Brussel Sprouts

Options
Jacole18
Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
I just bought brussel sprouts for the 1st time today...I remember liking them when I was younger, but I haven't had them in YEARS....AND I have no idea how to cook them. Any fun ideas? TIA

Replies

• skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    I love them in a cheese sauce yumm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil and salt.

or, to be super decadent: a la Emeril- roasted with sausage or bacon, or ham, or.... and then topped with parmesan cheese.
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love them this is what I do , I rinse them , remove a few of the outer leaves then chop them in halves throw on a cookie sheet or shallow baking pan, drizzle olive oil salt and pepper throw them in the oven 400 degrees for about 15 to 18 minutes depending on your taste i like mine a little crisp or slightly burned, MMMM MMM , i think i might have me some too
  • jcarrigan11
    Options
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt and serve immediately.

Serves: 6; Calories: 109; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 10 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 269 milligrams

Sometimes I like to add a little turkey bacon as well.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    yummy...thanks guys!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I trim the bottom and pull off any yellow leaves. I put them in a micro bowl with lid and a splash of water and zap them, about 3 min for 6 or so. Sometimes I eat them with salt and pepper. Sometimes I take a little pat of butter or olive oil. Sometimes I grate a bit of parmesean on top.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Part boil then pan fry with chopped bacon and pine nuts
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the nearest compost heap, or feed them to someone you don't like ;(
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    boil them in a little water and put about 3T of worstershire sauce in the water. Yummy!!
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    roasted with olive oil, garlic, and pepper. I love brussel sprouts.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Steam them and serve them with a little pepper. Don't boil or microwave them, for various reasons that makes them inedible.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Roasted at about 400 F until browned then I serve them with a balsamic reduction :-)
  • archiesbaby
    Options
    Hi there. I usually steam brussel sprouts and toss them in xvoo with a little garlic. Yummy!
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump! Love brussel sprouts!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Decadent: a little molasses, I don't have a recipe, but I've had it this way at a restaurant.

At home I usually roast with garlic, olive oil, and pepper.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil and salt.

or, to be super decadent: a la Emeril- roasted with sausage or bacon, or ham, or.... and then topped with parmesan cheese.

I win over sprout haters all the time (including myself) by roasting them.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the nearest compost heap, or feed them to someone you don't like ;(

^^^ torture for me when someone puts these on my plate^^^
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I usually saute mine in olive oil, a little bit of salt, and some garlic and minced onions. YUM!!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I cheat when I prepare them. I buy the steamable microwave bag, and cook per the directions. I empty the bag and slice them all in half on my cutting board (be careful, they are hot). I heat up a little oil and butter in a skillet, then throw the halves into the skillet to sear them. I use a variety of seasonings depending on the meal that night. I like them a bit burnt/crispy.

YUM
  • Bethhurst
    Bethhurst Posts: 4
    Options
    Definately roasted...a couple of Tbsp of olive oil, kosher salt and pepper...toss together in a bowl. Pour onto a baking sheet. Roast at 425 or so giving the pan a shake to roll them around every 5 - 10 minutes or so. Might take about 20 minutes. I like mine pretty brown and could eat the whole batch myself. I use frozen a lot for this as they are usually a more uniform shape and more tender. Don't even have to thaw them first.