Kale

Options
How do you prepare and how do you eat it? Just chopped up in a lettuce salad? Never had it, never made it. Bought it for the fist time today.

Replies

• Mark4Fitness
    Mark4Fitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This may sound a bit weird but I put about a cup of it in my morning smoothie. I use skim milk, flavored protein powder, flavored yogurt and lots of frozen and fresh fruits (blueberries really help mask the green) . I also include a small banana - acts as a thickening agent.

Add ice and blend until thick and smooth. I substitute spinach for kale regularly... I love it and my 8.5 y/o granddaughter has no clue that it has a veggie in it and asks for it every time she visits.

Mark
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought it said "Kate" and I was hoping for Kate Upton photos. #letdown
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I throw it in stir fry....with a little worcestershire sauce, red wine, minced garlic and lemon juice. It's delicious and adds color and texture to whatever else I put in. It really shrinks up, so you need quite a bit.
  • triciamarie
    triciamarie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    never had it but i just bought some after reading a yummy recipe and it did say if using it as a salad to dress the salad early to let let the kale soften up a bit.... let me know how it goes :)
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have made kale chips and added basil to them. They are yummy. I also cook it. I cut the center out of the leaf, cut the tender outer part into bite size pieces and sautee in coconut or EVOO with garlic and onions. I've also tried it in my smoothies but it doesn't blend as well as spinach I find. But I have a cheap blender.
    I have some growing on my balcony in a pot. I take the baby leaves and eat them raw.

I suggest you use it up right away. The longer it sits the more bitter it gets. Or so I find.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stir fry. We do a stir fry of kale and white/black beans and put them in taco shells.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/06/dinner-tonight-black-bean-and-kale-tacos-recipe.html

DELISH!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wrap my pemmican in kale, so i can eat it without getting my hands greasy when I'm out hiking. That's real pemmican by the way, not jerky.
  • jendon7
    jendon7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i make kale chips several times a week! here's the recipe i use. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe/index.html
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wrap my pemmican in kale, so i can eat it without getting my hands greasy when I'm out hiking. That's real pemmican by the way, not jerky.
    Wow. Pemmican. That's a blast from the past!
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I heard of people putting them in juices and baking them in the oven and using them as chips :) I have never had it but need to get some to try it :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I cook it usually - a couple of handfuls added to a stir fry or for the last few minutes if making a casserole
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a smoothie (like what was already suggested to you) and I also stir fry mine in either olive or avocado oil with some minced garlic cloves and a little pepper. Kale has a strong flavor to it when you eat it raw so if you're not used to it, it may be hard to eat it that way at first, but you will get used to it. Stirfrying it relaxes the strong flavor a bit for me anyways.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I eat kale in a smoothie, 6 cups of chopped kale blended throughly, add 3 bananas, and 2 cups of frozen fruit, and blend again.
    It tastes like a fruit smoothie, and I don't like the taste of kale, but it's too nutritious to pass up... I feel kale and other green leafy vegetables have helped my health more than anything I've done...
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I will steam it and just eat it like that. Or drizzle a little olive oil, garlic onions and saute it until its nice and soft and it it that way.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't much like it raw, unless it's been marinated in a lemony dressing for a while first.
    Add it to soups. Steam it. Pan fry it with olive oil and garlic. Add it to sauces and stir-fries. We like to slice it into strips and add it to the pan when making scrambled eggs. I'd say it's taste is somewhere between spinach and broccoli, and you could use it wherever you'd use either of those cooked.
    Lacinato (or Dino) Kale (it's dark green and looks like dinosaur skin) is my favorite kind. It's less bitter than the curly varieties.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I saute it in some bacon fat with onion and garlic. The stems are really tough, so if you do want to eat them (i hate to waste!) cook them a lot longer than the leaves