Anybody training for a race?

Options
Hi, I'm 18 years old (19 next week) and I'm running my first half marathon, the Great North Run, this September. 13 miles is a bit daunting to me so I was wondering if there is anyone here also training for an event so knows the boat I'm in.

Feel free to add me. I could do with the support. I've recently put on a bit of weight quite quickly so not feeling the best at the moment!

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I did my very first HM last year and training for #2 in September! You will do fine... I got quite a few years on you so if I can do it, you can too! I started running seriously beginning of last year and have completed several 5Ks, a 10K and 1 HM.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not on the same level. I've not yet done a race, but I plan to do a few each year. I only started running in February.

I'm doing the Newcastle Big Fun Run (5k) in October, and the Great Manchester Run (10k) next May. Both are distances I've already achieved just running around my neighbourhood (the 10k was achieved last week), but I signed up to both long before I could do the distance and I'm just taking things slowly. Not so much training for them as planning for them, and running as much as I can each time I go out.

However, I don't intend to ever run more than an approximate 10k. Bigger races aren't for me, so I'm already capable of the longest distance I ever plan to do.

Best of luck with the GNR!
  • cherrydrop_amy
    Options
    Thank you. I can run 10k quite easily but it's still quite a jump to a half marathon!!

I hope to one day be able to say I ran a marathon (but a very long way in the future if at all!)

Thanks for the kind words guys :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I remember the feeling of training for my first half marathon... every time I had to increase my distance by another mile or so, I would be the pre-run jitters. But in the end, I did fine -- and so will you! If you've ran a 10K, then you are well on your way to completing a half marathon. (My first one, due to an injury during training, I never got past an 8 mile run but I was still able to finish a half marathon)

But watch out -- those half marathons can become addicting! I'm now training for my 7th half marathon. :laugh:

You can do it, just have faith in yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • cherrydrop_amy
    Options
    Aw thank you. This is very encouraging :) and that;s an addiction I wouldn't mind having ;)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Joy I have just run my first half marathon and currently training for a marathon in october. I am 41 years old and live in Doncaster feel free to add me if you want. I log everyday and exercise most days. I think i am addicted to running i am really miserable and grumpy if i cant run. My mum sends me out running if i phone her in a bad mood. I am a much nicer mum/wife after a run.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Glenn, 50, from New Zealand. I did 4 marathons and an Ultramarathon last year, training to do Ironman NZ in March. I am the 2hour pace-runner for a local half marathon each year, so have some experience with doing "halfs'. Happy to be added as a friend :-)
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon as well. My race is in August.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I just ran my second one last Sunday. I've got two more I'm signed up for and a 10k tomorrow morning. Enjoy training for it. Enjoy the race. Like someone said "It's addicting". :smile: