Shakes and light-headedness after biking??? Woman problem?

Options
I am training for a bike tour right now--my first one and only 25 miles. It is in one month and I am confident that I will get there in time. However, today I went for 13ish miles. By the time we hit the last hill, I couldn't pedal anymore and walked the rest of the way. Then, at my biking buddy's house, I almost blacked out while I was drinking some water. I am *watch out for this one guys...sorry* on my period. I have done the same length before and felt really good afterward, not shaky and ready to pass out. Would that time of the month make that big of a difference? Unfortunately, I will be having the same problem the day of the tour. Is there anything I can do to make it better??? I'm usually pretty light-headed the first few days....but I can't crap out in the middle of this tour!!!!! Help!

Replies

• Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you went to the doctor for a check up and blood work? Did you just stand up when you became lightheaded?
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Could be low blood sugar.
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    The "monthly gift" can severely effect how you feel after working out, especially that hard! Are you eating enough calories to compensate for the intense exercise and being on your period? We do burn more calories during that time! Good luck! :smile:
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    This is NOT normal. I have done centuries while "on the rag," and never ever experienced anything like this. I suspect anemia, bonking (ie insufficient calories), or blood sugar issues. Are you having any other odd symptoms while not on the bike? Do you have especially heavy periods? I dealt with anemia prior to having thermal ablation, since I have endo and had horrendously heavy periods.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "on the rag"

*Shudder*
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I some times get the same symptoms ( obviously not TOM) and it is usually lack of calories, if I do not eat enough during the day, If I do not drink enough, I do not recognise that I am short of calories. A few weeks ago I just had to stop and rest with a GEL (hate them) for about 20 mins before I could do the last 1000m.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had that problem a few times. I tried drinking a protein shake before I work out and it solved the problem
  • hugthefish
    hugthefish Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! They are all helpful.

I think I had enough calories for the day (I'm not one to try to live on 1200 a day...more like 1800, and yes I can still lose weight) but they may not have been the best kind of calories that particular day. Also, I've always suspected anemia in myself, but the blood work never proves it. Same with other PCOS type issues--I show all the symptoms, but the blood work says I'm fine.

The dizziness was while I was standing, and had been standing for a while. I was careful not to lock my knees, because I've had issues with that in the past too and knew I was feeling a little funky. I had to sit all the way down on the floor so my knees were higher than my heart and that grounded me a bit.

Whoever mentioned burning more calories during the TOM--I had no idea! Is that why we always want to eat everything in sight?

I'll try to check in with the doc before the tour. It's good to know this isn't normal because it makes the working out not so much fun.