personal trainer

Options
I am looking into getting a personal trainer....

I am nervous about it though.....I don't want to be like a baby and break down and cry during my workout.....haha

What should I expect with a person trainer?

I need to loose a lot of weight....so I want a trainer to guide me though this as well as help me out with my diet.

so any help to make me feel better about hiring a personal trainer would be good.

I mean if I can't do something are they going to get mad?
just help me calm my nerves please

Replies

• RAdams20
    RAdams20 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've never had a personal trainer, so I wouldn't know what to tell you ... except for Good Luck! :-)
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I started using a personal trainer last August. I must say, mine has a great personality and is very encouraging, both with workouts and diet. He understands physical limitations & would work with someone, help them find an alternate exercise if necessary. Most importantly, he didn't run screaming in the opposite direction when I told him I weigh 243 lbs (my own pre-conceived notions of a trainer).

I meet him 3x/week for 30 minutes each session. He also wants me to work out when I don't see him. In addition, he has helped me with diet - which foods to eat, what types to avoid (ALL fast foods & junk foods), how many calories to eat and such. Because I don't have any emotional support at home, he also makes me text him each night with my total calories eaten & what exercises I've done that day.

His workouts are tough, but he doesn't push me past my limit, and makes sure I'm not going to get hurt. I find it extremely helpful, because it means that I don't have to play guessing games any more. (Also, if a trainer has a good personality, he/she won't get on your case if you shed a tear or two I think :embarassed: )

Make sure you like their personality - it will be very helpful, since they will be correcting your exercise and foods.

Hopefully this was helpful!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love my PT! I do take a small group personal training class to save some cash, but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything. While on the hunt for one, just share with him/her your goals, and what you would like out of the partnership. As for crying, I've been there and done that, but I've pushed through it and felt so accomplished afterwards. A PT should not get mad at you for not being able to do something, it's their job to know your limits. Keep in mind, however, that this also means you may get pushed a bit. Once you find someone you are comfortable with, put your trust in that person. And if it ever comes to the point that you are not comfortable with him/her, move on. Good luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've worked with three different trainers, and loved all of them! The first two I saw (each 1x/week) at a private studio when I was first losing. They were always positive and supportive, but always challenged me to go a little further than I thought I could. We did mostly weights, with some short cardio intervals mixed in. I kept a food journal, and reviewed it with them each week. They gave me feedback and suggested small changes I could make to improve my diet. They encouraged me to start running, and started doing some short runs (at first run/walk intervals with me). Once I got started they encouraged (pushed) me to sign up for my first 5k, and gave me a training plan to do on my own. One of them ran the 5k with me. Over the course of two years they continually nudged me out of my comfort zone, stepped up the challenge of the workouts as I got fitter and stronger, and we developed a great relationship. I've since lost about 60lbs, completed 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, and sprint triathlons. I still check in with them periodically, and they are genuinely interested in how I am doing.
    There are so many different trainers out there, so it is very important to find the right person for you. You want someone who understands your goals, and has experience helping people get there. You also want to find a good personality match, because it truly is a partnership. Look around, interview them, and go with your gut in picking the one that feels right.
    Best decision I could have made and totally worth it!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    You want someone who understands your goals, and has experience helping people get there.

I like all of what they said, and this was the most important thing for me when getting a trainer. Because some people want very little fat, high muscle, whereas I wanted to be soft, but less. And they will train you differently based on whether you are wanting to bulk up for a low fat percentage, or losing over a hundred pounds, and having a trainer that has experience doing what YOU want to do will help immensely.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer. I broke down and cried, but not during the workouts; when they tried to weigh me. I refused the whole time. Honestly it depends on the personal trainer but mine was completely friendly. Whenever I wouldn't want to do an exercise he'd motivate me or we'd make a compromise. Generally they're friendly since you're paying for them and you can drop them any second. To be honest I'm seeing more results as I work out myself than when I had a personal trainer because the only way you can loose weight successfully is if you're ready too.
  • mmerkle
    mmerkle Posts: 3
    Options
    awww...thank you all for your kind and reassuring words! Makes me feel better, and some what less nervous.

They are pricey for sure..but my health is worth so much more to me.

I think my big deal is the whole embarrassment of being this over weight, but then on the other side I feel like I am taking a stand and wanting to get a hand on it and get to a healthy weight and be more healthy and learn healthy ways.

I gained my weight after I had my daughter---this is by far the heaviest I have been since I had here...and it turned out that my thyroid is dead ...now I am on medicine to make it work and produce what i need to have energy..before I had nothing ..didn't want to do anything let alone get out of bed...Now I am full of energy and feel "normal" in a fat suit you might say! haha

Thank you all again for making me feel like I am not alone.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore my PT! he is awesome :o)

I would suggest that you make sure you are compatible with whomever you choose before you commit to anything long-term, ask if you can have a sample/trial workout before you fork over your money..........make sure your personalities don't clash!

and then............

work hard, it is so worth every bit of effort that a person puts forth to get healthy and in shape!
  • spokaloo
    spokaloo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No worries. The trainer will push you of course to do your best, but they are there to be supportive and instructional. I had a personal trainer for several months. Peter Hirsch - He is the best personal trainer ever. Some tough love I will admit, but amazing! Take your time and find someone you mesh with. You should be able to talk to one another beyond .... drop and give me 20. It's important to have good rapport :) If you are in Santa Rosa, CA.... find Peter. He's amazing ;)
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I have no idea. Im studying to be a personal trainer though and hope to be pretty cool. :)
  • nicolabellaa
    Options
    My personal trainer is a ***** she always cancels on me fus she oh so called overbook shes very mean too me no words off encourgment i wish i never payed i could have taught myself she shows mw the same thing over and over again luckily i just have 3 more sessions with her then im free thats what u get for going too an all women gym they just want ur money so they show u things over and over so once ur session is over ull pay more luckily for me im done i got what i needed from her so now on my own i say learn the machines on ur own its not worth having a personal trainer in my opinion
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Their job is to help you get in shape. Like others have said, it's important that you like your PT and that there is chemistry. I think I tried 3 before I found one that I really clicked with.

I see my personal trainer about 2x/month. I do a LOT of working out without him, so twice a month works for me at this point. I'm basically using him to teach me new things because I have no creativity in the gym! He's never gotten me to the point of tears. He always asks me if I have any limitations that day (pulled muscles, sore knees, etc.) and he works around them. And he won't make me do anything I honestly don't want to do. Like burpees. :noway: I'm 56, and I don't do burpees.
  • 4boysandme
    4boysandme Posts: 12
    Options
    I loved my personal trainer that I have been with since October. I stopped training with her about a month ago due to her taking a new job. I am now on my own and doing great! She helped me get myself back to where I am happy and confident in my body again. It was about being accountable to someone and not making excuses anymore. She taught me the HUGE benefits of strength training in addition to cardio and of course logging calories into MFP! I lost 30 lbs in 7 months and am now 4 lbs from my goal of maintaining.
    They push you past the point you would push yourself but honestly that is what you are paying them to do. She always told me she puts the "FU" in FUN;) and that losing weight is a marathon not a sprint, don't expect to see results overnight. She was down to earth and realized we all struggle with food and time to exercise, herself included. I guess what I am trying to say is if you find a trainer you like they can do amazing things for you but you have to want it too. Crying, swearing, whatever....they are used to it:wink: .
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. He understands my goals, and while he pushes me to do stuff I normally wouldn't do on my own, he always makes our session fun. I see him one hour per week and work out on my own 2-3 nights a week. He always asks about what I've been working on between sessions. We are mostly working on strength training, but we add some balance and coordination challenges into it because I need to work on those as well.

I think its really important to have someone you mesh with well, so if you can meet or talk to your trainer before your first session that would be great.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I tried a personal trainer a few years ago, but I hated it...mainly because I don't like commitment. It bothers me to be expected to adhere to someone else's schedule. I want to be able to go where I want when I feel like it, and not go when i don't. Trainers expect you to show up to your appointment then they tell you what to do. That annoyed me too. But if that wouldn't bother you, then go for it.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I once saw a trainer that was more interested in fulfilling his own agenda than mine. He got me to do a lot of weights and increase it quickly (I wasn't too interested in weight lifting at the time), made me do very low carb when I was a vegetarian. I never felt like he pushed me hard enough, and he was way too expensive for what he offered. So I stopped seeing him, this was years ago though.

I've just started seeing a trainer at my gym. He pushes me really hard and wants me to get the results I want. I did struggle with something he got me to do (but I did it anyway) and he said he gets really excited and to let him know if I find something too challenging. He asked me what my nutrition was like and sounded happy with it, he didn't offer any advice but I didn't really want any advice, but I'd take into consideration if he suggested something. He gets me to do exercises during the week as well as the sessions, but I already do a lot on my own anyway.

I think if you see the right trainer they're definitely worth it. Not all trainers will push you out of your comfort zone if you don't want them to. You can always swap trainers if you don't like the one you're with. But I'd definitely recommend it!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. He understands my goals, and while he pushes me to do stuff I normally wouldn't do on my own, he always makes our session fun. I see him one hour per week and work out on my own 2-3 nights a week. He always asks about what I've been working on between sessions. We are mostly working on strength training, but we add some balance and coordination challenges into it because I need to work on those as well.

I think its really important to have someone you mesh with well, so if you can meet or talk to your trainer before your first session that would be great.

sadly and oddly, i haven't articulated my goals. but I'm going and I'm off the couch..
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have used personal trainers on and off for years. As with any industry there are good and bad trainers. In my mind a trainer should push you to do more than you think you can, and then be your cheering section also. When you pick one, give the person a couple of sessions to see how you "fit" with them. If you don't feel like it is working for you talk to them and tell them why. One trainer I had took it really easy on me thinking I was older and had never lifted weights despite me telling him different. On the 3rd session we talked it out while I walked on the treadmill and he gave me the session for free. Once we understood each other he turned out to be the best trainer I have ever had.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have worked with 3 different PTs. The first one was amazing, and helped me really get the results I was looking for. The second guy was nice, but he and I didn't mesh as well. His training methods just weren't working for me.

The third one is the one I work with now, and he pushes me harder than I would EVER push myself. I am ALWAYS pushed to my limits and can barely walk down the stairs to my apartment at the end of our session. He and I get along well, but he's very demanding of his clients (as in he has you work HARD). Our first session together was ridiculous - I thought I was going to die. But I kept with it, and kept coming back. About a year later he admitted that he pushes clients really hard in their first session to see if they'll keep coming back, because he wants to work with people who are really dedicated to getting themselves in shape. He's an all natural professional bodybuilder, and it just happens that I prefer that sort of training and mentality - no BS, no frills, no high fives, just push yourself and sweat. ETA - When he DOES compliment me on my hard work, it makes it that much more meaningful to me :) Not everyone is going to like it!

There are a large variety of PTs out there who will fit your needs. Check out a few - try a single session and see how you feel. Don't give up if the first one you try isn't for you!