Plan, log as you go, or log at end of day?

Options
, Hi all,

Was just interested how the rest of you guys, fill your food diary.
I am finding it works well for me to semi plan the days meals in the morning and amend where necessary as the day goes on.
I find it helps with exercise too, while I try and get some exercise in every day, if I can see what the days cals will be, I am more likely to walk home from work rather than getting the bus.

Replies

• ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I used to log as I went along / just before I ate the meal so that I could see what I was eating. But I have been at this for 8 months or so and so I now just log at the end of the day as I am aware of what calories are in what I eat.

I know that if I am going to go over I go to the gym before going home lol...

Whatever works for you?
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I try to log my food in the night before or first thing in the morning and if I have to tweak it during the day, I do!!
  • RhianAlyssa
    Options
    I only just joined yesterday so I've been logging as I go, but as I have quite high cal breakfasts (I'm a chocolate milk addict), I think it might be a good idea to plan in advance as I don't want to get to dinner time & be like, "Crap! I've run out of calories!"

And like you said, we can always change it as the day progresses :)
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Due to not being able to log while at work, I pre log everything in my lunchbox M-F...what I dont eat (rare) I remove from my diary. I log my dinner as I go...weekends, I log as I go.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like to log as I go or when I get home if I went somewhere. I like to eat what I want at the time so I don't plan out what I am going to eat.
  • Ke3z
    Ke3z Posts: 7
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be eating more than usual (going out for dinner or on a holiday) or won't be exercising, I'll pre-log my expected meals so I can plan the portion sizes for each meal. Otherwise, I just log as I go. (Because I have a terrible memory, I have my iPhone MFP app set to remind me after each meal time in case I forget to log.)

It's probably a good idea to start by pre-logging, especially if you don't have a good sense of the calorie content of the foods you eat. Once you've been doing it for a while you may decide to switch to the log-as-you-go method.
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    I normally log everything before I eat it, but not the day before or in the morning, because I often don't know what I'm going to eat exactly.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner. I have a very low calorie goal, so if I don't plan properly I either go way over my calories or I end up hungry with no calories left before the day is done. I also work 12 hour graveyard shifts at work, so I need to know what to pack, plus being hungry is not really okay (try saying no to the Milky Way in the vending machine when you are exhausted and hungry!). If I plan properly, I can get the most food for my calorie buck.

If I decide to "cheat" then at least I have an idea of how close to my calorie goal I was supposed to be so I can make an informed decision about how far I go over. If I had 200 calories to spare and I really want that 300 calorie slice of pizza, I might just go ahead and accept being over by 100 calories. On the other hand, if I was right on target then being over 300 calories is not so okay. It might also make the difference in me deciding to have one slice or two.

I'd rather see my potential pitfalls ahead of time rather than to look back and say, "Oops!"
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I usually pre-log during the week but on weekends I tend to log as I go as I often eat out etc. It works for me!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I log my day in the morning. That way I can decide on what snacks are going to fit into my day. I can go back in and edit if I need to, but it has helped me plan better. Also, if I want to have a special dinner, I can plan my lunch and breakfast to allow for that.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    semi plan during the week, unless I already know what I'm having for dinner I fill that part in as well, if I don't then I plan as I go. Weekends are a little harder for me to plan though lol.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I def log as I go. Either right after the meal or right before. Incase something sneaks a few extra calories in on me I know to reduce the amount on my plate or that i should reduce the next meal.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    It depends, sometimes i plan because i hate after I ate something and go to log it and its like THAT WAS HOW MANY CALS? O.O. Otherwise i usually log as i go, if im free to eat im usually free to use my phone or if im out on a date or something then obviously i log afterward.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I do a 'rough draft' and then usually deviate from it around 3pm - :laugh: . Though that seems like a cop out, things can go even more awry if I don't even TRY to plan ahead...
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I am totally a planner!!! On weekends I cook up some breakfasts and meals ahead. Then I even put them in for the week. This helps me see what needs to be tweaked ahead of time to meet my nutritional and overall health & exercise goals. Yes, there are days I have to tweak or plans change (go out to lunch w/ the girls, unplanned); but this helps me NOT have to make decisions during the week. Just look at the diary and then eat!

It is also helps when there are events coming up. Becuase then I KNOW that I need to be really good all week long and then can plan for the event a little better!!

I think you're doing the right thing... plan and log ahead!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    log as i go
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Log as I go, or in the mornings if I already know vaguely what I'm going to be eating that day, then I tweak it.