Lost my motivation and drive

Options
I have been on a plateau for seven weeks....just jumping up and down the 250s. And to make matters worst I sprained my ankle a week ago! I just feel lost and tired of dieting. I don't want to give up because I was doing so good. I just don't know how to get my motivation and drive back!

Replies

• jbaldwi
    jbaldwi Posts: 2
    Options
    I understand....its hard for me to stay motivated as well..

I'll do good, then I'm back to eating all the comfort foods I enjoy so much!

I would suggest aiming for something in particualar...for example, if its a holiday, concert, wedding, trip, or whatever you'll like to look great for, aim for that.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    You didn't lose it... you just misplaced it. I, too, have hit a bit of a wall... (over the last several weeks) I put it out of my mind... I don't stand on the scale... I just think about how I'm feeling after I work out... I focus on how my clothes are fitting (or, no longer fitting!), and know I'm still working towards my goals... looking better in my 40's than I did in my 20's!

Tweak some stuff... change what or how you're eating a bit... if you're doing strength training or cardio, switch that up a bit... if you've been really consistent, your body may have reached that level of efficiency that gets you stuck a bit... This may sound nutty, but have a crazy cheat day... sometimes your body needs something to work on... you overload your system a bit and it'll force it to get back to work... (just don't make the day several days or a week...)
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    When I get like that, I just force myself to do it. No matter how much I want to cry and scream and throw a temper tantrum (because sometimes this whole thing does feel overwhelming and impossible), I still log my food and get my exercise in. I may not give 100% those days, but I give something, and that helps get me back on track.
  • ClamplOveGLC
    Options
    It's always tough when you lose motivation.
    But is that what you should be saying now?
    Think back on that moment when you decided to do this.
    Who was it for? What was it for? Why did you work so hard?
    Don't you remember that glorious moment when you decided to change and started to make it happen?
    Take it easy with the ankle, but think of switching it up a bit when you get back on track.
    When I get lazy, I try asking a friend to check up on me.
    Then I'll feel guilty and start running with my friend.
    When we're tired, we'll run down the block screaming, "It's for Robert Downey Jr.!!!!"
    If you're plateauing, it just means you hit a wall.
    You can choose a method of overcoming it.
    Some people just bulldoze right through or some people just jump over it.
    It really depends on you.
    What can you do? :D
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You could try eating more to break the plateau, some find it helps a lot, I use this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I get like that, I just force myself to do it. No matter how much I want to cry and scream and throw a temper tantrum (because sometimes this whole thing does feel overwhelming and impossible), I still log my food and get my exercise in. I may not give 100% those days, but I give something, and that helps get me back on track.

Yeah, this! Or we could yell at you? would that help? :)
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I added calories to my diet after a long plateau - I was eating only 10-20% less than maintenance. I did that for a few weeks and went back to restricting and I seem to be pushing that scale down easier again.
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I was there a few weeks ago.

I put the scale away for a month and told myself, either you're getting better or you're getting worse. I knew that I was doing everything right: working out, eating right.... the only change I made during that month was upping my fiber and water, and upping my calories by 300! (yes) That seemed to do the trick.

Don't give up, if ALL of these people can do it, so can you.
  • nell1972
    nell1972 Posts: 19
    Options
    Oh, me too!! I've been doing this 6 weeks, and I've lost just shy of 6 lbs - I'm set to lose 1lb per week so I guess that's about right. But I actually lost most of that in the first 3-4 weeks, and then I've hovered just above and below my current weight by 1 lb or so for the last 2 weeks.

I'm running 3-4 times a week, plus some cycling and walking at the weekends, but I've been feeling so frustrated and hungry that I have also lapsed back into comfort eating. I've been logging all the junk I'm shovelling in, and I'm still exercising, but I don't feel very good about it all right now. I'm just hoping I can get it back!
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My ultimate motivation? I look at old pictures. I remind myself why I'm doing this ---> for me (No one else BUT ME!)
    If you are doing this for someone else, it doesn't always work out in the end.
    I have a picture that I call "Jabba the Hut". It was taken a year after I had my first child a decade ago. I was at 230 lbs only difference is the previous year that was my heaviest when I was pregnant with my baby girl. I managed to drop 65lbs but then found out I was pregnant with my 2nd. Needless to say I had total of 4 kids later, got divorced and back on my weight loss journey at starting weight of 215 lbs.

Although I dislike the camera, I've taken progress picture of the 60+ lbs I've lost since last year. I've broken 150 lbs glass ceiling and I'm working towards 130 lbs before I reassess what to do next. Size 17/18 to size 7/8 and still shrinking.
    It's all mental game. You can push your body! You can do this. Don't give up!!

Change your eating habit- caloric cycling. Try other workouts! Change things up!! Keep your body guessing!!!
  • DanaNicolle
    DanaNicolle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can DO IT! Get back TO IT! I've lost and gained weight back twice before. It is an awful feeling. I have felt myself slipping back into old habits for a couple of weeks now. WE CAN DO THIS!