Best post workout snack and why?

Options
I'm not usually hungry after working out, but I've read that it is a good idea to have a small snack anyway. I am thinking this might be a good idea for me since even though I'm not hungry directly after working out, I am suddenly starving within about an hour after.

So what would be a good (and small) snack to have directly (or shortly) after working out...and why do you consider this to be a good choice?

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Lately I've really enjoyed smoothies after my workout. I add 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, roughly 1 cup of frozen fruit, 1/2 banana, about 1/4 cup water, and half a scoop of whey protein powder. Blend it up & it's WONDERFUL! It provides protein for muscle repair & development & natural carbs to replenish energy. Plus vitamins & minerals & all that good stuff. I'm like you and don't normally feel very hungry for a couple of hours if I've worked out hard so I really like that I can drink it. Plus, it's very filling when I am hungry so it works both ways for me. Anyway, I've been having them a lot for breakfast lately after I workout in the morning before work.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • saint84
    saint84 Posts: 2,182
    Options
    If I can stomach it, I'll throw back something like a banana because the glucose will shock the system and send the blood pumping.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well what kind of workout are you doing? I'm doing a heavy strength building routine - really tearing it up, and I feast immediately after that on protein. Sometimes a protein shake, sometimes a can o'tuna, chunkameat if there's leftovers in the fridge. Something like that.

After a straight cardio workout a nanner's not a bad idea. Little carby, not bad. Granola, PB&J, just a little gas in the tank. It's all good. As long as calories in/calories out is right the other stuff is of secondary importance anyways.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a protein shake, sometimes a can o'tuna, chunkameat if there's leftovers in the fridge.

Chunkameat, chunkacow...:laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a protein shake, sometimes a can o'tuna, chunkameat if there's leftovers in the fridge.

In business and formal communication, I am a bit of a language snob and definitely a spelling nazi. I have little patience with those who cannot or will not write clearly and concisely with proper diction, spelling and punctuation.

Informal stuff I make up as I go, with emphasis on cute/funny. :laugh:
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I am doing mostly cardio (usually about 65 minutes on the Elliptical).

The smoothie sounds really good...I also think I will stock up on bananas.

Thanks again for the ideas :smile:
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    there is a website that has all the information you need!!! I posted above
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

In business and formal communication, I am a bit of a language snob and definitely a spelling nazi. I have little patience with those who cannot or will not write clearly and concisely with proper diction, spelling and punctuation.

I am the same way! "Text-speak" like u and ur makes me want to choke someone!
  • saint84
    saint84 Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Lol, my wife will do that and I'm like what on earth are you 14 years old or something? I don't mind acronyms but that lazy texting talk is really annoying.

(geez now I'm looking over what I just typed and wondering if I made any spelling errors) lol
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    lol to the lol. lol wait I don't mind if it is just a texting thing as long as it does not interfere with your pen writing. hahaha youe see I changed it up.