Is this a victory or a failure?

Options
My (skinny) friend came over today and brought about 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies for us and our kids to have for dessert after lunch. There were a lot left over and I wanted her to take them home, but she insisted I keep them. "Just pop them in the freezer!" she said. So they were calling to me all afternoon, and after eating three, I dumped the rest down the garbage disposal.

I am glad to have gotten rid of them, even though I hate to waste food, but on the other hand, sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me that people like her can keep that stuff in the house and it doesn't tempt them, while I can't even buy white bread because I'd eat it all in one day.

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Good choice on getting rid of them.

Nothing is wrong with you or "people like her". It all about moderation. Choose wisely
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes it's a big old shame you cant freeze then for slim visitors without a eating disorder
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB! I personally have had a hard time when friends who want to go out to eat give me grief over wanting to go to a healthy place, or when I order healthy they nag on me about how I dont need to be on a diet. I LOOK THIS WAY BC I AM ON A DIET SILLIES. sigh. Stay strong in your convictions! It will pay off in the end! I am proud of you!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing for you. That is a victory! :bigsmile:
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it's a victory. You only ate three. And you know yourself well enough to know that it's not feasible for you to have them around. So I say: good job!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Some of us have a hard time keeping things around. Today I grabbed me a pizza. After 3 slices I felt full so instead of keeping it around I just knocked on my neighbors door and gave him the rest.

I am hoping that eventually I will have the will power to keep goodies in my home but learning about your strengths and weakness is not bad. I know that I can't keep things in my house. So I don't. That is the reason I have spike/cheat days rather than eat "treats" everyday, I just keep a day when I eat unhealthy to satisfy any cravings I got for a bit.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Your friend doesn't have the will power to not eat them...that's why she left them with you! :flowerforyou:
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    My (skinny) friend came over today and brought about 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies for us and our kids to have for dessert after lunch. There were a lot left over and I wanted her to take them home, but she insisted I keep them. "Just pop them in the freezer!" she said. So they were calling to me all afternoon, and after eating three, I dumped the rest down the garbage disposal.

I am glad to have gotten rid of them, even though I hate to waste food, but on the other hand, sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me that people like her can keep that stuff in the house and it doesn't tempt them, while I can't even buy white bread because I'd eat it all in one day.

I think you did well, if I weren't diabetic, I would have one every now and then too. I don't think it is bad to have a cookie but just don't eat 3 dozen (I use to be able to do that and would forgo healthy REAL food just to eat things that were awful for me)

I don't allow that stuff in the house cause not only does it call to me but it screams and yells lol!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you don't have control of yourself with them in the house, you did the right thing even if it was wasteful. Many of us have trigger foods, it's good to recognize this and figure out a way/ways to deal with it. With time and good habits, you may get to the point where you can keep them in the house and not feel like the cookies are controlling you. Until then, acknowledge your limits and work within them. But the cookies were a gift and given with good intent so always remember to say thank you whether you intend to indulge or not.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a victory!!! Only YOU know YOUR limitations and you did what you had to do to keep from overdoing it.... :blushing: Good for you!!! :smile:
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Way to have self control!! Seriously! Eating 3 chocolate chip cookies is okay, once in a while, (i believe in moderation!!) BUT you wouldn't want to make a habit out of it. Great job getting rid of them! I am like you, I would hear them calling my name morning, noon, and night. (and I don't understand how people can "freeze" desserts and forget about them -- I CAN'T!! lol) Make up for them with exercise, stay within your calories today, and nest time you have the friend over, suggest a healthier snack she could bring - like watermelon or strawberries (given that it is SO hot outside!!)
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I'd say a victory, good for you for only eating 3 and throwing them out. It's hard, but at least you didn't eat all of them :)
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    Remember, tomorrows a new day !
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Victory for sure. It's good to know your triggers.You were strong enough to control the urge (even if that means getting rid of them!)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Victory!

In the end, you made the call that was best for you. WTG!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Your friend doesn't have the will power to not eat them...that's why she left them with you! :flowerforyou:

PROBABLY!
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    its a victory, dont worry about "people like her" there is nothing wrong with you, if there is then there is something wrong with a huge amount of us, you just do what you gotta do to reach your goals
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB! I personally have had a hard time when friends who want to go out to eat give me grief over wanting to go to a healthy place, or when I order healthy they nag on me about how I dont need to be on a diet. I LOOK THIS WAY BC I AM ON A DIET SILLIES. sigh. Stay strong in your convictions! It will pay off in the end! I am proud of you!

If I went out to dinner with you, there would be no way I could NOT order healthy. You look INCREDIBLE.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    That's a start at not letting food control you. =] Good job!

Most people are here have that same issue and you CAN beat it.

I can finally say food doesn't control me anymore, I enjoy it but when I'm full I'm done, I move on. This has taken over a year to get a hold of though.

To start I would force myself to leave SOMETHING no matter how small on my plate especially if I was plenty full (knowing what full felt like was hard to recognize too).

Anyway that eventually changed my attitude towards wasting food. I don't put as much on my plate since I won't finish it all and if I get too much I remind myself it will be here tomorrow this isn't the very last time I can eat it.

<3 You'll beat it, it just takes time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    VICTORY!!! I would have eaten them all, so you've got me beat!

And you didn't waste "food". Like that disclaimer about animals in movies, no actual food was harmed during this story.