Thicker Protein Shakes

Options
I drink a protein shake every day. I prefer them thicker than chocolate milk, which is all that my new protein is. I have tried using milk to mix it with instead of water, but that doesn't do much. Any suggestions to thicken up a protein shake without adding a huge amount of calories? I should mention, I use a good cup or so of ice too.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I tend to add 0% Greek Yogurt. Extra protein and really does thicken it up quite a lot.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! The key to a thicker protein shake is to mix it with Guava Gum, which you can get at most health food stores. One teaspoon per 8 ounces (I mix my protein shake with water), thickens them right up and only adds about 10 calories to the serving.

One of the best kept secrets to a thicker shake minus the calories!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree thick is better!!! I use xantham gum.....expensive but worth it and it last a long time! Best of luck!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    use less water
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I tend to add 0% Greek Yogurt. Extra protein and really does thicken it up quite a lot.

Yup, I like the greek yogurt plan. You get a thicker shake and I think it makes it taste better too!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt.... fruit...
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix protien shakes.
    All I add is water and ice (the odd time some fruit). I found the secret to a thick shake is to blend it well in the blender. Mine gets so thick and creamy, I eat it with a spoon.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Banana, does the trick for me!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    blend with frozen fruit and ice - almond milk creates a thicker base than water or regular milk.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    lots of ice, egg whites, psyllium husk powder (fiber that absorbs water to make a gel), soaked oats, etc.

My absolute faves are chopping up a banana or avocado in teeny bits and freezing them, then adding a little piece each day to your protein shake for a heavenly creaminess/thickness.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I agree thick is better!!! I use xantham gum.....expensive but worth it and it last a long time! Best of luck!
    This! Xanthan gum can literally turn water into gravy. Guar gum is a cheaper option...I have a bag laying around, never used it so far because my xanthan gum simply works and has lasted really long so far

A banana can provide some thickening starch as well
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Daniella_89
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!!! Ive always used greek yogurt but i definitely want to try the Xanthan gum
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like making ice cubes out of greens like parsley, chopped spinach, fresh mint leaves, cilantro ect. I bought chopped spinach the other day for a stuffed pasta shells I was making and there was frozen chopped spinach in cubes in the freezer section.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you have the time to soak the chia seeds (good source of fiber and of Omega 3s) in the milk for an hour, the Chia seeds will make gel out of the milk.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. Surprisingly makes it thicker than normal milk/water. OR blend with a frozen banana ;)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every day. I prefer them thicker than chocolate milk, which is all that my new protein is. I have tried using milk to mix it with instead of water, but that doesn't do much. Any suggestions to thicken up a protein shake without adding a huge amount of calories? I should mention, I use a good cup or so of ice too.

I use Greek Yogurt plus always frozen fruit will thicken it up. I am low carbing so do not do bananas but others have said a frozen banana or 1/2 banana thickens up the shake. One more secret is instant pudding like banana cream or coconut cream of course its sugar free.
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have oats with all my protein shakes. Blended will thicken because of the starch. Tapioca?