I think I need more fiber....

Options
yeah....I don't need to go into details, but I'm pretty sure my diet is lacking fiber. What are some good fiber-packed foods I can eat? Thanks!

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Fibre 1 cereal, fruits, veggies, quinoa. Any of the fibre or bran bars would help move things along:wink:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Flax Seed is a great thing to add to anything - buy it milled (I found mine by the flour) Just a tablespoon or two can be added to just about anything to up the fiber - cereal, yogurt, soups, chili, in most cases you won't even notice it.
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat a fiber one bar every day-it's like a candy bar but it's fiber!
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of snacks on the market that have fiber. There are also a lot of fruits and vegetables that have fiber. My problem now is that everything that I have in the house has fiber so sometimes I have a hard time staying around the same amount everyday.

Good luck.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    one serving of Great Value ( Walmart ) small red kidney beans....will fill you up!

60 cal
    23g carb
    0 fat
    7g protein
    25mg sodium
    16g FIBER!!

i was recently diagnosed with diverticulosis, and thought i was gettin enuf with fruit, veggies and whole grains. normal is 25-35 a day, but since i have been eating the beans, i am sometimes over 50 to 60. these are the kind you have to soak over nite, then cook for 1-2 hrs, yeah a lengthy process, but i do mine on Sunday, a whole bag and then keep in frig for the week...well worth the effort! my favorite is 2 servings heated with 2 servings of fresh salsa in a wrap! YUM! very healthy and so far, no tootin yet! :tongue:

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ever thought of a colon cleanse. About once a month for three days, I take HealthPlus Colon Cleanse. It does not have a laxative effect either. My doctor told me that it is good for people who lack sufficient fiber in their diet. It maintains my regularity. You can find information about it here:

http://www.healthplusinc.com/products/6

~Jay
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I LOVE just a plain ol' apple for fiber!! Oatmeal and dates are also great options. Just make sure you don't get the oatmeal that's loaded with sugars. The most important part about upping fiber to correct, shall we say...deficiencies...is to stay consistant with your fiber intake. You won't see results overnight. Just keep it up and you'll be back in balance in no time! :) Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to drink plenty of water with your fiber or the problem may get worse. Fiber needs water to do its thing
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Make sure all your grains are whole - whole wheat bread that has as the first ingredient "STONE-GROUND WHOLE WHEAT", brown rice, whole wheat pasta... you get the idea. And just eat lots of clean whole foods - fruits, veggies, beans, and whole grains are all packed with fiber. It's the fake "foods" people make in a test tube that are void of both fiber and virtually any nutritional value.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Just be sure to drink plenty of water with your fiber or the problem may get worse. Fiber needs water to do its thing

Oh yes! Good point! Water, water, water! :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Green beans have fiber. I had to feed them to your niece to help with her fiber intake! :wink: Any kind of beans too.

Warning: Fiber One bars are great and taste good too. Be aware that you will be able to clear the room later.... and I'm not just talking about running off the husband, I'm talking about being able to make the dog leave the room!! :noway: I only eat them for breakfast when I know I will have an evening alone. :blushing:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Warning: Fiber One bars are great and taste good too. Be aware that you will be able to clear the room later.... and I'm not just talking about running off the husband, I'm talking about being able to make the dog leave the room!! :noway: I only eat them for breakfast when I know I will have an evening alone. :blushing:

WAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I'm honest to a fault. :drinker:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Definitely water with your fiber and don't increase too drastically too quickly. When I started tracking my meals and eating tons more fiber, I was so bloated I looked pregnant. Now I eat around 30 g fiber per day and feel wonderful :happy:
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fiber One has lots of great products ... cereal, muffin mixes, pancake mix, yogurt, even pop tarts! Everything I have tried is really good. I usually eat half a fiber bar because they are so rich -- and I have a huge sweet tooth!

Has anyone tried those dried prunes they advertise that are individually wrapped?
  • KendalBeee
    Options

Just so you know, the next thing on my To Do list is to edit the pictures from Friday night. I just finished loading the BalloonFest pics on facebook last night so Friday's pics will be edited and maybe loaded tonight. Every time I look at your profile pic here it reminds me to get it done.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Just so you know, the next thing on my To Do list is to edit the pictures from Friday night. I just finished loading the BalloonFest pics on facebook last night so Friday's pics will be edited and maybe loaded tonight. Every time I look at your profile pic here it reminds me to get it done.

Yes, hurry up and load pics of me and your darling niece.
    And eat some fiber. :glasses:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    They are awesome. Especially when you need immediate relief.:bigsmile: Amazing and nutritious.
    Has anyone tried those dried prunes they advertise that are individually wrapped?
  • KendalBeee
    Options
    I had a small golden delicious apple and a banana today....mfp says the banana has more fiber than the apple! Is that across the board or does a different type of apple have more fiber?
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I dunno ... Nutrition Advisor says apples have more fiber than bananas ... but they are both good for what ails you ...