In need of some fitness advice!

Options
I've done quite a bit of research and still have a bunch of questions. I'm doing this on my own, with no one to really talk to but my myfitnesspals. I've been on my journey since April with 10lbs lost and a total of 20.5 inches. I honestly have no idea where my BMR comes into play here, I take in no more than 1,600 calories a day and am starting to burn 1,500 a day.

I'd like to push myself more, I've talked to my doctor and she cleared me to lose up to 5lbs a week which is my goal! I'm having a hard time finding how many calories I need to burn in order to reach my weekly goal.

I'm 22
5ft 6'
415lbs
BMR is: 2,659 calories/day

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LucindaLeeMI
    LucindaLeeMI Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. DOH!
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's ok! What's your plan of attack?

I've lost 120lbs and would love to help.
  • LucindaLeeMI
    Options
    5lbs a week for sure, goal is to lose 265lbs in total, but taking it in stride. Current goal is 50lb. I'm not sure what my calorie intake/burn ratio should be? Thanks for the help!
  • LucindaLeeMI
    Options
    Inspirational weight loss by the way!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    500 cal/day deficit = 1lb/week loss
    so... 5lb/week= 2500 cal deficit per day

Buttttt Honestly I'm not familiar with the weight loss strategies for people with a lot to lose, so there might be other influences I don't know about- I'm just giving the standard math- I don't want to imply that I know how to attack your situation. :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on the success you've started!
  • ilovegreg05
    Options
    At 415lbs, you could easily eat more than 1200 calories a day and still lose 5lbs+ per week. It's always better to start higher and work your way lower.

Say, start at 2500 and keep at that until weight loss slows, then lower it 100 calories. Keep it simple.

Just make sure to exercise consistently. Both cardio and strength training.
  • LucindaLeeMI
    Options
    That's what I've read, I'm okay with upping my caloric intake. I'm assuming from MoreBean I would need to burn 2500 more calories then I'm taking in? So if I were to up my calories to 2,000 a day, I'd have to burn 4,500?

Sorry if that's a stupid question!
  • LucindaLeeMI
    Options
    Ilovegreg05, I know I need to exercise constantly and plan on it. I guess I'm just a numbers kind of gal. I need to see the hard facts and do the math to assure myself I'm doing it right.
  • ilovegreg05
    Options
    Don't split hairs until it's needed.

I use to do this too and I wouldn't start until I have everything figured and what happened? I never started. You don't have to have complete control of everything. Do what you do - enjoy and watch your body change. Visit my log and post any questions you have in there!

Take care.
  • LucindaLeeMI
    Options
    Will do, thanks for the advice!!