What book has had the greatest influence on your life & why?

Options
holliph
holliph Posts: 88 Member
Since I'm posting the topic I'll start.
My froshman year (no I did not mis spell...I did that intentionally) of college I had to write an essay about myself. Part of that requirement was to read a biography or autobiography that was similar in nature to what my theme was about. The hard part for me was finding a book that paralleled my theme. I did however find Carol Burnette's Biography: One More Time A Memoir.
This woman was remarkable in the fact that she struggled constantly while growing up in her personal life and never once did she let that keep her from achieving her dream/goal that she set for herself in life.
One other key thing in the book she wrote about was paying it forward! An anonymous benefactor helped Carol during an especially difficult period of her life with a note saying when she could pay it forward to someone else in dire need.
I have had several obstacles thrown in my life's path that I have overcome and refused to let it keep me down. Like Carol I have also tried to see/find the humor in the situation as well. It does no good to dwell on the negative.
I have taken every opportunity I can to pay it forward. I will continue to do so. I feel so great when I can. I love seeing the smile light up on the recipients face and in their eyes. My day/week/month is made! The things I have done may have not been huge but every small thing I can do seems to make a big difference in someone else life.

Replies

• The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno

The Wheel of Life - Elizabeth Kubler Ross
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh.

It's a book on meditation and teaches one to enjoy the simplest everyday activities that most of us don't even think about. It really was eye opening and taught me how to relax and let go.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu as interpreted by Ursula k Le guin.
  • Paris11loves
    Options
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    From Me To We by Marc and Craig Kielburger

The Bell Jar showed me that I was not alone in dealing with depression. I read it in high school and the whole time it felt like Plath was saying exactly what I had been thinking for so long. I still find a great comfort in it. It also has inspired me in a number of writing endeavors.

I also read From Me To We in high school and it totally changed the way I look at the world and my own habits. It encouraged me to get involved with Free The Children and since then I have been lucky to meet Craig Kielbuger twice in the past year.

There are so many more, but these are the two I remember right now :)
  • MadiRose2
    MadiRose2 Posts: 145
    Options
    Go Ask Alice

Definitely this one. This book turned me completely away from drugs, without it, and all of the pressures in my school, I don't know what I would have done, because before this book, I wanted to do it all.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh
    You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh.
    :flowerforyou:
    I think this is going on the list... it's where I need to be.
    ...I did however find Carol Burnette's Biography: One More Time A Memoir....
    My Step-Grandfather always said I reminded him of Carol Burnet, because I always went for the gag.
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's a very personal book and it's one that I relate to on so many different levels. The things the main character experiences is truth and I remember thinking the exact same things. It helped me to open up and talk about what I was going through with my family and close friends.
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options

The Bell Jar showed me that I was not alone in dealing with depression. I read it in high school and the whole time it felt like Plath was saying exactly what I had been thinking for so long. I still find a great comfort in it.

This one definitely had the same impact on my life.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From Me To We by Marc and Craig Kielburger

The Bell Jar showed me that I was not alone in dealing with depression. I read it in high school and the whole time it felt like Plath was saying exactly what I had been thinking for so long. I still find a great comfort in it. It also has inspired me in a number of writing endeavors.

I also read From Me To We in high school and it totally changed the way I look at the world and my own habits. It encouraged me to get involved with Free The Children and since then I have been lucky to meet Craig Kielbuger twice in the past year.

There are so many more, but these are the two I remember right now :)

I am going to add The Bell Jar to my list to read. Thank you ALL for you great posts and comments!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The Shack and Heaven Is For Real
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well this is going to sound super nerdy... but one day at Barnes and Noble my daughter asked me to ready "Oh the places you will go" by Dr seuss to her....

No ****, that was the day I started to get my life and career back on track. Such a simple book made me realize that the choice is always mine!
  • Julienetan
    Julienetan Posts: 44
    Options
    Fengshui and destiny book by Raymond Lo. I realize my talent and interest after reading it. I met him once when he came to Singapore with my mom. He used to give free advice over emails.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    In the Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant.

Not everybody who comes into your life was meant to last a lifetime. It taught me to stop hanging on to toxic people in my life and to search for happiness. Don't settle for living in a 'in the meantime ' relationship
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There are so many, The Catcher in the Rye, the Bible, the AA Big Book, Mystical Union - but The Catcher in the Rye simply opened my eyes to a life outside of my own world, and it was a bit biographical at the same time.

I enjoyed Go Ask Alice to, but I was pretty far gone by that point.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    As an avid reader, it's very difficult to pick just one, but two come to mind quickly
    Feeding the Body, Nourishing the Soul by Deborah Kesten (been vegetarian since)
    Golf in the Kingdom by Michael Murphy (finding spirituality in everyday activities)

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    The Water Is Wide by Pat Conroy. The book reinforced my desire to be a teacher. Reading the book in high school, I wanted to be just like him and work in a low income or rural school and "save" the children. And, since life does imitate art, I did end up teaching in a low income school in Charleston, SC my first year teaching and they ate my middle class but up all year. It was the worst and best year of my teaching career. Rereading the book every couple of years, helps me to remember when I step into the classroom I'm not the only one in the room with something worthwhile to teach. When I learned that, I became a real teacher. Sometimes its better to close your mouth and open your ears and hear what the kids have to teach you. Best book ever written (besides the Bible).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    50 shades of grey
    Twilight
    Harry potter

LIKE OMG! It has just complett changed all of my priorites. I ::heats:: it like tons.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTptFZjQPzpMfbG7im-WOBhbTIXdra5apMmmLmoZO09iaZoiigaKw
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A Different Life by Lois Keith. Chose my uni course/career after reading this!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The Shack.....it spoke to me and answered questions. It's a phenomenal read.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The Passion by Jeanette Winterson, made me realise the relationship I was in was going no where!
    This Is All by Aiden Chambers, coming of age story what it means to be a woman, how we become women. Really excellent.
    Not life changing but my fav book of all time is The Collector by John Fowles