Substitute for celery?

Options
I've always been a big fan of chips and dip, and my wife and I have found some excellent low-calorie dips to substitute for our old fattening ones and most sites recommend eating them with raw celery or carrots instead of chips. Problem is, I absolutely hate both raw celery and raw carrots. Any suggestions for alternatives that will stand up to a nice thick dip, give a satisfying snap/crunch and not add a ton of calories to my snack?

Replies

• bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jicama
  • enmaku
    enmaku Posts: 24
    Options
    jicama

I've never had it, what is the flavor like and do I just chop it up raw or is there any preparation necessary?
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    radish?
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Green/red/yellow pepper?
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It might sound awful but thin sliced turnips are also good.
  • enmaku
    enmaku Posts: 24
    Options
    Cucumber slices? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Green/red/yellow pepper?

Decent. Decent. Terrible. NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THIS.

Bell pepper is absolutely perfect. Thanks!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It might sound awful but thin sliced turnips are also good.

That actually sounds good. I wonder if there's a recipe for oven-baked turnip fries?

Edit: Yep
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-turnip-fries/
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    also, sliced beets that are baked... your own chips. kale chips are too soft for dip. Jicama is eated raw, and just peel and eat. not a ton of flavor to it, and watery, but that makes it perfect for dip :) Depending on the type of dip, savory vs. sweet.... apple slices too. Allrecipies.com has a ton of recipes... and Pintrest usually has great recipes if you look under healthy foods. Just thought of another one.... edamame or suger snap peas :wink:
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I use cucumber slices all the time. Maybe firm type or baby tomatoes?
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Sliced red bell peppers are the bomb for dips. Jicama is awesome, it's kinda sweet and kinda like a raw potato but not starchy. And yep, you just peel it and chop it up raw.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like it with Ryvita but I don't know if you can get that in the UK but basically some sort of crisp bread?
  • RayMay4
    RayMay4 Posts: 7
    Options
    Peppers! (:
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, peppers...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    jicama
    I've never had it, what is the flavor like and do I just chop it up raw or is there any preparation necessary?
    Tastes like a not-so-sweet apple. Texture between an apple and a (raw) potato. Really tasty, though, with lemon/lime juice and a sprinkle of chile pepper.

Preparation is peeling it -- like a big potato, then either dicing or julienne.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    jicama

I second the jicama! You have to peel it, then just chop it up to whatever size you like. It's pretty sweet for a tuber. I think it's delicious. Not at savory or grassy tasting as celery by any means, but really good (IMHO).
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Red peppers. So sweet and delicious.