25 year old mom. Want to lose 20. Where do I start!!

Options
I am married and have a four year old. I just keep gaining weight it seems as the years go by. I was 120-130 when I got married. Help me before it gets out of hand! Where do I start losing weight? I am looking for healthy things to eat that are not WEIRD since I have a husband and son at home! I love fruits and veggies and want to incorporate other healthy foods into my diet. I am looking for a way to start working out. I just am clueless as to how to lose weight. I could use support (friends on here) from people who know what they are doing and are willing to encourage this momma who wants to lose weight and ditch the low self-esteem.

Replies

• Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I would start with goal setting and write it down. Write where you want to be next week, next month, 3 months from now and then make a plan to get there.
  • wifeandmom2009
    Options
    I don't know what is realistic. Like 1 lb per week? Does anyone else's weight fluctuate quite a bit?
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would aim for 0.5 - 1 lbs a week. You may lose more at first.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Im 26, mom of 3. Im trying to lose about 35 more pounds. Ive started walking or running everyday. Cut out soda and other junk food. Eating more fruits and veggies and better portion control. Ive lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    Hey you can add me as a friend. I have a open diary as well! I am 24 married and have two little ones a 3 y/o girl and 1 y/o son with about 35 ish pounds to lose. I would shoot for about 1-2 pounds a week but like someone said you may lose more than that a week at first. Agee a lot with Deedsie, you need to set up monthy, weekly or however mini goals it could anything from drinking more water to taking more steps each day. Also take your measurments they help out a lot when the scale isn't moving.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    im 26, mom of 2 (6) and almost (2).....my best advice obviously uve already took a step in the right direction watching your calories and such...other than that if your looking for weightloss, cardio cardio cardio....i lost 20lbs in 2 months on heavy cardio and being responsible about my food. Feel free to add me if your looking for fellow mama friends ;)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I sent you a FR- I am in MI too. Not far from you
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm a mom of 2 and have lost weight through clean eating (no crazy diets) and consistent exercise . My food log is public and really easy to follow.
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    Hey! I am a 28 year old mom of two (1.5 and 3) I have about 20 pounds to lose too! I have started doing the 30 DS when the kids go down, swimming, and running. I am also planning on getting a bike with a trailer! It's hard to fit it in but i'm trying! I going to friend request you!
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As your son is still young it would be good if you take on your weight loss with a more wholistic approach to food, eating and exercise in general as part of a lifetime plan so that he develops well, without risk to weight and health problems due to his home environment at least. This will involve educating yourself a bit more about nutrition and the importance of various food, vitamins and minerals on our metabolism, hormones, mood, vital organs (brain, liver, heart, digestive track, reproduction and sexual responses). This kind of deeper knowledge enamours you with consciousness that will stop you from slipping into bad habits or mindless behaviour you may have once held. Remember it is what you do every day that has a far greater impact than what you do occasionally. Also it takes a psychological shift in you and your household to keep the weight off and avoid yo-yo dieting which has you putting on weight over time.

I would begin by clearing my pantry and fridge of all foods that have cane sugar or artificial sweeteners and preservatives. Adopt the attitude of back to basics, fresh and remove temptation. Learn to prepare things simply and from scratch and generally involving little cooking as heat destroys much vitality from food. Learn to make a great and yummy variety of salads and salad dressings including green, Greek, Waldorf, beetroot, bean, seafood, Thai, fruit etc and have a salad at every meal either as an accompaniment or as The meal. Begin all meals by eating the salad first as raw food has enzymes that aid the digestion of food reducing bloating and increasing nutrient absorption in your gut. Reduce portion sizes/use smaller plates. Reduce salt from food. Drink more water. Eat more protein food other than what is derived from animals ie soy, tofu, beans, chia seed, nuts etc. Eat good fats ie nuts, extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil/seeds. Incorporate only 'whole' foods such as wholemeal pastas, whole grain/brown rice, whole fruits (not just the juice) etc. for they directly impact on your energy levels, and ultimately how much you eat overall, not to mention the added nutrition that only benefits your body. Learn more about the medicinal power of herbs, spices and teas - eat more curry, use more garlic and ginger, drink green tea to begin with.

Finally, incorporate more movement, walking or cycling into your life. Be more green and save on fuel. Park the car two blocks away from your final destination rather than as close as possible and take a route where it is more scenic or interesting so that you get added mental benefit and enjoyment. Perhaps you walk while your son rides his tricycle along side and chain the tricycle to the cycle rack or pole at the destination. Turn errand chores into outings, talk to shopkeepers etc. Carrying groceries helps keep you toned and strong. Clean and air the house with vigor and regularly. Sweep the pavement, rake the leaves, have your son help and make it a game or have him play closeby. Don't complain about it, housekeeping can be very cathartic in both mind and spirit. Take up an activity both you and your husband enjoy - dancing, tennis, golf, basketball etc. preferably do it together or create real interest and support so that you may continue to see each other as healthy and vital. Team sports are great as you need to maintain yourself for the benefit of all, and no copping out!

All this will take thought and planning as you set about your daily and lifetime goals. However if you do the everyday outlooks above weight loss dieting should be a thing of the past.
    Sorry about the essay!
  • BrendaSSteele
    Options
    Hello! My name is Brenda and I have a similar story but am older than you. I began the Herbalife Diet this week. It was one that my Dr. advised me to do as she does it also. I am very excited about it because I don't feel I am short changing myself on nutrition yet have an appropriate plan to lose wisely. I have lost 2 lbs this week and I have 2 more days before I go in for them to weigh me. I like having the accountability and goals to reach. It helps me push through when I think I am starving! ha... You might check it out. My goal is to lose 25 lbs.

Good Luck...Stay Healthy...
  • wifeandmom2009
    Options
    Thank you to all of you! I friend requested some of you. I appreciate all the notes (and the essay lol)
  • wifeandmom2009
    Options
    bump