Why do I not lose weight?

Options
My reccomended caloric intake is 1200, but usually, I barely break 1000. And I exercise anywhere from 300-500 calories each day. Given, if you looked at my diary today, I didn't eat a single fruit or vegetable. But 90% of the time, I eat very cautiously. I recently upped my caloric intake to 1000, because before I was eating around 800 calories and still burning the 300-500. At that time, I was losing weight easily. Are these 200 calories seriouslly making me put on weight?!

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Your body is like a car it needs fuel to run properly you wouldn't try driving your car with an empty tank.....
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yep- you are not eating enough
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough. Your diary is not public so I can't see what you're eating but no fruits/vegetables does not sound good. You should try 1200 calories of MOSTLY fruits and vegetables with meat, dairy, whole grains. Changing your diet may help jump start your body. Sometimes you need to mix it up, your body gets used to you doing the same thing over and over and it adjusts.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    You're only 18, so you're still growing. 800 calories for you is basically starving. AND you're burning 500 calories on top of that. So your body is only getting 300 calories per day! I'm suprised you're still alive.
    Definitely increase your calories and eat healhier foods like bananas, spinach, broccoli, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, avocado, nuts, carrots, etc.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    You do have to eat and I don't think that 200 calories that you've added is going to make you gain weight. Your BMR has to be higher than that so you are already burning more than you are putting in. Not drinking enough water, eating things that are processed/packed with sodium is going to make it harder to lose weight. Eating enough is a great way to lose weight too- like someone else said you have to have fuel to run.

Fruits and veg are good, full of nutrients/vitamins/fiber that will help you lose weight so why avoid them? Good luck.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    Options
    As you lose weight the rate at which you loose it dramatically slows and you even sometimes you even hit a wall. As someone said earlier often you have to change up your diet, workout routine, sometimes even both of them to jump start it all again. With what you have already lost I would suggest something as simple as going high protein/low carb diet for a few weeks. Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat and the more you exercise the more muscle gain you will have. It's typically harder for women to see progress in weight as they get closer to their goals so just checking your measurements and how your cloths fit.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    800 calories plus exercise is basically starving yourself. Even 1200 calories is pushing it.
    May I ask how much you weigh and how much you want to lose?

I guarantee if you increase your calories above 1200/day you will lose weight.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!!!!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    you are absolutely not eating enough! you need to figure out your basal metabolic rate and see how many calories you are burning just by being alive and then eat 20% more than that (I think that is the number) good luck
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    I was eating really low calorie and it didn't work out, and now I eat 1375 and I'm loosing fat consistently. 800 probably worked at first until your metabolism adjusted to low calorie.
  • Its not just about calories, its about macro-nutrients (fats, carbs and proteins). have you had a look at your macro-nutrients summary? your body needs a combination of complex carbs, protein and essential fats to be able to lose weight. foods like fruits, vegetables, egg whites, almonds, salmon, leafy greens, natural yoghurt, low fat oats, WPI protein powder, multivitamins, fish oil capsules - these are essential in your diet. if you eat 1200 calories a day of candy bars or sandwiches or whatever its irrelevant that you are making your calorie count, you need to be eating the right foods.
  • if you are eating way under your calorie count then your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto all your fat and you won't lose anything
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh: food is good for you try it some time:bigsmile:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    To increase your calories eat some almonds or other nuts, peanut butter, or other foods that are healthy yet higher in calories.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    With only 13 pound to go you will lose weight slower. You are not eating enough so the inevitable happened. Your body decided to conserve the calories it gets. It will take some doing but get used to fueling your body, concentrating on real nutrients, and whole foods and feel great as you begin to lose weight again.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You are not giving your body enough food = energy, which is putting it in starvation mode. If you are exercising that gives you room to eat more, and still stay within your range.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I see you are currently 199 lbs?
    Since I don't know your height, I just guessed 5' 5", I just input your stats into MPF for a sedentary lifestyle and no workouts and you should be eating at LEAST 1600 calories per day. If you are taller than 5' 5", have more than a sedentary lifestyle, or work out at all, then you should be eating more than 1600 calories per day. At that rate, you should lose at least 1 lb per week.

I am currently 197 lbs and I am 5' 2". I sit all day at work and I don't work out. My calorie max is currently set to 1470 and I've been consistently losing weight. INCREASE YOUR CALORIES (with healthy foods of course).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Make it easy for you. Your NET calories should be 1200. That means that even after you've worked out, you should eat UP to 1200. Starving your body won't help you to lose fat weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition