Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've been looking into buying a HRM to help me keep an accurate count of my steps and lost calories. I know already I'm looking for a one with a possible chest strap, but I came across a new one that uses a stainless steel sensor that eliminates the need for the chest trap. Can anyone gives me some suggestions as to what to look for in a good HRM? I'd appreciate it. These two are two that I'm looking into, but I'd like people's opinions on them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MIO-Motion-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch-with-Multi-Function-Activity-Monitor/15657650#Product+Reviews

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MIO-Energy-Pro-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch-with-Chest-Strap-and-Biometric-Sensor-Technology/15681077

Replies

• taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    use the search button??

Not being B*tchy, but ther eis heaps of good info out there, just gotta look for it
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    use the search button??

Not being B*tchy, but ther eis heaps of good info out there, just gotta look for it

Well I wanted to see what people have to say about theirs, because I searched and looked through all these different monitors and I want to know some things I should look for in one
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Brighteyes, I came to this board to ask the same question. All my research, with the use of the "search" button, has confused me even more and I was hoping to get some opinions from folks who have actually tried some of these devices. Let me know if you find any good info and I will do the same.
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    Brighteyes, I came to this board to ask the same question. All my research, with the use of the "search" button, has confused me even more and I was hoping to get some opinions from folks who have actually tried some of these devices. Let me know if you find any good info and I will do the same.

Very well! I will add you as a friend and keep you updated!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This question has been asked before. Most of the answers were the Polar FT4. So today I went and purchased one. Cant wait until tomorrow to use it. Its cheaper on the website below with no shipping cost. But I went on and purchased mine at Best Buy. This is what a lot of the people on the site if recommending. Hope this helps

http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks and that is a great loss so far, 23! Woot.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Options
    From what the majority of the people on the site is saying, A HRM is good it it has a chest strap. Now Mio, what you were looking at, I saw on in Best Buy that could be used with or without the strap. I think the chest strap is good to get a more accurate reading, but I will not try it until in the morning.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Options
    Thanks and that is a great loss so far, 23! Woot.

Thank you so much:happy:
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    From what the majority of the people on the site is saying, A HRM is good it it has a chest strap. Now Mio, what you were looking at, I saw on in Best Buy that could be used with or without the strap. I think the chest strap is good to get a more accurate reading, but I will not try it until in the morning.

Do you mind posting on here tomorrow and letting us know how it went?
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Options
    Sorry, I think the more expensive the more features it has. The Polar I think track calories burned, heart rate and maybe one or two more things. I have not open the package yet to read everything. But that is enough for me the calories burned, heart rate and if I'm in the zone. But the feature and cost is what you would like the HRM to track.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Options

Ok, I'll do that. I'll be up early before the sun come up. The heat here in Georgia is really hot once the sun is up. I'll let you know how it does.
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options

Ok, I'll do that. I'll be up early before the sun come up. The heat here in Georgia is really hot once the sun is up. I'll let you know how it does.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • uneak26
    uneak26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and its best to use the one that has the chest strap...u will get a more accurate reading of calories burned and consistant heart monitoring during your entire workout..
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    I recently bought a Polat ft4. it has a chest strap. which i expected to suck and be uncomfortable. but honestly its not uncomfortable. you feel it yes, but its nothing worse than a bra. I love it. i couldnt be happier. I input my gender, height, weight, age and it tells me how many calories I burned and how long my workout was. I'm very happy with my purchase. and it wasnt crazy expensive. ig ot it at amazon for 70. i didnt want to spend 100 or more like most of them. its a simple model but it does what I need it to. I did the search button thing and it didnt work. so I posted a bulletin like this and got a lot of good responses on the polar hrm. so i bought it. and i'm glad i did.

hope i helped!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com, using the coupon code, "popo," it was around $58. It's very basic, but all I want to know is my calories burned. I have had it a couple months and I LOVE it!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    use the search button??

I beg to differ.

Not of there being good information, rather, concerning the disposition with which you handled the matter.

:indifferent:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel....I was looking online for an HRM. There are SOOO many! And I want a waterproof one so I can use it when swimming because I spend a lot of time in the pool during the summer. There aren't many waterproof ones.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, I completely lucked out and won a Polar FT60. I love it! Absolutely amazing...it tracks my calories burned, and has training settings for various goals, including weight loss. Tracks time spent in each zone and gives you feedback on your training.

From my understanding, the HRMs with straps are more accurate and effective than ones without. Besides, I forget I even have it on...definitely not uncomfortable. From everything I read here, though, the FT4 is a less expensive model that meets most people's needs.

Hope this helps.
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    I know how you feel....I was looking online for an HRM. There are SOOO many! And I want a waterproof one so I can use it when swimming because I spend a lot of time in the pool during the summer. There aren't many waterproof ones.

They make waterproof ones? And the selection is RIDICULOUS, that's why I made this thread, hoping some people could guide me on a path to ones that work and ones that they would recommend.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have had two Polar HRM's now, the most recent is the FT7 and it is fantastic; a few more 'upgrades' than the FT4 - but like a previous poster it's no more uncomfy than a bra, you slip it on, start the watch and go; when done, stop the watch and it gives you duration, avg HR, calories burned etc... there are other bells and whistles to go with it, but those are more for people who are training in sports, or into heavy activity. I HIGHLY recommend getting either the FT4 or FT7. Why? well for example logging my exercise here on MFP for walking a 3.0 MPH on the treadmill gave me "X" amount of calories burned, however after about 3 weeks of going by those numbers I started to gain weight; found out the exercise calories I was eating back? Yeah wrong amount - so with the HRM I now know exactly how many I can eat back should I choose to do so.

They can be pricey, a friend of mine found hers for 25.00 cheaper at Sears than at Best Buy/Target prices. So DEF shop around and look for store coupons (sometimes if you sign up at the online site of the store you can get an instant $$ or % off coupong). Whatever price you pay though, it will be WORTH EVERY PENNY. (oh and the FT7 is water resistant up to 50M so you can do laps in the pool, run in the rain etc)

(I didn't pay for this HRM, it was gifted to me by my best buddy so I can't say exactly what the cost is, but still shop around)