Smoothie Question

Options
kr1ssy23
kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
My neighbor just brought over a whole case of blueberries and a whole case of strawberries. I really dont know what Im going to do with all of them but smoothies or juices come to mind. My question is...do I have to use yogurt? I dont always have some available.

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I make my smoothie with soy milk. As long as there's some liquid in there to make the smoothie from, it don't think it matters exactly what it is.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie (with or without protein powder) without yogurt... I use 1/2 a banana (frozen bananas give it a thicker texture), blueberries, strawberries, spinach (if i have it) and unsweetened vanilla almond milk or vanilla soymilk. That's breakfast for me a lot of days!
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just sub 1 cup of some type of milk; dairy, soy, almond, rice instead of the yogurt and then a couple ice cubes with a quarter cup of your fruit. I add in a tablespoon of ground flaxseed for a little boost too.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Here's my go-to smoothie recipe:

1 cup berries
    1/2 ripe banana
    1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 cup liquid (water, soy milk, juice, or crushed ice)
    handful of leafy greens (optional)

You can also freeze berries to use in smoothies later on, then you won't need ice. Place them on a cookie sheet and freeze, then transfer to a ziplock. That way they don't stick together in one clump.

Also, get creative with the berries. I like them sprinkled on cereal, or on a salad, or just straight-up as a snack.
  • cckellympls
    cckellympls Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh.....that sounds so good. Love to freeze left over fruit before it goes bad and make smoothies. You can use juice and ice, or milk or soymilk. Sometimes i do water with protein powder and frozen fruit and ice (my personal fav way to do it). Have fun with that. Or just put some fresh fruit in plain greek yogert....yum!!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    make protein shakes with those bad boys....

some vanilla (or chocolate if you please) protein powder, almond milk, ice.... you're good to go.....Oh and I know people will react weird (they always do) but I ALWAYS throw some black beans or white kidney beans in my protein shakes -- I PROMISE YOU CAN'T TASTE THEM. They add a bunch of fiber and make the shake more creamy!! win win.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    make some muffins! or some pancakes!!!! yum
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to throw in some spinach. A great source of iron and you don't even taste it. The blueberries will hide the green color from the spinach.
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the ideas! Ill have to give some of them a try :)
  • meliad
    meliad Posts: 71
    Options
    You can make them with water!! A zucchini or banana will make it creamier.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My neighbor just brought over a whole case of blueberries and a whole case of strawberries. I really dont know what Im going to do with all of them but smoothies or juices come to mind. My question is...do I have to use yogurt? I dont always have some available.

Don't forget to freeze them in the mean time. You can use them right out of the freezer and it makes the smotties nice and icey, and the berries stay good that way. no rotting. :)
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    put them in your protein or oatmeal, either way it's going to be good.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I never put dairy in smoothies. Fruit and ice. If it's too thick or lumpy add a little juice or water. Or I've even used diet sprite.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use green tea as the lube, or juice/flavoured water
    Mostly (cold) green tea though

Try a handful of kale, blueberries, strawbs, a banana, green tea, a kiwi and some grapes

I've been having that every day for a week :), skins gone lovely, v filling, 200 odd cals for nearly a litre

My poo smells like bananas now as well, a pleasantly surprising bonus
  • shortiedav82
    Options
    i like to use that v8 fruit juice to go in mine. because i only make strawberry banana the v8 fusion strawberry banana juice just fits and brings out more of the flavors lol
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Don't forget to freeze them in the mean time. You can use them right out of the freezer and it makes the smotties nice and icey, and the berries stay good that way. no rotting. :)

This! Freeze them! That way you don't feel like you have to consume them all in the next couple days and you can really enjoy them : )
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, but I prefer to use some and choose Fage Total (full fat) for extra protein. If I want to make it thick I'll opt for half an avocado and a total of 1 cup fruit (typically strawberries and grapes) mixed with 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nope. Yogurt is optional. I just use 6-12 ounces of cold water. You can use ice cubes to make it thicker, or freeze your fruit (and then it will last longer anyway) and then the frozen fruit will thicken it up.