Have you Ever Had a Brain Tumor???

Options
LeanerBeef
LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
No? Yes? I did. And I’m here to say that it’s not a death sentence. I will admit that it’s a scary thing. Especially when you’re primary care doctor that has to break the news looks like he is going to cry when telling you.

I had a meningioma removed about 6 years ago. It was a pretty scary time. All my doctors told me that I would most likely be fine. But most likely does not mean definitely. In between my diagnosis and my craniotomy we found out that my wife was pregnant. Can you say stress? Word….

The good news, they did my surgery, removed the tumor and because I’m the baddest person on the planet, they sent me home the next day…Either that or my insurance was up and they needed the bed. Why I am writing this? Because it’s therapeutic for me. and also because hopefully it will give someone else in a similar situation some hope. A brain tumor is not a death sentence. It’s not cool and definitely a little scary but doctors today can do amazing things. Sheryl Crow, are you listening?? Yeah, she has the same type of tumor.

My name is Beef and I'm a bad motherf*kr!

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Great you beat it beef! My mom had a brain tumor. it's a big issue with me.
  • CanadianChic
    CanadianChic Posts: 141
    Options
    Glad to see you beat it! You have a lot to live for, and PS... you are one sexy bada$$ mother F'r!!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I had a tumor behind my left eye when I was a wee little one. It pressed upon my brain and made my eye look a little buggy. I beat it, I beat my cancer... 20+ years... I'm still here!

Congrats to you on beating it, being a dad, husband and living your life! You're amazing and an inspiration!
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you who beat brain cancer! I lost 3 of my grandparents to it. Watching them die slowly. One of the worst ways to go..
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and recovery from the tumor! My Mom was diagnosed with the same type on New Years Eve going into 1999. Luckily it wasn't cancerous but it was also the size of a grapefruit. Her memory, temperment and balance is a little off but I wouldn't trade the world for any second that I'm able to spend with her.

My family and I also attend the Brain Tumor Walk/3K run every May in Washington DC if you're interested. It's an extremely emotional experience especially for my family and all of the proceeds go towards an amazing cause.

Keep up the great work and positive attitude!!!

PS - I love your screenname even though I'm vegetarian :-p
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Your timing is wonderful. A friend was diagnosed with a brain mass just today. Still more tests to run, so we don't know the prognosis or treatment at this point. Your story helps. I'm going to share with his wife.

Thank you.
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My dad just had an acoustic neuroma removed this week! Still in the hospital but has an excellent prognosis. So proud of him and my mom has been a champ.
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nope. but my brother does. a very agressive and as the oncologist put it just a few hours ago, an "extremely deadly" type of cancer.

im glad you beat it.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    You are truly blessed and I am willing to bet that you savor every minute of every day! Good for you, sir! Congratulations on your life!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cool you beat it, but the problem is their are multiple forms of brain tumors... My mom had a stage four (the highest), that was named Glioblastoma Multiforme, she didn't make it.:cry: Last year on June 11th, she took her last breath in this world. So, forgive me if I am not jumping...

Sorry...
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    My mother had a brain tumor. It destroyed her brain before they found and removed it, and it ended up killing her a couple years ago. You are very blessed to be alive. I miss her... :(
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    That's awesome that you beat it, Beef!

I've never had a brain tumor, but my mom had 21 when they finally realized she didn't, in fact, have asthma as the doctor here was telling her. She beat her brain tumors, but the non-small-cell lung cancer it started as ended up taking her life anyhow.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

My family and I also attend the Brain Tumor Walk/3K run every May in Washington DC if you're interested. It's an extremely emotional experience especially for my family and all of the proceeds go towards an amazing cause.

My cousin who had a brain tumor removed about 2 years or so ago now does this walk every year now. Other than losing her hearing in one ear from one of the 2 surgeries she had she's doing great now.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you came out of it as healthy as you did. Sadly, it didn't end so well for my aunt in 2008. Her brain tumor was malignant by the time they caught it, and it was just too far gone.

**** CANCER. It's an evil disease no matter what form.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    in 2003 shortly after my dad passed away from a dvt (blood clot) that passed i found out i had an olive sized tumor in in my brain, and had it removed on my winter break from school it turned out begine but had a bummer recovery having to be driven around by everyone thank you to my whole family that stood by me and my boyfriend of 3months when i found it now he's my husband and we have 2 beautiful children thank fully i found it before i was having any sideeffects because of it.
    congrats to all who have gone thru this and best wishes to those who are dealing with it now!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everyone who has lost someone dear to them....

Best wishes to those who have overcome...

They tell me I'm most like my aunt, but I didn't get to spend a great deal of time with her before the cancer spread to her brain and she died around age 36 or so. :( Hopefully we'll meet someday, Aunt Becky.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    :) We love Beef!!!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A close friend of mine did, scary time but it was overcome, thanks to amazing surgeons and their own determination.
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow I had no idea!!!! Even more of an inspiration :)
  • Chrissytinaz
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed to hear this. My sister had one type of cancer lobular,. something like that. She did chemo, radiation, had a mastectomy and now she has brain tumors. They haven't done surgery for the brain tumors but she did radiation to shrink them. Still waiting to hear if they are gone away. IDK. Definitely a scary thing to go through. It broke my heart to hear her tell me, she was afraid to fall asleep cause she might not wake up. Okay I'm going to stop before the tears start. I'm so glad you're around to tell us how you beat it!