almond milk

Options
Hi! I just recently bought almond milk as a better alternative to cows milk, now I'm curious if I can cook with it? I got vanilla flavor 2day n I LOVE it. Had it on my cereal today yummy. I would love 2 try it in dome recipes!

Replies

• hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    I cook with it all of the time. I use the unflavored, but vanilla would probably be good for baking.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't ever cook with almond milk because it's not the same consistency as regular milk. Also the flavor is going to be way off unless you are using the unsweetened almond milk.
  • HolllyBot
    HolllyBot Posts: 33
    Options
    I use it in cooking, but regular flavored unsweetened. You wouldn't want to use vanilla in something like Mac and Cheese for example!
  • lovelysummerbabe2012
    Options
    Almond milk is the greatest thing EVER. I bake/cook with it all the time. If something calls for milk I just use that, always the unsweetened kind though
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    I too love almond milk and coconut milk. I use them in my morning smoothies!

The other day, I used unsweetened almond milk in my family's mashed potatoes, along with some olive oil, instead of traditional milk and butter. No one noticed a bit of difference, or at least no one complained!
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I cook with soy milk and almond milk. It works the same. Although, if you use flavored almond milk, it will make the recipies a little sweeter. One thing, you can't make pudding mixes or anything with gelatin with anything other than animal milk or water.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just recently bought almond milk as a better alternative to cows milk, now I'm curious if I can cook with it? I got vanilla flavor 2dsy n I LOVE it. Had it on my cereal today yummy.

i have the blue diamond vanilla UNSWEETENED almond milk. 40cals for an 8oz glass...tough to beat that. and it tastes great.

i typically add a little milk to my scrambled eggs, and i tried using the almond milk and it tasted a little funky. (i did it only because the vanilla flavor isnt very apparent in the unsweetened almond milk)
    idk if the plain would be better for cooking, but im not sure i'll be using the vanilla for anything savory.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Almond milk is the greatest thing EVER. I bake/cook with it all the time. If something calls for milk I just use that, always the unsweetened kind though

Looks like I need to try cooking with it. Now do you only bake with it or do you use it for regular recipes that call for milk as well?
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was sure hoping to love this stuff when I bought it but just couldn't.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    smoothies & cereal are about all I use it in.... tastes great but the consistency is def. wayyyy off! If you want to cook stick with the cow in my opinion!
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great advice I too just started drinking almond milk and love it. I only drink The unsweeten kind though.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is my fav... it's like a hit of nutella (but way better for you)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just recently bought almond milk as a better alternative to cows milk, now I'm curious if I can cook with it? I got vanilla flavor 2day n I LOVE it. Had it on my cereal today yummy. I would love 2 try it in dome recipes!

I use it in my protein shakes....
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I have the unsweetened vanilla almond milk (bought by mistake in liue of the unsweetened original, can't tell the difference). I use it just like I would milk. Only exception - not so good in hot coffee: it tastes like burnt almonds to me. Excellent for iced coffees, scrambled eggs, smoothies, baking, etc. Enjoy your new found milk alternative - yum!
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I drink and bake with the unsweetened vanilla, and cook with the unsweetened regular flavor. LOVE IT! I have actually drank it when I had a sweet tooth and it was just sweet enough to not grab something worse!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I cook with soy milk and almond milk. It works the same. Although, if you use flavored almond milk, it will make the recipies a little sweeter. One thing, you can't make pudding mixes or anything with gelatin with anything other than animal milk or water.

Soy milk works 'okay' with pudding, but you have to use half as much. I'll have to try making it with almond milk.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    Vanilla is great for baking, smoothies, etc.

Plain for sauces.