Hello, I'm new here! (Anyone from Wakefield, UK?)

Options
I'm not off to a great start. I'm not exercising, and still eating whatever I want, but I'm ready for a lifestyle change!
I'm sick of my big belly (or 'cake table'), and being told "you'd be pretty if you lost weight".
I came here because it looks like a great way to get/give motivation from/to people who are also losing weight, and hopefully get tips from people who have been a success! Finding some healthy recipes and tips for controlling calorie intake would be nice too.

I'd love to meet new people, in my area and around the world.

A few quick questions: has anyone joined Weight Watchers or any other weight loss group? If so, do you find it helps you? Or do you find that free internet resources are enough? I don't want to spend the money on joining to find it's a waste of time.

Also, how do you keep motivated? I've tried weight-loss before, but the temptation of sweet and unhealthy things got the best of me, and exercising on my own didn't stick.

Replies

• LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i live near worksop which isnt that far from wakefield! iv personally never gotten along with WW or SW so i just stick to calorie counting its worked for me iv lost about 63lbs since i started doing it!

the only thing to keep me motivated is going down on the scales and smaller clothes! im also getting married in 16weeks so i wanna stay thin for that!

good luck with your weight loss!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi I live in Darlington (bit North) but would love to be your friend :D
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm just down the road in Huddersfield. Nice to find someone local! I've done every diet going but have given into temptation (I have a very sweet tooth & basically love food!!) every time!
    The resources on this site are fab and I feel much more motivated to give it a real shot this time. I'm nearly 38 and determined not to be fat at forty :(
    I joined here a few weeks ago, but only started in earnest last Sunday and am already almost half a stone lighter. I'm seriously thinking about starting running this week and have downloaded the C25K podcasts.
    Add me if you want? Be good to compare notes and motivate each other :-)
    Anna x
  • Bouken
    Bouken Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you, that really helps a lot! Congratulations on your marriage!

Do you mind if I add you as a friend?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I have friends who found Weightwatchers, Rosemary Conley and Slimming World very helpful. I haven't found that they worked well for me. Last time I did Slimming World I hated it. So for me, they were a waste of money (and they're quite expensive).

I started off losing weight mainly by just eating 3 meals a day during the week (the "No S Diet"). But I got tempted into logging my calories, so I ended up here! If I ever get fed up with logging, I'll just stick to the 3 meals a day again - it seems to work for me. I have a lot to lose, so it has to be something I can stick to through possibly a couple of years of weight loss and beyond in maintenance. I always thought that I need to eat small meals/snacks through the day to keep going, but I found that once I got in the habit of 3 meals, I didn't really feel hungry in between.

I started off by exercising a tiny bit. 10 minutes here and there, a walk round the block or an exercise video on youtube. You don't have to go all out with an hour at the gym every day. I believe that every little bit helps!

Good luck!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Bit further away in Nottingham here but I think weight loss is something that just clicks one day and you decide that whatever happens you're doing it!

Personally I can't see the point of converting foods to points or syn values before you count them, it's basically just a system to keep you loyal to their brand and when most foods come with a calorie count which is easily found I'd rather stick with that and save my fiver a week to spend in the greengrocers!

When you see the pounds rolling off you may find the sweet stuff easier to ignore. Good luck!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wakefield (near bretton park)! Where abouts are you?
    Do you use a gym? I go to greens on Denby dale road :-)

I find that ww / Sw don't work for me as you are 'punished' for eating things like cake which I don't like!!
    Just tracking cals / macros works a lot better as you can have the occasional chocolate / cake / takeaway etc if it fits in your day, it's more about learning long term healthy eating habits rather than just a 'diet' that ends when you lose the weight (which usually goes back on when the 'diet' ends lol
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bouken,

Many of us know exactly what you are going through, believe me. I am sure the ladies who have already posted will agree. It is nice to have people who live close by, if you can meet up and motivate each other, but don't disregard just online friends. I am a transplanted Brit, now living in Florida, and I have to say, the group of friends I have made online are fabulous! Waterbunnie, who has already posted earlier, has become one of my good friends, and we look forward to meeting each other one day.

I have done the Weight Watcher, and many other diets along the way, and to be honest, this is the only thing that has been a life changing thing. No fads, no gimmicks, no quick fixes, no DIETS... you are changing your lifestyle, your mindset. I truly believe that your mind is one of the things that has to change, not just your eating habits. I have been doing this now, for 78 days, and so far, have lost 22lb and 59". Gone from a US size 22 to a US 14 (almost 12) jeans. I still have a LONG way to go, but I believe it is doable. I don't go to the gym, I don't have a personal trainer.. I log EVERYTHING I eat and drink, and I know, that if I give up.. I will feel bad tomorrow. Get yourself a group of MFP friends that you can support and they support you. It helps A LOT!

I wish you every success on your journey to a healthier happier you.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Hey hun I'm from Barnsley not so far from you, add me please :)