All liquid diet for 10 days?

Options
InvidiaXII
InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
But not by choice! I'm getting my tonsils removed on Mon. and the worst of the horror stories I've read said it might be too painful to eat anything other than jello and liquids for up to 10 days... sounds awful, right? I've also heard people lose, on average, 10 lbs after this surgery-- I'm at goal weight and want to lose as little weight as possible. I imagine I'll be drinking a lot of protein shakes.

It's taken a lot of hard work to gain the muscle I have, I'm wondering if it takes as long to lose it? Or, can I expect to see noticeable muscle loss after 10 days of not being able to workout or eat solid food?
Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and can give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Even if people say it takes ten days of liquid foods - this may not be true. It really depends on your pain threshold. If you think you'll be drinking fluids for a few days, protein shakes are a good idea or try a meal replacement such as Ensure. They have a 'high protein' formula which has 12 grams of it in there and there's apparently nutrients in there, alternatively you can also do Vega One which has 15g per serving but also is nutrient-rich.

I had to have extensive dental/mouth surgery a few years back and people told me it hurt like hell and would be eating soft or liquid food for at least a week. 3 1/2 days post-op I was eating semi-solid food and on the 4th day I was eating solids, just finely chopped
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I had mine out as a kid, I remember eating solid food withen a week of it. And that was before they had the laser :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I got mine out as a kid- I fully enjoyed a week of chicken noodle soup and ice cream.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I had stomach surgery a couple of years ago to resolve my GERD. Was on a liquid diet for two weeks, then pureed food and slowly worked my way up from there. I drank a lot of broth and Ensures. I lost weight quickly, but put it all back on (plus some) once I could eat solid food again.

Definitely recommend the protein shakes/powers or ensures. Maybe mix in some greek yogurt so there's a bit more substance?
  • mommydearest4ever
    mommydearest4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out a few years ago, I couldn't eat ice cream, when I tried to swallow it would go up my nose. I ate jello and that was about it for two weeks. Ask your doctor about liquid hydrocodone, after I would take it my throat would numb enough to eat a little solid food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get your adequate calories and macros via liquid form - it may just take a little more planning. For example, add oils to a veggie protein drink (e.g. flaxseed) - and you should be able to have a good balance. Ice cream has protein because of the milk. Not sure if you will be able to eat greek yoghurt - that should be pretty easy to eat. Chocolate milk shoud also be good.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When you have your tonsils removed you may eat to comfort. For most it js a soft or full liquid diet. Full liquid does not mean drinkable. It is things like soup, jello, ice cream, pudding, yogurt type consistancy. You should have no problem making macros. Generally for the first day or 2 you wont want to swallow and cold stuff really helps. Feels good and decreases the inflammatory response. Soups should be eaten luke warm. Feel better.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I feel much less nervous going into it now.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My dad had his out and was eating ice cream within two days. He then ate little else for a week. He was quite happy.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    I ate solid foods like the next day, but the meds they gave me really messed me up so I was just chewing my food threw the pain and didn't no it. Wasn't a good idea cuz it prob
    Made it harder to heal. Also if u can function while on the pain killer u can still lightly workout. I'm sure they will just give u liquid lortab, and that's not a crazy one if u just follow the dosage.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had my tonsils taken out at 24. I had turkey chili the next day.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    But not by choice! I'm getting my tonsils removed on Mon. and the worst of the horror stories I've read said it might be too painful to eat anything other than jello and liquids for up to 10 days... sounds awful, right? I've also heard people lose, on average, 10 lbs after this surgery-- I'm at goal weight and want to lose as little weight as possible. I imagine I'll be drinking a lot of protein shakes.

It's taken a lot of hard work to gain the muscle I have, I'm wondering if it takes as long to lose it? Or, can I expect to see noticeable muscle loss after 10 days of not being able to workout or eat solid food?
    Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and can give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Muscle shrinks if it is not utilised, hence why arms and legs shrink drastically when in a plaster-cast.

However, once that cast is removed and the arm or leg is once again, moving about, it soon regains its former size and magically matches its counterpart.

The same will happen with you. If you are unable to train for those ten days, although your muscles will start to shrink slightly, they will soon regain their former size once you go back to training.

Your major concern should be to recover from your op so that you can give yourself the best chance possible to return to training and that will mean initial rest.
  • Try this with some fruit and ice in a blender. It's delicious. It has like 20 grams of protein I think. I am doing this right now a couple of times a day because of some serious stomach issues. I am only losing like 4 lbs a week.

Damn it's the egg white protein by Jay somebody.