. I am hypothyroid PLUS was starting menopause! Things are getting a little better now! I wish you better health!!!
  • jseward
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, when my blood was tested for hypothyroidism, they also found I have a vitamin d deficiency. And....I also have eustachian tube dysfunction. Between the three of these I am just hating life right now. I have learned alot from these discussions though. I went back to see what my numbers were, and mine is 11.7, and my doctor said normal is between a 4 and a 5. A website I looked at said that any number ten and above must be treated by meds.
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, when my blood was tested for hypothyroidism, they also found I have a vitamin d deficiency. And....I also have eustachian tube dysfunction. Between the three of these I am just hating life right now. I have learned alot from these discussions though. I went back to see what my numbers were, and mine is 11.7, and my doctor said normal is between a 4 and a 5. A website I looked at said that any number ten and above must be treated by meds.

Holy cow! :noway: Your TSH=11.7! :noway: No wonder your symptoms are Crazy. :explode: My doc wants mine to be a 1 (I'm at a 2.0 now and feel great). New advice from Natl Assoc Endocrinologists say .3 - 3.0 as of 2003. Doc figures 1.5 is what normal people are. We hypos should be a little lower. Get those meds going, girl! IMHO, a goal of 4-5 is still way too high. If doc doesn't agree, find another one.
  • jseward
    Options

Holy cow! :noway: Your TSH=11.7! :noway: No wonder your symptoms are Crazy. :explode: My doc wants mine to be a 1 (I'm at a 2.0 now and feel great). New advice from Natl Assoc Endocrinologists say .3 - 3.0 as of 2003. Doc figures 1.5 is what normal people are. We hypos should be a little lower. Get those meds going, girl! IMHO, a goal of 4-5 is still way too high. If doc doesn't agree, find another one.

thanks for that info, I am so unhappy right now and hearing support helps me cope. I am so afraid that things won't change and I won't feel like me again. I have been taking 50mcg of thyroxine for nine days now. I keep waiting to feel a difference but none yet.
  • jseward
    Options
    can anyone tell me if massive nonstop headaches and pressue in the head is a symptom of hypothyroidism?
  • slightingscale
    Options
    I started at 25 mcg of levoxythrine (sp?) because my old doctor :grumble: was afraid to treat my TSH of 5.05 (a measly number compared to yours :smile: ). After 7 months, I'm now up to 150 mcg (with my new doc) plus 30 mcg time-released T3, which has helped immensely. :happy: I see the caution in not increasing your dosage too fast (heart palpitations and anxiousness), but I'd bet you have some big increases in your future. I'm not surprised that you're not feeling 50 mcgs - but give it at least 3 weeks. T4 is like a marathon, T3 is like a sprint. Will he retest again at 6 or 8 weeks?

Not sure about hypo and headaches.

You're not alone. You will feel better.:flowerforyou:
  • danielley08
    Options

My TSH levels are around 2.85 and my doc is still treating with meds. I developed post-partum thyroiditis in 2004 and it in turn became hypothyroidism. My doc told me that my levels were considered normal (0.3 - 5) but that if I truly wanted to see a difference in my weight loss we would need to get it between a 1 - 2. I'm currently on 75mcg of Synthroid and am awaiting the latest TSH/T4 results to find out if we need to adjust my meds.

Hopefully your doc can get your levels under control and soon all your hard work will pay off!!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

I was diagnosed at 16, I was having 2-3 periods every month, losing hair, sleeping CONSTANTLY (both in school and at home!) and was depressed. I didnt think anything of the sleeping & depression, I went the the docs to get on birth control to stop the 2-3 periods a month and he took blood to check for anemia from the blood loss and found that my TSH levels were at 12.3!!!!!!!!!! He started me on 50 mcg of synthroid and within a month my energy was back, the periods went back to normal and the depression was alleviated considerably. oh and my hair stopped falling out! last time I was checked I was at 2.8. I'm really glad I read blackiris's calorie calculation, I never knew that!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Back from the doctor's... my THS or TSH (I forget exactly what it's called) was 3.8. He said he was prepared to start the medication today if I told him I've been feeling lousy, but I had told him I felt amazing since I switched to a gluten free diet in the last week or so since the doctor and I both think I have Celiac's. They did the bloodwork today to see if my antibodies indicate that I do or not. So, he said that I certainly need medication for the thyroid but it's just a matter of time. I feel better that I at least got to ask questions and better understand everything now.
  • slightingscale
    Options
    Back from the doctor's... my THS or TSH (I forget exactly what it's called) was 3.8. He said he was prepared to start the medication today if I told him I've been feeling lousy, but I had told him I felt amazing since I switched to a gluten free diet in the last week or so since the doctor and I both think I have Celiac's. They did the bloodwork today to see if my antibodies indicate that I do or not. So, he said that I certainly need medication for the thyroid but it's just a matter of time. I feel better that I at least got to ask questions and better understand everything now.
    Sounds like you have a great doctor, since he's willing to treat a 3.8 (if you chose to be treated). Again, I'm glad you found this information out in your twenties, now you can keep an eye on your symptoms (check the web for the full list of possible symptoms), and get treatment when things worsen. Best of luck to you.:flowerforyou:
    Susan
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm actually scared to look up the symptoms because I think it's one of those things where if someone tells you "you might get a headache" then suddenly you're so worried about detecting a headache that you start to actually feel one coming on.

The only things I would say that I notice about myself are that I'm craving (almost uncontrollably at times) anything sweet- and once I have 1 piece of candy, it's all over- I eat and eat and eat. I have never really liked sweets or had this problem. I mentioned it to him and he said it could certainly be the thyroid causing that. He said I had "quite an impressive level of antibodies" in my thyroid :laugh:

I'm really tired a lot, but I think I've always been that way. It doesn't usually interfere with my ability to get things done around the house, focus at work, etc. but boy do I hit the pillow and pass out instantly- same thing on the couch and I have never been one to fall asleep in front of the TV in my life.

Other than that, I think that's about it. Of course I worry that I've had symptoms for so long that I don't even know they're there because they're just "who I am". Oh well, for now I'm not really thinking about it. At some point, whether it's a month from now, or a year from now, I'll need medication. Until then, I'm focusing on the Celiac's and the major adjustment that it takes.

Thanks for your input/help! :flowerforyou:
  • jseward
    Options
    I started at 25 mcg of levoxythrine (sp?) because my old doctor :grumble: was afraid to treat my TSH of 5.05 (a measly number compared to yours :smile: ). After 7 months, I'm now up to 150 mcg (with my new doc) plus 30 mcg time-released T3, which has helped immensely. :happy: I see the caution in not increasing your dosage too fast (heart palpitations and anxiousness), but I'd bet you have some big increases in your future. I'm not surprised that you're not feeling 50 mcgs - but give it at least 3 weeks. T4 is like a marathon, T3 is like a sprint. Will he retest again at 6 or 8 weeks?

YEah, I have to retest in six weeks
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me if massive nonstop headaches and pressue in the head is a symptom of hypothyroidism?

As I said before, it was thought at first that I had post partum depression. The day that I really knew something was off was when I had a headache all day. I also felt as thought my top was strangling me, and then noticed that my neck was swollen at the front (goiter). This just happened over the course of a day.

Just remembered- If you are thinking about getting pregnant and you are hypo, you should be monitered by your doc/end as well as anti natal. an under treated hypo can lead to misscarriage in the first 4 months of pregnancy. A history of misscariage can sometimes lead on to the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.
  • Nikiki
    Options

I think its nutty how different people need such different amounts, my levels were so high and I only need 50 mcg, thats the first level we tried and my levels are perfect from it, you weren't that high but you need such a high dose!
  • slightingscale
    Options

I think its nutty how different people need such different amounts, my levels were so high and I only need 50 mcg, thats the first level we tried and my levels are perfect from it, you weren't that high but you need such a high dose!
    So true! Everyone's needs are so different. My TSH wasn't that high, but my thyroid must be pretty stubborn. Feeling great now, though.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    you've received some pretty good answers :)

I've had secondary hypothyroidism and hypocalcemia due to thyroid cancer for 4 years. It took three different endocrinologist's four years to get my level's..well...level. I've heard from hypo friends, who still have their thyroids, that it didn't take them as long to get their levels evened out, but I would expect at least a year or two. Also, remember to wait two weeks after a dose change to notice any differences. I am currently on 200 mg of Synthroid , .5 mcg Calcitriol and take 600 mg of Calcium with Vitamin D a day (some times more, depending on how I feel. usually if I've had soda to drink.). Good luck!

Symptoms that I still experience:

puffiness in the face
    fatigue-i get worn out easily and have days where I feel like a sloth
    insomnia
    migraines
    achiness in joints
    zero tolerance for cold
    tingling in hands and feet
    circulation issues in my hands and feet
  • Nikiki
    Options

zero tolerance for cold
    tingling in hands and feet
    circulation issues in my hands and feet

I didnt realize those were symptoms of hypothyroidism, I thought those were syptoms of me being out of shape! thats both good & bad to know, good because now I understand where its coming from, bad because once I get in shape I'll still have hypothyroidism so it wont go away... bummer...
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed at 21 years old (24 y.o. now). My symptoms were hemorrhaging (sp?) at menstruation, extreme fatigue, intolerance to heat/cold, mood swings, tingling hands/feet.
    My TSH was at 16. (yipes I know)
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (aka my immune system doesn't recognize my thyroid as a natural part of my body so it's trying to constantly destroy it).
    I'm on 88mcg Synthroid and my TSH is down to .5-1. It may be a little low, but when I was on 75mcg of SYnthroid I was still getting a lot of symptoms so we upped it. I feel better and that's what matters.
    I have a horrible time losing weight. I gained about 30 pounds over 3 years after the onset of Hashimoto's. My water weight varies between 3 and 5 pounds/day, so I can think I'm losing weight and have it back the very next day. I also gain muscle at an alarming rate, so when I work out a lot I actually gain 5-10 pounds before losing anything. It can be so frustrating!
    I am right there with all of you. With some perseverence we can do it!
    I think I'm definitely eating about 300 calories shy of what I should be each day, so I'm going to start upping that (good calories). Also I crave dairy constantly which doesn't help. Cheese, milk, etc. Apparently it comes with the territory of a thyroid disease.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    Nikki: those are also symptoms of hypocalcemia (calcium deficiency). My parathyroids were damaged during surgery, so my body doesn't make any calcium. I have to take supplements to get my calcium. After my total thyroidectomy, there were times when I would be standing up and the entire bottom half of my legs, and feet, would fall asleep and I'd have to sit before I fell over.

eta: someone mentioned hemorrhaging during menstrual periods. I started having that problem a year after I had my son (I bled for five weeks). I'm convinced that my thyroid nodule began growing shortly after I had my son. I was pregnant with my youngest a year and a half later when my nodule was found at .5cm. It then grew to 4cm in 10 months. I still have the heavy periods (I have to wear overnight maxi pads during the day because even the Ultra Tampax aren't enough), but at least they're regular again and only last five to seven days.